Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,436 Members 45,065 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[FAQ] Jan 2014 Bionic handbook

Tip us?

Shakkuras
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default CM11 NavDock DOES work

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschang View Post
1) Only stock based ROMs have dock support... ANY dock support. That includes HD dock, Nav Dock, clock/desk dock, etc.

HashCode said NavDock was on the todo list for CM10 for MONTHS... until Bionic fell off the scope. So I guess that's our "last best hope".

You can work around the Nav Dock by having in-car bluetooth autorun the car mode app. Not as convenient, but tolerable.
There was a commit back around 04/08/2014 that enabled USB analog dock audio for OMAP4; there was another dock-related OMAP4 commit on 04/06/2014 as well. Since the 04/09/2014 nightly build on CM11, my Moto NavDock works - the phone automatically recognizes NavDock insertion and opens my chosen car mode app (I use IBolt as my dock screen software), and closes out from it upon removal. Audio via the dock's split USB cable functions as well. The phone successfully recognizes and sets car mode (seen in notifications), but you need a program installed to handle car mode, as otherwise it does nothing.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shakkuras For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kschang
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakkuras View Post
There was a commit back around 04/08/2014 that enabled USB analog dock audio for OMAP4; there was another dock-related OMAP4 commit on 04/06/2014 as well. Since the 04/09/2014 nightly build on CM11, my Moto NavDock works - the phone automatically recognizes NavDock insertion and opens my chosen car mode app (I use IBolt as my dock screen software), and closes out from it upon removal. Audio via the dock's split USB cable functions as well. The phone successfully recognizes and sets car mode (seen in notifications), but you need a program installed to handle car mode, as otherwise it does nothing.
I noticed that the 4/15 nightly of SlimKat does this too. May have to revise my statement.

kschang
Old
Thanks Meter 54
A couple notes on hardware...

1) It is possible to replace the trim piece (that metalic looking cover on top that goes around the screen and buttons, has the Verizon logo), you can often find it on Amazon or eBay, but it's a pretty involved process as it uses a trimmed sheet adhesive. Probably not worth the effort, just put a case on it.

2) I got the Diztronic case that fits the extended battery. Fits like a glove, cheap (about $10) feels grippy and pliant, doesn't add too much bulk (still fits into docks).

3) You can get super-extended battery that's even bigger than the BX8 extended battery, but those often requires its own battery back, and thus no longer fit into docks. If you have no docks this doesn't affect you much, except those super-sized setup are too big to fit into belt cases and such, so you'll have to carry the phone naked, and the battery backs often comes with bad tolerance problems. I bought one and I had to sand down a lot of areas to get it to fit properly.

4) If you have the extended battery, your best option for belt case is... wait for it... a Mophie Juicepack Belt Case for iPhone 5, available at most Best Buys for $29.95. It's designed for iPhone 5 with the extended battery case by Mophie, but it fits the Bionic quite well. Your other option is order one of those (p)leather cases off Amazon. There's one that has the clip AND two belt loops for under $10, and it fits surprisingly well.

5) The best car dock is still the Moto NavDock.

windwise
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Very useful to me,thanks a lot.

从我的 XT875 上通过 xda-developers.com 发送 powered by appyet.com

chrisp6825
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 30
Just wanted to note, I've moved much of my focus to a new device (moto x), and won't be paying full attention to the Bionic development anymore.

I do still have the device and am planning to use for a project in the future, although it's battery is seriously shot (wont hold a charge for more than 7 hours, even with screen off the whole time).
I still checkout the various forums I used to frequent over the years, but I know that will become less and less over time.

If anyone spots any out-dated info in this thread, please feel free to post here or PM me to let me know, and I'll update the original posts. I'm glad this thread was able to help a few people, and I hope it continues to help long after activity dies and info is buried.

Live long Bionic scene, the most helpful/entertaining/surprising phone group I've been a part of. lol
http://www.speedtest.net/result/1312133195.png

Current Device : Moto X (vzw/no-root/no-dev)
Past Devices :

Droid Bionic, Moto Atrix 3G, HTC MyTouch 3G, Palm Treo 750, Moto Razr v3 ...
Tags
bionic, faq, guide