Easily Generate and Export Material Design Palletes

For many people, it can be pretty difficult to create a palette of complementary colors. … more

Android One Expanding to Bangladesh, Nepal, and Sri Lanka

At Google I/O 2013, Google proudly announced that the Android operating system was … more

Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Decent android phone with physical keyboard?

OP Xperia_Play

16th June 2014, 03:13 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 4

30 posts
Hey, it's my sister's birthday coming up and she wants a new phone. So being the android fan that I am, I want to get here an android. However, she's slightly autistic and struggles with touch screen keyboards (She used to own a touch screen Samsung and has an android tablet) since she got herself a crabberry I have noticed a huge improvment in her typing and she has even told me she doesn't want to get a phone where she is required to use a touch screen to type.

So my question is, are there any half-decent android phones with a physical qwerty keyboard on the market right now that aren't ridiculously priced?

Thank you in advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to Xperia_Play For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2014, 05:27 PM   |  #2  
Flag Cracow
Thanks Meter: 7

22 posts
More
I think there is no fresh model with physical keyboard. I once had HTC chacha and it was probably last decent android phone with qwerty keyboard

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to niziou For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th June 2014, 08:09 PM   |  #3  
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xperia_Play

Hey, it's my sister's birthday coming up and she wants a new phone. So being the android fan that I am, I want to get here an android. However, she's slightly autistic and struggles with touch screen keyboards (She used to own a touch screen Samsung and has an android tablet) since she got herself a crabberry I have noticed a huge improvment in her typing and she has even told me she doesn't want to get a phone where she is required to use a touch screen to type.

So my question is, are there any half-decent android phones with a physical qwerty keyboard on the market right now that aren't ridiculously priced?

Thank you in advance.

niziou is right, i dont think they make physical keyboard phones anymore.
18th June 2014, 05:25 PM   |  #4  
Flag Winston Salem

29 posts
More
The DROlD 4 is you best bet.
18th June 2014, 08:27 PM   |  #5  
Flag Tucson, AZ
Thanks Meter: 316

1,101 posts
More
Q
Depends on the carrier (assuming you're in the US). The 4 major carriers all have or had sliding QWERTY keyboard phones, but nothing terribly recent. AT&T had the Samsung Captivate Glide, T-Mobile had the LG F3Q, Sprint had the Motorola Photon Q, Verizon had the Droid series. They're at least a couple years old, and none run anything newer than 4.0 or 4.1.

I feel weird saying this, and it's probably the only time I've ever recommended looking at a BlackBerry, but check out the Q10. Classic BB keyboard, a smallish 3.1" 720p screen (1:1 ratio, that's kinda weird), OK processor, 2gb RAM. Stuff apparently runs smooth and snappy, although the gesture-based navigation is very unlike Android or iOS. The main reason I'd say to look at one is that BB OS 10.2 can run Android apps (via side-loading, I assume) that are 4.1 JB compatible and earlier. The Q10 is available on pretty much any provider.

Otherwise, you're looking at finding a good condition used or refurbed or possibly NOS Android from a couple years ago or so. The LG F3Q is actually pretty new (came out in January), but its specs aren't. The good news is that any of those older ones should be pretty cheap.
18th June 2014, 10:05 PM   |  #6  
Flag Winston Salem

29 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planterz

Depends on the carrier (assuming you're in the US). The 4 major carriers all have or had sliding QWERTY keyboard phones, but nothing terribly recent. AT&T had the Samsung Captivate Glide, T-Mobile had the LG F3Q, Sprint had the Motorola Photon Q, Verizon had the Droid series. They're at least a couple years old, and none run anything newer than 4.0 or 4.1.

I feel weird saying this, and it's probably the only time I've ever recommended looking at a BlackBerry, but check out the Q10. Classic BB keyboard, a smallish 3.1" 720p screen (1:1 ratio, that's kinda weird), OK processor, 2gb RAM. Stuff apparently runs smooth and snappy, although the gesture-based navigation is very unlike Android or iOS. The main reason I'd say to look at one is that BB OS 10.2 can run Android apps (via side-loading, I assume) that are 4.1 JB compatible and earlier. The Q10 is available on pretty much any provider.

Otherwise, you're looking at finding a good condition used or refurbed or possibly NOS Android from a couple years ago or so. The LG F3Q is actually pretty new (came out in January), but its specs aren't. The good news is that any of those older ones should be pretty cheap.

aw man I forgot all about those phones
19th June 2014, 12:57 PM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 2

41 posts
Sorry. I think there is no recent smartphone with physical keyboard
19th July 2014, 05:59 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 189

243 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planterz

Well that is not completely true. To be honest I can talk about the captivate glide only but for it there are 4.0, 4.1, 4.2 and of course also the newest 4.4 Android version available as custom rom. If you have no fear to install a custom rom I absolutely and highly recommend the captivate glide. Depends on what your preferences are but in my case it is the best qwerty atm. At least for me because I live in Europe and I do not want to do any physical SIM mods etc like you need to do for the Photon e.g.

The Glide has a a good community and many different roms available.
The LG Optimus F3Q which was released this year is available at tmobile only atm. That and the fact that it is quite new results in not a good support for custom roms for it atm. That may / hopefully will change (there is already work on this) but who knows what happens. So IMHO buy a glide

Jm5c
Xdajog

Sent from my SGH-I927 using XDA Free mobile app

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread