Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,079 Members 51,827 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Tool] Which IDE do you prefer? Eclipse, Android Studio or something else?

Tip us?

leccles01
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I'm using Eclipse atm, I have the most experience using it however I've been trying to switch over to Android studio, but I cannot seem to get it to work properly. I don't have any experience with gradle's and I have no clue what they are. All I know is in Android studio for me, it always fails to sync said gradle so I'm trying to figure out why!

I like the look of Android studio better and would prefer to use it however I have also heard people saying it is still quite buggy. I'd wish google would hurry up at make it work properly!

Nebulic
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I use Android Studio. I'm used to IntelliJ so the step was easier for me. Even though it's still in beta, it's already really nice

iBolski
Old
(Last edited by iBolski; 17th July 2014 at 05:13 PM.)
Thanks Meter 411
I can't get Android Studio to work. Also, I like to develop under Linux. I can get AS to work under Linux. When I have tried to make AS work under Windows, the entire issue with Gradle just really torks me in the wrong direction. I can never get a project to work as it says it had problems starting the daemon.

I've tried everything that has been suggested on stackoverflow and nothing as worked (setting environment variables, running as admin, clear out my .gradle directory, installing a local copy of gradle, etc). I'm not sure if it's because my company uses a proxy to access the internet and also has locked down our PCs? I'm beginning to wonder if that has something to do with it.

With ADT and Eclipse, it works right out of the box for me. No issues what-so-ever.

Also, I hate the new project wizard. It takes a lot of configuration away from you up-front (target SDK, etc) that I wish they would at least give you the option to tweak if you wish to before you create the project itself.

Also, Android Studio seems so slow compared to Eclipse. It takes longer to fire up and it takes longer to compile and such. It seems to be a major memory hog compared to Eclipse.

Other things in it looked nice, but I have as of yet to be able to compile a project since Gradle keeps failing. Again, this might be because of my work computer (they locked it down tighter than a drum and I had to get special permission to be allowed to have elevated privileges to run things which has caused a whole host of nightmare issues for everyone).

I'd like to try AS but until it works, I guess I'll stick with Eclipse which has been my IDE of choice for years.
Please hit "Thanks" if this post helped you.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast

matt95
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2326

DONATE TO ME
I'm using Android Studio and I have to say that it is great, I love all its functions and in particular the black theme (The black one in Eclipse Luna isn't as good as the AStudio one, not even comparable). The cons is that sometime I discover that something that I used to do in Eclipse isn't working in android studio which is a real pain in the a...

Donate and support my studies at the MIT University! Unruu HTC RUUs | Setup Android Development Environment on Ubuntu | Decrypt HTC RUUs

ADemitr
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreait15 View Post
Hello,

I have built my first Android app using Eclipse and I think it was pretty quick and helpful in many ways.
After the first project, my colleague asked me to switch to Android Studio, but my question is: is it better than Eclipse? Which one do you prefer?

Thank you all in advance,

Andrea
I use Unity + Eclipse. It is very convenient, but not very productive. But once the application is ready for AppStore and Windows Phone

iBolski
Old
(Last edited by iBolski; 21st July 2014 at 02:57 PM.)
Thanks Meter 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADemitr View Post
I use Unity + Eclipse. It is very convenient, but not very productive. But once the application is ready for AppStore and Windows Phone
I've begun using AS only because of a on-line class and it hasn't "grown" on me, but I want to become familiar with it because if the direction is to shift away from Eclipse, then I want to be able to use either IDE. The learning curve is not tough at all, but I haven't found a compelling reason to move away from Eclipse right now, but I'll keep working with it.

I just find it slower than Eclipse, both in launching and in compiling and executing my app. My machine isn't the newest machine on the planet, but it's no slouch either (AMD Phenom II X3 720 with the 4th core unlocked and running - this was a steal many years ago since it was overclockable and if you had the correct batch, you could actually enable the 4th core). Hey, it can run Crysis! (Remember that question and joke?)

Actually, it still runs the latest games so far with no issues, so again, my machine isn't a slouch. Heck, I run Ubuntu VMs on it to do Android programming and Eclipse screams in it the VM, but AS still seems to be really slow.

In any case, I'm rambling, so I'll end it there. I'm using AS to get familiar with it.

One issue is it just won't work on my work PC when it comes time to run the app. The entire requirement of having to access the internet is causing a host of problems for us where we have to either open up holes in our firewall to allow it to work. So at work, they have decided to stick with Eclipse.

At home, I have no issues with it working, but I cannot get it to work on my machine at work when it comes time to compile. Gradle pukes out and since I can never get it to compile the first time, I can't use the off-line Gradle method. It really just seems wrong to have to require at least one on-line compile to work. If you are in a situation like I'm in at work where it won't compile at all in online mode, then you are stuck and that just seems wrong. Hence, I'll stick with Eclipse more than likely, at least at work. But, it would be a shame if eventually AS becomes the standard and they don't remove this on-line requirement. Just doesn't seem right.

What I have tried is the following:

1. We use McAfee at work. I've turned off Host IPS, Network IPS and Firewall and that allowed it to have more connectivity.
2. I've tried running as administrator.
3. I've set up the proxy information that our company uses.

In the end, I still get the following error when I attempt to compile and launch my application within AS:

Code:
Select Code
Failed to refresh Gradle project 'My Application'
    Error:Error:Could not GET 'http://jcenter.bintray.com/com/android/tools/build/gradle/'. Received status code 407 from server: Proxy Authentication Required
<a href="toggle.offline.mode">Enable Gradle 'offline mode' and sync project</a>
Of course, if I go to offline mode, it won't work because I haven't compiled it successfully once in online mode, so I'm stuck. This is why I don't really like AS at this point, at least for my work PC. I have the proxy information setup correctly both in AS settings as well as in the gradle settings, so I don't know what else I can do at this point.
Please hit "Thanks" if this post helped you.

RAZR HD XT926 (unlocked)
32gb Nexus 7
Chromecast

javabiker
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Eclipse v. Android Studio
I have used MyEclipse from Genuitec for many years. After using AS to develop an app it became clear that ME was more effective; even taking into account familiarity with ME. AS is much too keyboard-centric, as is Idea IDE. Also, AS has been in beta for too long. When is Google going to release version 1.0?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using XDA-FORUM, powered by appyet.com