Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Camera Problem Video Recording Auto Focus

OP andylau38

30th May 2014, 10:59 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
I have an auto focus problem when video recording with the OPPO Find 7a.

The camera auto focuses perfectly when not video recording, continuously readjusting focus when pointing at different objects. Once video recording has been started, however, focus is locked to the last focused length, and it does not auto refocus no matter how you move the phone. In other words, there is no continuous auto focus.

Since auto focus does work when not video recording, I believe this is a software problem.

I have tried the following:
  • Factory Reset
  • Updating ROM to ColorOS 2.0

But both methods failed to fix the camera focus problem.

I am looking to try the following:
  • Updating / Resetting the Kernel

However, I am not sure how to do this. Can somebody help me please?

Thank you community!
30th May 2014, 01:38 PM   |  #2  
Senior Member
Flag Georgetown
Thanks Meter: 217
 
1,719 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by andylau38

I have an auto focus problem when video recording with the OPPO Find 7a.

The camera auto focuses perfectly when not video recording, continuously readjusting focus when pointing at different objects. Once video recording has been started, however, focus is locked to the last focused length, and it does not auto refocus no matter how you move the phone. In other words, there is no continuous auto focus.

Since auto focus does work when not video recording, I believe this is a software problem.

I have tried the following:

  • Factory Reset
  • Updating ROM to ColorOS 2.0

But both methods failed to fix the camera focus problem.

I am looking to try the following:
  • Updating / Resetting the Kernel

However, I am not sure how to do this. Can somebody help me please?

Thank you community!

Just tried to reproduce your problem on v1.2. No problem focusing when video recording.
The Following User Says Thank You to tropical cactus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th May 2014, 02:13 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical cactus

Just tried to reproduce your problem on v1.2. No problem focusing when video recording.

Thanks for your test.

I actually did not have this problem until recently. I believe I may have messed up the camera part of the kernel.

I tried googling "oppo find 7a stock kernel", but could not find anything.

Would you know where I can download the stock kernel?

Thank you so much.
30th May 2014, 03:26 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Flag Georgetown
Thanks Meter: 217
 
1,719 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by andylau38

Thanks for your test.

I actually did not have this problem until recently. I believe I may have messed up the camera part of the kernel.

I tried googling "oppo find 7a stock kernel", but could not find anything.

Would you know where I can download the stock kernel?

Thank you so much.

It's the boot.img. Download either v 1.2 or 2 Rom to computer depending which Rom you are using and extract from zip file. I don't think it is the kernel if you already tried the beta Rom and still have the problem.
Last edited by tropical cactus; 30th May 2014 at 03:32 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tropical cactus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th May 2014, 04:29 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical cactus

It's the boot.img. Download either v 1.2 or 2 Rom to computer depending which Rom you are using and extract from zip file. I don't think it is the kernel if you already tried the beta Rom and still have the problem.

You are right.

I flashed the boot.img (kernel, thanks for telling me!), and the focus problem in video recording is still present.

Would you have any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thank you.
30th May 2014, 07:14 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Flag Georgetown
Thanks Meter: 217
 
1,719 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by andylau38

You are right.

I flashed the boot.img (kernel, thanks for telling me!), and the focus problem in video recording is still present.

Would you have any suggestions as to what I should do?

Thank you.

Go back to your vendor and complain. You should get a one to one exchange.
The Following User Says Thank You to tropical cactus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th June 2014, 05:46 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropical cactus

Go back to your vendor and complain. You should get a one to one exchange.

I contacted my vendor and this is what they said:

...continuous auto-focus feature is not implemented yet in the video mode. OPPO assured that they are working on including this feature in future firmware updates.

Now I'm confused. I'm pretty certain that continuous auto focus works before.

Can someone double check with me?

Thank you so much.
6th June 2014, 04:26 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Flag Georgetown
Thanks Meter: 217
 
1,719 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by andylau38

I contacted my vendor and this is what they said:

...continuous auto-focus feature is not implemented yet in the video mode. OPPO assured that they are working on including this feature in future firmware updates.

Now I'm confused. I'm pretty certain that continuous auto focus works before.

Can someone double check with me?

Thank you so much.

Hi, I just checked again. There is really no problem in focusing when video recording for me. I move away from an object with words and come back. The words come into focus again. Maybe you should send or show them a sample video, or someone else can suggest something else.
The Following User Says Thank You to tropical cactus For This Useful Post: [ View ]
21st July 2014, 09:26 PM   |  #9  
djkmito's Avatar
Member
Flag Levoča
Thanks Meter: 9
 
69 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2007
More
I have same problem. If I recording video with different objects in near and far of me camera still refocused objective.
So recording some sceneries is not possible.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes