Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] SD Install has bricked my HD+

OP Mf123

4th June 2014, 01:47 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
I have an issue that seems to be similar to those suffered by a number of people. I'm just having difficulty understanding the cause of it, and the solution. I have a nook hd+ that no longer boots as a result of trying CM11 on an SD card.

I installed CM11 to an SD card (as I was nervous of altering my nook) using bokbokan's excellent instructions. Initially it seemed fine but this morning it was unexpectedly out of battery and will no longer boot.

The symptoms are similar to this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2611769, this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2736347 and this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...2649061&page=2 except that the posters there had previously replaced the stock software and overwritten the emmc.

When the SD is in, it locks up on the Cyanoboot screen, when the SD card is out I only get to the black screen with 'Nook' on it and no further. It looks like the SD install has messed something up on the internal emmc. Hard resets and multiple failed boots don't appear to help.

I can occasionally (but not always) get it to reboot to CWM recovery by reinserting the card and holding down N and lock, but I get a lot of errors such as "E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log", "W:failed to mount /dev/block/platform/omap/omap_hsmmc.1/by-name/cache on /cache failed:No such file or directory" and "I:Can't partition non-vfat: /emmc (ext4)". When I go to 'Mounts and Storage' in CWM, I cannot mount anything (e.g. "Error mounting /boot!").

I chose to go down the SD card install route (using ) in order to avoid touching the stock install on the emmc, but now the whole thing is dead.

Reading other threads, it sounds like either:
1. The emmc is bricked due to some firmware bug. The impression I get from reading around is that CM11 was supposed to incorporate a workaround for the issue. If the emmc is the problem, I have to return the Nook and hope to get a working one.
2. The emmc has (somehow) become corrupted, I have to put a different version of CWM on my SDcard (so it will install to the EMMC rather than the SDcard, and because CM11 uses a different version), using the instructions here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=35811322 and then reinstall a stock rom to my emmc. I then have to reregister the Nook (not sure if this is essential) before being able to use my CM11 SDcard install again.

If it is the first problem, I would like to know how I can check to see if the emmc is indeed broken.

If it is the second, I would be grateful for any help in understanding how and why the SD install has messed up the emmc, and whether the steps above are likely to bring it back to life.
4th June 2014, 02:32 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,695

8,416 posts
Donate to Me
More
It sounds like your emmc is indeed bricked. I would go for the warranty exchange now. Just because you installed CM11 to SD does not mean it does not use emmc partitions. It still accesses and uses many of them (cache, rom, bootdata, /data/media, etc.). So there is opportunity for a brick. I would exchange it now while the cyanoboot logo does not show when booting without the SD.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
4th June 2014, 03:55 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 51

291 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mf123

I would like to know how I can check to see if the emmc is indeed broken.

You may find links and info in this post helpful http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=44810400
4th June 2014, 11:11 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Thanks to both for replying. I feared that was the case.

I'm a bit disappointed that the SD card install (generally the option for those who want to leave the nook untouched) can in fact ruin the machine.

I've contacted the Nook website and will see what happens.
4th June 2014, 11:23 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor

8,416 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Thanks to both for replying. I feared that was the case.

I'm a bit disappointed that the SD card install (generally the option for those who want to leave the nook untouched) can in fact ruin the machine.

I've contacted the Nook website and will see what happens.

Just take your device to a store. They will exchange on the spot once they verify your registration on their computer. Of course don't tell them you were running CM, even on SD.

5th June 2014, 09:48 AM   |  #6  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar

Just take your device to a store. They will exchange on the spot once they verify your registration on their computer. Of course don't tell them you were running CM, even on SD.

Thanks, but there are no BN stores in the UK. They don't even sell the Nook directly from their uk website anymore. I have to post it to the Netherlands and see what happens.
22nd July 2014, 08:57 AM   |  #7  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
So, after 2 months, and a lot of arguing with customer services, I have finally got a replacement Nook through the post.

I am still keen to try CM, but want to be really sure that my Nook doesn't get bricked again. Is there any way of checking whether an sd card install is likely to trigger an emmc failure on my new Nook?
22nd July 2014, 04:38 PM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor

8,416 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

So, after 2 months, and a lot of arguing with customer services, I have finally got a replacement Nook through the post.

I am still keen to try CM, but want to be really sure that my Nook doesn't get bricked again. Is there any way of checking whether an sd card install is likely to trigger an emmc failure on my new Nook?

The best way to avoid bricking by CM11 is to not try CM11. I run CM 10.1.3 and have heard of no one bricking when running that.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread