photon q unlocking have got questions

21st January 2014, 02:25 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

28 posts
id like to say iI solved both issues from the previous thread, battery had a small tear in the ribbon causing intermittent connection issues so here's the questions
1. I plan on doing the sim card mod to this unit and was wondering how the mod functioned in the states and what software/boot loader unlocking and or carrier unlocking can be done to accomplish this?

2. I attempted to unlock the boot loader last night and the Motorola website claims the unit is not unlockable the phone is from sprint and it is a photon q late, anyone else have unlocking issues?

3. I am no stranger to hardware modding, but am a ccomparative noob when it comes to boot loader unlocker and or carrier unlocking so advice in this area would be helpful as well, are they different or the same thing?
i
24th January 2014, 06:15 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 57

160 posts
Quote:

2. I attempted to unlock the boot loader last night and the Motorola website claims the unit is not unlockable the phone is from sprint and it is a photon q late, anyone else have unlocking issues?

This is the only thing I can legitimately comment on. I just unlocked my replacement Photon and it took about 7 times of entering the adb id code into the Motorola site to actually get it right. :

- The fact that there are around 22 0's in a row doesn't help, double check your entry a few
- omit anything that isn't a single letter, number, etc (can't remember if they use symbols). The [info] or I think [bootloader] before each line, any spaces, etc.
- save your id and the email with your unlock code. Not sure if you'll need it but you never know
25th January 2014, 11:13 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 137

311 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecrabs

i got that same before, i ty many times and allways without success, but there is a motorola unlocking tool http://phandroid.com/2013/04/09/moto...ader-unlock-2/ (download link on the bottom)

you must have root , unknow surces checked on and phone in debuging mode after you press run.bat from unziped file

regards
29th January 2014, 01:54 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

28 posts
ok so i was able to acheive root, Fixed the bump shutoffs and fixed the fastboot dropping out issues, and actually managed to unlock the bootloader but now im planning on doing the Cornholio's sim card mod and want to know what software should be flashed b4 i mod the sim slot to flush out the old sprint garabage, also i noticed Cornholio mentioned that the "NV" needed editing to make the unit useable on GSM in the USA networks soo any further info would be very helpful
30th January 2014, 03:26 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

28 posts
ok so i messed something up, got cmrcovery installed, an attempted to flash a custom rom, and well, it didnt work, it aborted half way though the installation and left me kinda cold, I can boot into CWM recovery but thats about it soo since this is my first attempt at all this I could use alil direction on how to correct this lil fubar anyone got any Advice?

Edit So phones now fixxed and booting again, Have Cwm version 6013 got the Stable version of cwm and the rom installed correctly and booted So heres the Question Of the Day, how Do i Edit the NV to get this sucker Usable On USA GSM NEtworks?
Last edited by Morecrabs; 30th January 2014 at 04:25 AM.
17th July 2014, 02:42 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
Same question! i have the hard mod and software mod done but it need to NV edit so that i can have it work on gsm networks with at&t.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecrabs

ok so i messed something up, got cmrcovery installed, an attempted to flash a custom rom, and well, it didnt work, it aborted half way though the installation and left me kinda cold, I can boot into CWM recovery but thats about it soo since this is my first attempt at all this I could use alil direction on how to correct this lil fubar anyone got any Advice?

Edit So phones now fixxed and booting again, Have Cwm version 6013 got the Stable version of cwm and the rom installed correctly and booted So heres the Question Of the Day, how Do i Edit the NV to get this sucker Usable On USA GSM NEtworks?

17th July 2014, 03:20 PM   |  #7  
Retired Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 3,550

11,211 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryant-182

Same question! i have the hard mod and software mod done but it need to NV edit so that i can have it work on gsm networks with at&t.

You created a thread specifically for this question, which I answered. Why are you posting the same question in other threads?
18th July 2014, 02:24 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
the answere you gave me was for a different phone, after looking around alot of people were saying it would not work on photon and would brick the phone, I wanted to look around and get other people's advice. Thank you for the answer, if i cant find any other option i will try that method regurdless of risk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh

You created a thread specifically for this question, which I answered. Why are you posting the same question in other threads?

19th July 2014, 12:47 AM   |  #9  
Recognized Developer
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 3,243

1,389 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryant-182

the answere you gave me was for a different phone, after looking around alot of people were saying it would not work on photon and would brick the phone, I wanted to look around and get other people's advice. Thank you for the answer, if i cant find any other option i will try that method regurdless of risk.

If someone says that NV item 8322 edit does not work to enable US GSM network usage on Photon 4G (MB855 - NVIDIA Tegra 2 based device), then he's right.

But in the case of Photon Q 4G LTE (XT897 - Qualcomm MSM8960 based device), which is relevant in this forum, the NV item 8322 edit indeed works.
It has been already confirmed by numerous posts in here.
All Motorola MSM8960 devices introduced in 2012 are very similar and the NV item 8322 edit is proved to be the way to unlock the access to US GSM networks on all US carrier specific moto_msm8960 models. Photon Q is no exception in this regard.
The Following User Says Thank You to kabaldan For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th July 2014, 01:41 PM   |  #10  
Recognized Developer
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 1,345

898 posts
Donate to Me
More
You also need to use fsg.mbn from Atrix HD, older 4.1.1. Otherwise it will not work. Then in QPST you have to disable automated switch to CDMA. Tested personally & working.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread