Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,638 Members 54,593 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[PSA] Hackability

Tip us?

r3pwn
Old
(Last edited by r3pwn; 22nd June 2014 at 03:16 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 866
Default [PSA] Hackability

This is just a public service announcement regarding the Amazon Fire Phone's potential hackability based on Amazon's history.

Will it get root?
Most likely. Everything gets root eventually.

Will it get GApps?
Amazon did one hell of a job preventing people from getting GApps on the Kindle Fire HDXs by squeezing down the partition sizes and adding functions in system apps to keep Google apps from functioning properly. So maybe yes, maybe no.

Will it get a bootloader unlock?
Based on Amazon's not so good history of allowing the customization of devices, this may never get a bootloader unlock. They do a pretty good job at locking everything down, I must add.

So, in case you were too lazy to read the above, if you plan on bootloader unlocking this thing and installing the Google Play Store or CyanogenMod fresh out of the box, I would recommend searching elsewhere. The HTC One M8, perhaps, which has slightly better specs anyways.

Need help?
Hit me up on Twitter or Google+ or, you know, just send me a PM.

Like what I do?
Send me your Bitcoins. 1EQMaazk3DmBvSFJmWXzhFWbMiZ3SpUj5Z
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to r3pwn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

wilzard
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by r3pwn View Post
This is just a public service announcement regarding the Amazon Fire Phone's hackability.

Will it get root?
Most likely. Everything gets root eventually.

Will it get GApps?
Amazon did one hell of a job preventing people from getting GApps on the Kindle Fire HDXs by squeezing down the partition sizes and adding functions in system apps to keep Google apps from functioning properly. So maybe yes, maybe not.

Will it get a bootloader unlock?
Based on Amazon's not so good history of allowing the customization of devices, this may never get a bootloader unlock. They do a pretty good job at locking everything down, I must add.

So, in case you were too lazy to read the above, if you plan on bootloader unlocking this thing and installing the Google Play Store or CyanogenMod fresh out of the box, I would search elsewhere. The HTC One M8, perhaps, which has slightly better specs anyways.
Do we know if the device has a removable battery?

Micro-SD?

Dual-sim?

AT&T is the first initial carrier - IMO this does not bode well for unlocked bootloader citing AT&T history, and Amazon's own history (as you mentioned with the HDXs.)
GS4 - Sacs Custom 4.3 ROM v5 / MK2 Baseband / TWRP 2.7 / MF9 bootloader
Nexus 7 2012 - SlimKat / TWRP 2.7 / m-kernel a67

r3pwn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilzard View Post

Micro-SD?

Dual-sim?

AT&T is the first initial carrier - IMO this does not bode well for unlocked bootloader citing AT&T history, and Amazon's own history (as you mentioned with the HDXs.)

Those three are unknown by me.

Even if you were to buy it off-contract, it would still most likely be locked. Amazon is the only manufacturer that I know if that does this.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Need help?
Hit me up on Twitter or Google+ or, you know, just send me a PM.

Like what I do?
Send me your Bitcoins. 1EQMaazk3DmBvSFJmWXzhFWbMiZ3SpUj5Z

veilside959
Old
(Last edited by veilside959; Yesterday at 06:49 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilzard View Post

Micro-SD?

Dual-sim?

No Idea
Nexus 5|Root [Retired]
HTC One M8|Root|Xposed [Current]
Amzn Fire TV|Root
Amzn Fire Phone [Ordered]
Tags
fire phone amazon hackability