XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[DISCUSSION] 10.5.A.0.30 android 4.4.2 bugs and errors

Tip us?

anagramgenius
Old
Thanks Meter 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by don_yogesh View Post
I recently updated the OS to kitkat(Indian Version).... and I am really disappointed.. It is really lagging...

jellybean 4.3 was really fast... I dont know why I updated the OS ,...

Without the quick-settings section i don't see any new feature in kitkat....

Sometime I receive or call the phone , I don't get any voice from speaker, I need to restart the phone.

is there any way to go back to 4.3 jellybean... If any know then please post the links

Thanks
Indian version doesn't lag. make sure you factory reset your phone.
And if you want to go back to jelly bean, flash this FTF using Androxyde's Flash Tool http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2655100. thanks to @sanjulgupta
Xperia ZL

givemered
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Default Upgraded to Kitkat

Just decided finally to take the plunge(India ZL user). Upraded to Kitkat today.

Process was smooth enough. For the time being atleast, I dont see any battery drain from google services. Will post the update afterwards.
In fact battery life seems little better than earlier. But I disable all location services and enable it only when needed. Google now is on, but location based features are not working because of this. But thats the same I used to have in JB.

Notification bar is jittery, but thats ok. When you pull it down, animation is jerky and not smooth like it was in JB. But I can handle that. No major issue there.
Settings panel is ok as well, I dont see any difference.

For those facing battery drain, try disabeling location completely(no device only or anything) and see if this solves the issue. You would only lose google now location based cards with this, as per my understanding.

givemered
Old
(Last edited by givemered; 15th July 2014 at 06:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 4
Default Battery life update for kitkat

I am also now victim of the dreaded google services battery drain issue

However, I found a workaround. From various posts, I thought that problem is only if one needs access to location constantly. At few places, people also mentioned that 'device only' mode or 'location off' resolves the problem. I did not get anywhere exact behavior and proper explanation of the problem. So I am trying to explain it here.

I kept the location off initially, and there was no battery drain, in fact battery life was much better than the JB.
However, I started google maps once and enabled high accuracy location once and then after that, my phone was not able to sleep. As you can see from the screenshot, after the short gps activity bar, phone is awake for all the time for next 3-4 hours.

When phone was all the time awake after that, I tried different things like location - device only mode, disabling location and making location on and off multiple times. Nothing helped, phone was constantly awake and battery was draining fast.

After this, I restarted my phone(you can see vertical line break in the screenshot) with location off. After the restart however, phone could go into sleep and no more awake(please refer screenshot). Problem solved!

So my conclusion is, when facing battery drain, turn off location and restart device. This would solve the problem. Note that 'only' turning off location does NOT resolve this problem. You need phone restart after disabling location.
Kitkat as such is stable but once you start location/gps, phone would never sleep until you restart.

For me this workaround is acceptable as I use GPS once in a while only. And use maps only once in a while for navigation. So if you want to go to kitkat, see if you can compromise on GPS use. Else JB is your best option right now. Third option is to disable google services which is the worst option in my opinion.

Advantages of Kitkat is, it has very good battery life mostly because of batching of data transfers. I would say around 10-15% SOT increase.

Hope this helps at least a few people who are confused about upgrading to kitkat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-15-20-51-14.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	110.3 KB
ID:	2853192  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to givemered For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

cnkhanh
Old
Thanks Meter 140
My status bar clock isnt updating, only when I turn of the screen and turn jt back on does it update.
Therefore the alarm doesnt go off as well
Nokia 6030 > SE W200i > Nokia 6120c > SX Sola > SX V > SX SP > SX ZL

zstann
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Hello people. I have tried all the various methods that Sony and the internet has offered on how to fix the battery drainage and i've finally found my fix!

Under location -> mode, change to Device only. The battery drain has noticeably disappeared instantly and now my phone can last for more than 12 hours on a single charge for moderate use. Previously the battery was draining 10% every freaking hour even on full standby. If you have noticed, activating high accuracy and battery saving mode will prompt on pop up saying that collection of location data may occur even when NO apps are running. Probably the biggest culprit here.

Now even on 3G, the battery drain only a few % after being left idle for the night (with stamina mode enabled).

Hope this helps.

cristianleguiz
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Yes thats a solution. Whit device only you restricted Google to give your location only when the device asks. Not all the time. Battery life and functionality

Phantom1275
Old
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by givemered View Post
I am also now victim of the dreaded google services battery drain issue

However, I found a workaround. From various posts, I thought that problem is only if one needs access to location constantly. At few places, people also mentioned that 'device only' mode or 'location off' resolves the problem. I did not get anywhere exact behavior and proper explanation of the problem. So I am trying to explain it here.

I kept the location off initially, and there was no battery drain, in fact battery life was much better than the JB.
However, I started google maps once and enabled high accuracy location once and then after that, my phone was not able to sleep. As you can see from the screenshot, after the short gps activity bar, phone is awake for all the time for next 3-4 hours.

When phone was all the time awake after that, I tried different things like location - device only mode, disabling location and making location on and off multiple times. Nothing helped, phone was constantly awake and battery was draining fast.

After this, I restarted my phone(you can see vertical line break in the screenshot) with location off. After the restart however, phone could go into sleep and no more awake(please refer screenshot). Problem solved!

So my conclusion is, when facing battery drain, turn off location and restart device. This would solve the problem. Note that 'only' turning off location does NOT resolve this problem. You need phone restart after disabling location.
Kitkat as such is stable but once you start location/gps, phone would never sleep until you restart.

For me this workaround is acceptable as I use GPS once in a while only. And use maps only once in a while for navigation. So if you want to go to kitkat, see if you can compromise on GPS use. Else JB is your best option right now. Third option is to disable google services which is the worst option in my opinion.

Advantages of Kitkat is, it has very good battery life mostly because of batching of data transfers. I would say around 10-15% SOT increase.

Hope this helps at least a few people who are confused about upgrading to kitkat.
Those were exactly my conclusions too.

I did disabled backup and interest-based adds as shown in Sony workaround for this issue. But still my ZL was kept active/alive by Google Services.

Disabling location services and rebooting the phone did the trick. In fact, after rebooting you can even re-enable location services. It won't drain the battery... until you activate it (e.g. a program like Maps or Chrome tries to locate your phone using wifi, GPS or cell signal). Bang! The phone is active all the time now. Disabling location services won't stop it, you have to do this and reboot.