Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,970 Members 49,131 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Noob questions about Kernel

Tip us?

Daniel_Lechu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Default [Q] Noob questions about Kernel

Hi there!!

I'm about to unlock my phone bootloader, and i wanna know some things about kernels:
  1. Can i "downgrade" the kernel. For example from a KitKat kernel to Stock (Jelly Bean 4.1) Kernel?
  2. Can i use a KitKat Kernel in a Jelly Bean Rom?
  3. If Kernel have CWM recovery, it still working even if ROM stop working?

I know that in Linux you can update to the lastest kernel in same distro and don't matters, but Android is "special"...
Now i've CWM for locked bootloader and it is installed in ROM instead in Kernel, then if ROM is damaged CWM can stop working. I think if is included in Kernel then don't matters what happen in ROM, but I want to be sure.

Thanks!!

0bl1v10n
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'm not really sure about question 1 & 2.
Answer for question 3:
Yes, the recovery should work even the rom is messed up.
Thats when bootloop happen .
The Following User Says Thank You to 0bl1v10n For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ghassano015
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Lechu View Post
Hi there!!

I'm about to unlock my phone bootloader, and i wanna know some things about kernels:
  1. Can i "downgrade" the kernel. For example from a KitKat kernel to Stock (Jelly Bean 4.1) Kernel?
  2. Can i use a KitKat Kernel in a Jelly Bean Rom?
  3. If Kernel have CWM recovery, it still working even if ROM stop working?

I know that in Linux you can update to the lastest kernel in same distro and don't matters, but Android is "special"...
Now i've CWM for locked bootloader and it is installed in ROM instead in Kernel, then if ROM is damaged CWM can stop working. I think if is included in Kernel then don't matters what happen in ROM, but I want to be sure.

Thanks!!
1- Each rom has a specific kernel so if you want to install a kitkat kernel you can't install a JB rom so if you want to downgrade you can only downgrade the version of the kernel !!!
2-As I mentioned above you can't
3-Yes because the kernel is not damaged in your case so CWM will be working with no issues !!!
The Following User Says Thank You to ghassano015 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Daniel_Lechu
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 48
Thanks!!!, for now i'm still using a JB kernel with JB Rom. Waiting for a full working port of xLoud

Mirhawk
Old
Thanks Meter 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Lechu View Post
Thanks!!!, for now i'm still using a JB kernel with JB Rom. Waiting for a full working port of xLoud
If You are going to unlock Your bootloader in future, do remember to backup Your TA partition.
Pressing the is appreciated!
Kitkat - Carbon ROM - abcdjdj