Galaxy S5 with QHD and Snapdragon 805 announced

Search This thread

sonyfan12

May 6, 2014
The G3 is a bust. I tried it and the screen is pretty much not even noticeable and LG introduced a lot of bloat and lag in the animations. The G2 ran better in my experience with it.

I am more than happy with my rooted and rom'd "regular" S5.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

G3 have oversaturated, oversharped (halo effect) screen with bad viewing angles, bad contrast and distorsion colors

Reactions: WizeGuyDezignz

bill3508

May 23, 2011
I was really waiting for the G3 but it looks like a rushed device at this point. Will wait for the 805 g3 or 805 s5 if they ever come out. Still happy with my s3 running cm11.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

N77NS

Apr 20, 2011
hi

I have this program, but how can I check my phone to see the display screen...

Last edited:

ixon2001

Jul 15, 2010
Wigan
Problem with LG was that the G2 was & still is a good smartphone & it's cheap to buy now aswell, if they just upgraded it to the 801 and kept the 1080p screen to most it would have seemed like a tiny step so not worth buying.

Hence the QHD screen as it stand out feature for the G3.

What they should have done is held off, waiting till the 805 was more available, tweeks the QHD screen, added 3GB & 32GB internal as standard on all devices along with the removable battery & Micro SD card slot and they would have had a winner.

But instead all they done is try to get one up on Samsung, by rushing a QHD device to the market.

I have a Tab S 8.4 and the QHD screen on this really is superb, so if Samsung use the same kind of screen tech in the Galaxy F /Alpha or whatever they calling it & the Note 4 then it really will be a showcase for QHD.

Last edited:

malybru

Retired Senior Moderator
Aug 16, 2006
London
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Mod Edit

Thread cleaned

Please stay on topic , and if you have nothing good , or constructive to say , it is best to say nothing

Thank you

malybru
Forum Moderator

planoman

Nov 30, 2010
Plano, Texas
Will this work on ATT LTE network?

I have seen a few reviews in the US that show this device working with LTE on AT&T? I might import this to use on ATT. I am ready for a new device and did not buy an s5 because there is no 32GB available. This model has 32GB in addition to the QHD screen and Snapdragon 805 which is designed for QHD screens. I had the G3 but returned it already. The heat buildup on the back and dim screen was not working for me.

http://pocketnow.com/2014/07/02/galaxy-s5-vs-galaxy-s5-prime

chungdae

Jun 18, 2014
Yes it does work with AT&T LTE

I have seen a few reviews in the US that show this device working with LTE on AT&T? I might import this to use on ATT. I am ready for a new device and did not buy an s5 because there is no 32GB available. This model has 32GB in addition to the QHD screen and Snapdragon 805 which is designed for QHD screens. I had the G3 but returned it already. The heat buildup on the back and dim screen was not working for me.

http://pocketnow.com/2014/07/02/galaxy-s5-vs-galaxy-s5-prime

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The only thing I´d like in my S5 is 3GB ram. I do not want a QHD display which will only drain extra battery without me even being able to tell the difference.

Why would you like 3gb of ram? Have you ever run out of it on your S5?

Yeah, that's exactly why I asked. I don't think people understand how ram works, they just want more because it sounds good.

Unused ram is exactly that, unused ram. No matter how many apps I've had open at once, I've never reached near 2gb of usage.

Same here. And it's a Korea exclusive, I don't know why people are whining.

Enviado do meu Galaxy S5
    And it may have absolutely nothing to do with physical RAM. Here's an example from the One X which did have a multitasking problem. Samsung's memory management settings could render additional RAM useless for multitasking if it's reserved for something else - even if it's showing free in a memory manager.

Like everything else in the Android source code, the way the kernel and system free memory from background tasks is wide open and subject to the whim of whoever does the software building. In this case, it's an area we're pretty familiar with, and something we've been hacking at since the days of the lowly HTC Hero -- the minfree settings and kernel low memory killer.

What's happening is that the settings have been adjusted to keep more memory free for Sense 4 to gobble up, at the expense of applications running in the background. It's not a big edit, but with the One X's big screen and Sense 4's big footprint, it's a big enough edit to force things to close in the background more aggressively than we're used to seeing. Apps that have a bit of priority (ranging from the important things like the phone dialer to the less-important like the music player) seem to act just fine, but bigger applications, like Chrome beta for example, seem to suspend and need to re-open whenever they are returned to from the application switching menu.

It's very likely that there are other changes in the kernel source as well.

http://www.androidcentral.com/multitasking-htc-one-x-isnt-broken-its-customized

Same thing is to be said with the gs3 international (1gb ram) which was already insufficient for its time but for some reason it is a Jesus device with completely functional multitasking with no lag according to some people.

3gb ram is better than 2gb ram, just like how 2 GB is better than 1gb, doesn't take a genius to figure out.
    This is indeed a good read regarding Snapdragon 805's cpu and gpu power.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/8035/qualcomm-snapdragon-805-performance-preview

From there I got couple important points:

The 805 can handle a QuadHD resolution device at the same frame rate and with same performance that an 801 can drive a 1080p device.
    It is said to use 20% less power and provide 40% more performance compared to an 800 SoC
    The 805 has small (comparatively) cpu boost and significant gpu and video engines boost.
    The GPU tests were there. It nailed pretty much everything.
    The 805 has HEVC HW decoder, but no HEVC HW Acceleration until the 810 SoC comes out in H1 2015.
    I personally did not know what HEVC was. It is actually H.265 codec that provides magnificent video output at much lower bitrate than ax264/h.264 encoded video.
    I curiously downloaded Big Buck Bunny 1080p encoded with HEVC that sized only 130 MB. The h.264/x264 encoded video was available at the Big Buck Bunny's official website to download which was roughly 700 MB. The 130 MB file indeed provided great output compared to its regular 700MB variant!
    Yeah, that's exactly why I asked. I don't think people understand how ram works, they just want more because it sounds good.

Unused ram is exactly that, unused ram. No matter how many apps I've had open at once, I've never reached near 2gb of usage.

That´s because the phone hibernates apps before it ever reaches full RAM usage. More RAM = more open apps which allows for faster multitasking. You´d think this was basic knowledge by now.
    I´m sure you all have switched to an open app only to have it reload like it was first opened.

Coming from an iPhone with 1GB of ram I am overly aware of this issue.

And no I do not want the new S5, I just wish Samsung had put 3gb in the S5 in the first place, like they did in the note3.