Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,293 Members 39,163 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Decent android phone with physical keyboard?

Tip us?

Xperia_Play
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Decent android phone with physical keyboard?

Hey, it's my sister's birthday coming up and she wants a new phone. So being the android fan that I am, I want to get here an android. However, she's slightly autistic and struggles with touch screen keyboards (She used to own a touch screen Samsung and has an android tablet) since she got herself a crabberry I have noticed a huge improvment in her typing and she has even told me she doesn't want to get a phone where she is required to use a touch screen to type.

So my question is, are there any half-decent android phones with a physical qwerty keyboard on the market right now that aren't ridiculously priced?

Thank you in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xperia_Play For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

niziou
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I think there is no fresh model with physical keyboard. I once had HTC chacha and it was probably last decent android phone with qwerty keyboard

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to niziou For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Trozzul
Old
Thanks Meter 193

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xperia_Play View Post
Hey, it's my sister's birthday coming up and she wants a new phone. So being the android fan that I am, I want to get here an android. However, she's slightly autistic and struggles with touch screen keyboards (She used to own a touch screen Samsung and has an android tablet) since she got herself a crabberry I have noticed a huge improvment in her typing and she has even told me she doesn't want to get a phone where she is required to use a touch screen to type.

So my question is, are there any half-decent android phones with a physical qwerty keyboard on the market right now that aren't ridiculously priced?

Thank you in advance.
niziou is right, i dont think they make physical keyboard phones anymore.
"Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.'
"How do you know I'm mad?' said Alice.
"You must be,' said the Cat, 'or you wouldn't have come here."

Motorola Moto X
Stock KitKat (4.4.2) XT1060
Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
Rom: Cyanogemod 11 (4.4.4) P5113
Asus Nexus 7
Stock (4.4.2) Broken Digitizer, any recommendations on amazon?
Chromecast
Stock
Nikon Coolpix s800c
Stock Gingerbread (2.3.3)

tech_yeet
Old
Thanks Meter 1
The DROlD 4 is you best bet.

Planterz
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Default Q

Depends on the carrier (assuming you're in the US). The 4 major carriers all have or had sliding QWERTY keyboard phones, but nothing terribly recent. AT&T had the Samsung Captivate Glide, T-Mobile had the LG F3Q, Sprint had the Motorola Photon Q, Verizon had the Droid series. They're at least a couple years old, and none run anything newer than 4.0 or 4.1.

I feel weird saying this, and it's probably the only time I've ever recommended looking at a BlackBerry, but check out the Q10. Classic BB keyboard, a smallish 3.1" 720p screen (1:1 ratio, that's kinda weird), OK processor, 2gb RAM. Stuff apparently runs smooth and snappy, although the gesture-based navigation is very unlike Android or iOS. The main reason I'd say to look at one is that BB OS 10.2 can run Android apps (via side-loading, I assume) that are 4.1 JB compatible and earlier. The Q10 is available on pretty much any provider.

Otherwise, you're looking at finding a good condition used or refurbed or possibly NOS Android from a couple years ago or so. The LG F3Q is actually pretty new (came out in January), but its specs aren't. The good news is that any of those older ones should be pretty cheap.
Relax, go nutz!

tech_yeet
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planterz View Post
Depends on the carrier (assuming you're in the US). The 4 major carriers all have or had sliding QWERTY keyboard phones, but nothing terribly recent. AT&T had the Samsung Captivate Glide, T-Mobile had the LG F3Q, Sprint had the Motorola Photon Q, Verizon had the Droid series. They're at least a couple years old, and none run anything newer than 4.0 or 4.1.

I feel weird saying this, and it's probably the only time I've ever recommended looking at a BlackBerry, but check out the Q10. Classic BB keyboard, a smallish 3.1" 720p screen (1:1 ratio, that's kinda weird), OK processor, 2gb RAM. Stuff apparently runs smooth and snappy, although the gesture-based navigation is very unlike Android or iOS. The main reason I'd say to look at one is that BB OS 10.2 can run Android apps (via side-loading, I assume) that are 4.1 JB compatible and earlier. The Q10 is available on pretty much any provider.

Otherwise, you're looking at finding a good condition used or refurbed or possibly NOS Android from a couple years ago or so. The LG F3Q is actually pretty new (came out in January), but its specs aren't. The good news is that any of those older ones should be pretty cheap.
aw man I forgot all about those phones

racastro
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Sorry. I think there is no recent smartphone with physical keyboard

xdajog
Old
Thanks Meter 40

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planterz View Post

Well that is not completely true. To be honest I can talk about the captivate glide only but for it there are 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 and of course also the newest 4.4 Android version available as custom rom. If you have no fear to install a custom rom I absolutely and highly recommend the captivate glide. Depends on what your preferences are but in my case it is the best qwerty atm. At least for me because I live in Europe and I do not want to do any physical SIM mods etc like you need to do for the Photon e.g.

The Glide has a a good community and many different roms available.
The LG Optimus F3Q which was released this year is available at tmobile only atm. That and the fact that it is quite new results in not a good support for custom roms for it atm. That may / hopefully will change (there is already work on this) but who knows what happens. So IMHO buy a glide

Jm5c
Xdajog

Sent from my SGH-I927 using XDA Free mobile app
I really love keyboard smartphones ...
PETITION FOR MORE QWERTY PHONES! >Click here< and sign the petition so Qwerty may not die...

My "Keyboard-History"

Alive:
Samsung Captivate Glide / SGH-I927 (rollin on sediROM v1.0)
LG Optimus F3Q (rollin on Stock JB, rooted)

Retired:

HTC Desire Z / Vision (my 1st Droid ) , Nokia N97 mini, Nokia E90 Communicator, Nokia 9300i Communicator, Nokia 9210 Communicator, Nokia 9500 Communicator