Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,150 Members 44,728 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Link2SD & CM11: Optimal Strategies

Tip us?

samep
Old
(Last edited by samep; 23rd June 2014 at 08:23 AM.)
Thanks Meter 119
Just realized that if using Link2SD Plus to multi link all folders of an app to sdext2 after a clean install is still broken, if using intended method. Apps linked this way are missing after reboot.
Working on a safer suggested method that focuses more on removing apps from Gapps but also removing some other system apps after flashing a nightly that requires no modification of the nightly zip on a computer. Have to focus on linking only a minimum amount of apps with free Link2SD considered less risky to move, like larger stand alone apps, not needed tools.
I've got a working script and method that works but the risks to be avoided need to be detailed along with the tut to script and tool your own modified Gapps that minimizes the flash to flashing the nightly as-is and then flashing a custom Gapps that includes preferred launcher and restore methods.
Removing CMWallpapers, Apollo music and Trebuchet launcher. Substituting blacked out Google play. Replacing removed apps with Apex beta test launcher for test group, blacked out Pandora (these will be installed at /data partition where they can be easily uninstalled or updated) I use my own borrowed wallpaper.
Along with the removed bloat from Gapps, this frees a bit more than 40 MB of system space.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Arson Smith
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
UPDATE: the latest version of Link2SD (3.5.2) has "fixed the bug that causes linked apps disappear on reboot when internal data is linked".

So... if you've also ponied up the buck or two for Link2SD Plus (as I have), then this finally works again like you'd always hoped it would.

I just loaded a bazillion apps back on the phone, and have been able to reboot multiple times without losing them.

The only time I "lost" them for a moment was after flashing to the latest CM11 nightly, but then doing the "Recreate mount scripts" and reboot brought them right back, with no other shenanigans necessary.

(Just wanted to let people know, because this is such a relief to me now....)

HURRAY!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arson Smith For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

samep
Old
Thanks Meter 119
OK I'm trying this again. Reboots are fine as long as I don't select quick or soft reboots; I lose mount, linked apps not installed.
Now need to try the clean install of nightly.

samep
Old
Thanks Meter 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoshrk View Post
Finally had a chance to sit down and mess with this...

Yeah! Success! Freeing up space in /system worked.

Next question...Will I have to remove the bloat prior to flashing from now on? ie no more CyanDelta easy flashing

Anyone have any Scripting-Fu to come up with an automated method of stripping out said bloat?

thx sno
One possible solution: