Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,661 Members 45,017 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum
View Poll Results: AOSP or Sense
AOSP 48 27.27%
Sense 6 128 72.73%
Voters: 176. You may not vote on this poll

AOSP or GPE or Sense on the One M8

Tip us?

Travisimo
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannejanne View Post
The option is there to keep stock status bar yes. But if I disable the modules status bar the custom color for the blurred background does not work for me so I have it enabled for that purpose.

Yeah I know. The ART vs. Dalvik/Xposed issue is a big one. ART runs fantastically smooth. While the customisations from Xposed are fantastic too. Right now I can't give up this notification blur mod.
The good news is that we have a lot to look forward to when Android L releases this fall because ART will be even faster, along with other optimizations and the new look. And if everything falls into place, perhaps we'll even get a new version of Xposed.

crazyjimbo
Old
Thanks Meter 92
I REALLY want to try PA and CM11, even Vanir, but I don't want to lose certain features, like the dot view and Ufocus. Ever since HTC started letting you adjust the amount of blur I've been using it a LOT. Mostly I want a stockish Android experience with the GPE features still intact, but with the CM theme engine and some mods haha.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

SolarTrans
Old
Thanks Meter 166
I agree completely with Travismo. Love the M8 GPE a ton more than the Nexus 5, and I'd have to say it's the best Android phone I've ever used. Sure, I'd like it better with out the extra bezel, but it doesn't really matter much to me anymore.
Also, I find the ability to add bokeh effects to the camera are really fun, and you can pull of some astonishing shots at night (even with no other added effects, like these )

Sent from my HTC One M8 GPE using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to SolarTrans For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

NextNexus
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travisimo View Post
- With my M8 on Dalvik, there is a bit of stuttering in apps. The notification pane is smooth, as is the app drawer and launcher (using Nova). But when using apps (particularly Facebook, Google+ and even the XDA forums app), there is stuttering when scrolling up and down. It's more than just the universal stutter you get when things are loading in from the network. It seems like either the CPU is underclocking or perhaps the stuttering you get without Trim optimization. It's not worse than I've seen on other phones, but the Nexus 5 running the L Preview is buttery smooth (perhaps the smoothest experience I've seen on Android).

- I switched my M8 to ART and it got much smoother, pretty much on par with the Nexus. Didn't think it would make much difference, but it certainly did... though now I miss my Xposed modules (sure hope the devs will be able to port it to ART). So now I have to choose between a slightly lagging device running Dalvik with more customizations via Xposed OR getting a smoother experience on ART while losing my customizations.

In summary, I am quite pleased with the GPE M8 conversion. I was a little annoyed by the minor stuttering, and I'm still debating whether to stick with ART or go back to Dalvik for my mods. I suppose it'll be a moot point once Android L comes out because I'll have no choice but to be on ART... and hopefully by then, Xposed will be updated.
Interesting b/c I've found the exact opposite with Dalvik vs. ART. I converted my AT&T M8 to a GPE and used it with Dalvik runtime for a couple of weeks with good results. I had used a Nexus 5 on ART and it was great so I tried switching my M8 to ART. First few days were fine but then the phone started having a ton of weird issues. Lots of apps randomly closing, significant lag within apps, and overall just not even close to as stable as Dalvik. I've reverted my M8 GPE back to Dalvik and now everything is fine again. I'm hoping there are improvements made to ART with Android L b/c I don't think it's ready for prime time yet in its current experimental form.

SolarTrans
Old
Thanks Meter 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextNexus View Post
Interesting b/c I've found the exact opposite with Dalvik vs. ART. I converted my AT&T M8 to a GPE and used it with Dalvik runtime for a couple of weeks with good results. I had used a Nexus 5 on ART and it was great so I tried switching my M8 to ART. First few days were fine but then the phone started having a ton of weird issues. Lots of apps randomly closing, significant lag within apps, and overall just not even close to as stable as Dalvik. I've reverted my M8 GPE back to Dalvik and now everything is fine again. I'm hoping there are improvements made to ART with Android L b/c I don't think it's ready for prime time yet in its current experimental form.
Did you do a full RUU conversion? Were you on 4.4.4? I find it hard to believe that you'd have those issues if the conversion went right, because I haven't heard of anyone having that problem before.

NextNexus
Old
Thanks Meter 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarTrans View Post
Did you do a full RUU conversion? Were you on 4.4.4? I find it hard to believe that you'd have those issues if the conversion went right, because I haven't heard of anyone having that problem before.

Yep, full RUU conversion and I'm now on 4.4.4. I've found Dalvik to work 100% perfectly and ART to be extremely buggy on this device. I've actually done the conversion two different times and I've had the same problem with ART after a couple of days both times.

SolarTrans
Old
Thanks Meter 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by NextNexus View Post
Yep, full RUU conversion and I'm now on 4.4.4. I've found Dalvik to work 100% perfectly and ART to be extremely buggy on this device. I've actually done the conversion two different times and I've had the same problem with ART after a couple of days both times.
Huh. Well try this stock CWM Nandroid for the GPE. It's the untouched boot and system partitions, and somehow flashing it made my call quality improve drastically.
I'd say it's worth a shot!
Link:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=51644915

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

MarkGiardini
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazie1 View Post
I added a Poll to the thread, I like ParanoidAndroid but went back to Sense 6 for now because the features are really nice
I love the simplicity and stock feel of GPE, but the camera on the Sense 6 is awesome.