Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,356 Members 38,376 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] Activate Moto G Verizon Prepaid as Verizon Postpaid

Tip us?

zenihilist
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWKENT View Post
I'm very grieved and sorry that Verizon, Amazon and those other companies stooped SO low as to sale an awesome device (XT1028) Moto G at an irresistible price, and those ones that did purchase the device can only use the purchase on a Verizon network..with very limited options..

Sent from my 4.3_14.14.14
(Unlocked) XT1028 Moto G
http://waynekent.com/page6.html
Last I checked, XDA was a place were technology enthusiasts could gather to discuss how to make devices do more than what the manufacturer originally intended. But you're right, it's just a place for snarky trolls.

😭

Back on topic please.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

ExpiredGrammar
Old
Thanks Meter 0
When ordered through amazon, does anyone know which retailer doesn't activate it?

LoeCraw
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpiredGrammar View Post
When ordered through amazon, does anyone know which retailer doesn't activate it?
I'm interested too. My RAZR M has been acting up the last couple of days and I need a replacement phone asap. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

ExpiredGrammar
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoeCraw View Post
I'm interested too. My RAZR M has been acting up the last couple of days and I need a replacement phone asap. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I had my m8 for 2 months and water logged it by accident. I bought the moto g from the default seller and i will let you know if it works

LoeCraw
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpiredGrammar View Post
I had my m8 for 2 months and water logged it by accident. I bought the moto g from the default seller and i will let you know if it works
Thanks! Unfortunately, I didn't see your message in time. I got trigger happy and bought a Moto G from Amazon too. My seller was "tax free tech" so I will report back with my own findings.

LoeCraw
Old
Thanks Meter 1
UPDATE: Received Moto G from Amazon today. Unfortunately, I was NOT able to activate it on my postpaid (contract) plan. I tried bypassing the activation and then dialing *228, but it gave me a error, stating something like "currently, this phone can only be activated on a prepaid network" or something like that. I didn't mess with trying to do it over the web -I'll probably just return it. It's sad because it seems to be a nice phone.
The Following User Says Thank You to LoeCraw For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

zenihilist
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoeCraw View Post
UPDATE: Received Moto G from Amazon today. Unfortunately, I was NOT able to activate it on my postpaid (contract) plan. I tried bypassing the activation and then dialing *228, but it gave me a error, stating something like "currently, this phone can only be activated on a prepaid network" or something like that. I didn't mess with trying to do it over the web -I'll probably just return it. It's sad because it seems to be a nice phone.
Thanks for going through the bother so the rest of us don't have to.

NWKENT
Old
(Last edited by NWKENT; 26th June 2014 at 05:38 AM.)
Thanks Meter 473
That's what I mentioned back in post #30 and some guy in post #31 ran his mouth..I'm very sorry you guys have a media player..unless you let Verizon lead you around with a nose ring..cutting your data use back to years ago..but..its absolutely better than nothing..the device is awesome..but the way they tricked those ones whom purchased the XT1028 is a sad way to do business..

Sent from my 4.4_19.6.3
(Unlocked) XT1080M Droid Maxx #2

zenihilist
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWKENT View Post
That's what I mentioned back in post #30 and some guy in post #31 ran his mouth..I'm very sorry you guys have a media player..unless you let Verizon lead you around with a nose ring..cutting your data use back to years ago..but..its absolutely better than nothing..the device is awesome..but the way they tricked those ones whom purchased the XT1028 is a sad way to do business..

Sent from my 4.4_19.6.3
(Unlocked) XT1080M Droid Maxx #2
Hey! Only my wife gets to call me "some guy"! [emoji6]

Yes. Verizon bad! But many of us in rural areas don't have much of a choice.

No. Verizon not THAT bad! Maybe you're reading some posts wrong, but I don't think anyone believes that Verizon LIED about the prepaid moto g.

Yes. Moto g great media player! With the built in FM tuner it's perfect for listening to music while doing outdoor chores and such.

Mouth run complete.

windraver
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Totally random but I just downgraded my Moto G from 4.4.2 to 4.3

This wiped my phone of course requiring me to reactivate... which still works. Theory is as follows:
Either
This is based on Verizon's servers
or
There is something about the firmware... but unlikely.

If anyone has a Moto G and wants to "experiment" and risk bricking for the sake of trying to activate try this:

First, downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.3:
http://techbeasts.com/2014/02/21/res...rade-firmware/

Then follow the usual process and try to activate. Do note that thjs process will wipe your device so backup your stuff!

I downgraded because I'm searching for a way to root my Verizon Moto G hence this finding... like I said though, no guarentees.