Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,793 Members 41,556 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MHL Cable/Adaptor Recomendation

Tip us?

lovemyram4x4
Old
Thanks Meter 11
I've been using a Rocketfish MHL adapter for the appradio in the wifey's car until I can get an adequate mirrorcast dongle.

I haven't had any issues with it. It also comes with a 11 pin adapter for newer Samsung devices.

The Samsung branded 5 pin MHL adapters should also work and be found in stores(they had them at my local Bestbuy along with the Rocketfish I bought).

I'm not sure exactly what you're looking to do, but maybe some sort of cast dongle might be a better option.

For streaming I like using chromecast best(there's 3rd party ones that support chromecast/mirrorcast/DLNA/airplay in one unit). The user experience is much nicer with chromecast but you're limited to using apps with cast icons and a wireless network(mirrorcast/dnla don't require this).

For screen mirroring a straight HDMI cable works best but not even Motorola puts HDMI ports on their devices anymore. MHL adapters work for the most part just as well but can have more failure points and compatibility issues. I haven't tried mirrorlink yet(I do have a new appradio that supports mirrorlink as well as HDMI but it's still in the box) but from what I under stand it's not as fast as HDMI and may give noticeable lag.

Sent from my D6503 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

ahvipardik
Old
Thanks Meter 64
Bought chromecast, and it gets the job done with rooted device.

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Free mobile app

cHoLoCoY
Old
Thanks Meter 4
got one from amazon (brand: Cable Matters),.... ordered a 11-pin by accident,... and obviously that didn't work,..

so i ordered the 5-pin version and it worked just find,.... but it does need to be powered with the micro USB for it to work
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006V6N9NM/...ter_B00JXUCVXC

does anyone know if there's an MHL adapter that doesn't require to be plugged in the wall outlet????