Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,220 Members 44,745 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Camera lens cover gers scratched easily?

Tip us?

Jooosty
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holtzey View Post
Hey guys - I used a non-abrasive tooth paste in very small amounts with a q-tip. I noticed a black colour showing up on the q-tip as I rubbed the lens. All hazing was removed, no pressure or aggressive abrasives were used.

Good luck I hope it works for you(no need to use a credit card or drill or whatever in my experience.

tooth paste - Kiss My Face (all natural).

Cheers,
Is the coating completely gone ?

I found that the outer most edge of the lens was the hardest to remove

HTC M8
HTC ULTIMEIGHT!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jooosty For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

tele_jas
Old
Thanks Meter 93

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooosty View Post
For me, the back main was the toughest to get the coating off. Believe me. Its there. You just have to rub pretty hard.

The downside to this though, is whatever solvent that you use, will get the adhesive on the lens pretty loose. The lens will start to move as you rub in circular motion . Be careful as to not get any liquid under it.

The duo camera was actually pretty easy.

HTC M8
Thank you! I've been sick to my stomach worried about my lens being all scratched up and KNOWING I have babied this phone and have it in an Otterbox and know there's no way I could be scratching it that bad. I've even called around about getting that outside lens replaced and only one place does it and they were going to charge me $100...... So I got most of it rubbed off, not going to worry about all of it as long as my inside lens is free from gunk, I should be good!

Thanks again!
Allons-y!
The Following User Says Thank You to tele_jas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jooosty
Old
Thanks Meter 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele_jas View Post
Thank you! I've been sick to my stomach worried about my lens being all scratched up and KNOWING I have babied this phone and have it in an Otterbox and know there's no way I could be scratching it that bad. I've even called around about getting that outside lens replaced and only one place does it and they were going to charge me $100...... So I got most of it rubbed off, not going to worry about all of it as long as my inside lens is free from gunk, I should be good!

Thanks again!
Great. Pics look much better don't they ?

HTC M8
HTC ULTIMEIGHT!

Daveincanada
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Amazing! I ha e my phone back now. Also used the toothpaste method. Now my phone is.... Mint. Again. Ha!

Holtzey
Old
Thanks Meter 1

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooosty View Post
Is the coating completely gone ?

I found that the outer most edge of the lens was the hardest to remove

HTC M8
Yes, I managed to remove every bit of it from the lens. Minus the scratch I put into it while using a more aggressive method of removal...wish I had tried the tooth paste first. Don't make this mistake, nor do I recommend a whitening tooth paste either.

Cheers,

mgenova
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Same problem here. Looks like a scratched camera lens. I was really bummed out because I take really good care of my new M8. I tried alcohol to no avail. The toothpaste trick worked great just as the other comments stated. Pictures are now crystal clear again. It did take a lot of rubbing. Approximately 5 solid minutes to get it all.

duckstardeluxe
Old
(Last edited by duckstardeluxe; 20th July 2014 at 04:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 16
I just realized that my M8 cameras (all 3) was scratched in the surface of the coating. With a polish for acryllic materials I managed to remove the coating and all the miniature surface scratches that had evolved even though I really take care of the phone all of the time.

Now the pictures looks good again. Coming home from a camping trip with my family I realize that all the pictures taken there are rubbish.

I've added a before and after pictures, that one should easily be able to see the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2605.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	2861490   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG2653.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	248.8 KB
ID:	2861491  

meleelord
Old
Thanks Meter 131
I had the same issue with scratches on my lens. I got a cotton cuetip, used toothpaste, put some pressure and went in a circular motion. Then used nail polish remove instead. Repeated 3 times. Now all good! 😀
(HTC One M8 - Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 2.3GHz) - (ViperOneM8 1.0.0 - 1.54.401.5 - Sense 6 - Android 4.4.2) - (ElementalX 0.4 Kernel) - (TWRP 2.7.0.3)

You can follow me on Twitter @meleelord

wendellc
Old
Thanks Meter 39
Yes, my sons m8 had the same issue. We sent it to HTC and they replace the lens under warranty.. He was without a phone for about a week. The replacement lens have no issue with scratching now. We got the phone when it first released, I'm thinking the first batch had a low quality glass.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk