[Q] Android 4.3 and Bluetooth Keyboard Problem

Search This thread

Frank_Turk

Aug 4, 2013
Central Time, USA
I tried to find it in the directory but there isn't with the name vendor_0a5c_product_8502.kl. I see others but not that one?

I do see a file named vendor_0a5c_product_0239

Actually, I think you see Vendor_05ac_Product_0239 -- not _0a5c_. I don;t mean to be glib, but look closer at the file list as it is in there someplace in /system/usr/keylayout. :)

xuni89

Jul 6, 2011
Must read this if you have a phone !

I have a workaround for this if you have a phone. I was trying to figure out a way to fix this since Im using logitech k810 and microsoft sculp mouse. both are bluetooth device. k810 works fine when used alone, when paired with mouse and WIFI is on, both becomes unresponsive and starts to act weird...

MY FIX: I have a phone (HTC ONE) and what I do is connect that to wifi. Then I pair the device with my Nexus 7 Flo, On Nexus 7, I go to bluetooth setting for my paired phone, then there should be an option to connect to the internet using bluetooth from the phone.

It works flawlessly! I am not sure about how fast the speed is since I am currently at a cafe, will test it when I get back home! But both my mouse and keyboard working 100% perfect.

also by doing this, it will save battery on your nexus 7 by using bluetooth instead of wifi!

slm4slm

Mar 8, 2012
Ya, that was my post. It seems that Android, as of 4.3, is incorrectly detecting various bluetooth keyboards(all?) as "Broadcom Bluetooth Device", with keyboard type "KEYBOARD_TYPE_NON_ALPHABETIC", which is typically used for bluetooth game controllers(verified programmatically in the code for a game I'm working on).

For those looking to fix it: Renaming the file above requires root access. It's probably possible using a root file explorer, but I used a root terminal(specifically, terminal emulator logged in as root). I'll post here some instructions on how to accomplish it if you're using a terminal:

Note: first line is only needed if using a shell that doesn't automatically log into root. For example, it's unnecessary if using "adb shell" from a remote computer

Code:
su
mount -o remount,rw /system
cd /system/usr/keylayout
mv Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl.bak

After that, reboot and you *should* be golden(I take no responsibility if this in some way breaks your device or generally doesn't work; this is just what worked for me).

I honestly haven't tried using a root explorer, but in theory that would just involve navigating to /system/usr/keylayout in said explorer and renaming the file from the GUI. Assuming, of course, that the explorer knows to remount /system as read/writable(or has a function to do so, in which case: do that first)

what happens after i add .old to the file? how it works?

Last edited:

Theblaze973T

Jan 8, 2012
Actually, I think you see Vendor_05ac_Product_0239 -- not _0a5c_. I don;t mean to be glib, but look closer at the file list as it is in there someplace in /system/usr/keylayout. :)

Honestly, it isn't. I attempted the fix via the terminal included with CM10.2 and the error came up as missing file/directory.

Could you possibly upload the file to dropbox or something so that us (who are running CM 10.2) can download/fix it?

Getting this bug on SGT-P7510 (CM10.2 - JB4.3)

EDIT: I got a friend of mine to send me his version of the file. I have posted it on mediafire so that other people can use it. To install it (I used ES), make sure your root browser has superuser access and that /system is mounted as RW. Then simply paste. About to test if it works.

EDIT 2: Did not fix. Here it is anyways. http://www.mediafire.com/view/1zu73828mlzbzz6/Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl.bak

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2007
what happens after i add .old to the file? how it works?

Basically, Android is incorrectly identifying your bluetooth keyboard as a bluetooth game controller, so its expecting the normal game controller buttons and triggers, so doesn't know how to map the keys. By adding the ".old", Android can't find the key layout for the default bluetooth game controller(which it's incorrectly using), and instead falls back to the default bluetooth input device key layout, which includes the standard keyboard layout. It's has the same effect as if you delete the file entirely, but keeps it around just in case it's ever needed in the future(I have no idea why it would be, but it doesn't hurt anything to keep it)

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Is there any chance to have same apps but for unrooted Nexus 10 ?

Many thanks for your help

Unfortunately, no. This process requires modifying the system partition, which requires a remount in read-write mode AND permissions to actually change the file. Both of those require root access. Without it, you're just going to have to wait until Google pushes a fix. For what it's worth: I feel your pain. I, too, have an unrooted N10(shared with the wife) which I now can't use with my keyboard.

Reactions: slm4slm

slm4slm

Mar 8, 2012
Basically, Android is incorrectly identifying your bluetooth keyboard as a bluetooth game controller, so its expecting the normal game controller buttons and triggers, so doesn't know how to map the keys. By adding the ".old", Android can't find the key layout for the default bluetooth game controller(which it's incorrectly using), and instead falls back to the default bluetooth input device key layout, which includes the standard keyboard layout. It's has the same effect as if you delete the file entirely, but keeps it around just in case it's ever needed in the future(I have no idea why it would be, but it doesn't hurt anything to keep it)

---------- Post added at 05:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:11 PM ----------

Unfortunately, no. This process requires modifying the system partition, which requires a remount in read-write mode AND permissions to actually change the file. Both of those require root access. Without it, you're just going to have to wait until Google pushes a fix. For what it's worth: I feel your pain. I, too, have an unrooted N10(shared with the wife) which I now can't use with my keyboard.

Thanks for the replay

Spit

Oct 29, 2006
Rouen

[/COLOR]

Many thanks for your answer, as I dont have enough time to spent on backup, root and restore, I will wait few moment like that. I'm just hoping that Google will do something.

Regards

midnite_blue

Jul 13, 2013
Seattle
So i think some things fixed with the bluetooth in the 4.3 OS update has broken other things. :(
True that.

I'd been looking forward to 4.3 to fix the infamous repeating-letter glitch on my BT Motorola keyboard 'for Atrix and Zoom.' It did fix it. Sorry to hear other keyboards took the opposite journey.

Before the upgrade I used a Play Store app that made the problem go away while I waited: External Keyboard Helper Pro.
Maybe it'll help... might be worth a try.

‹unrooted›

gabegom

Feb 7, 2011
Greenville, NC
help?

I have also been having trouble using my apple keyboard with my nex10 since the update, but for different reasons. I seem to be missing the vendor_0a5c_product_8502.kl file that everyone keeps talking about, have used the app on this post, and manually replaced the file, much to no avail. I can connect the keyboard via bluetooth, but it does not seem to work once connected. I am running CM10.2 and Gapps 4.3, if anyone knows how to fix this, much help would be appreciated.:D

Dkmwong

Mar 15, 2012
Upgraded to android 4.4 last night and I was hoping this problem would be fixed - I'm still experiencing this issue.

Anyone have better luck?

I flashed my Nexus 10 back to complete stock (bootloader is still unlocked) before upgrading to kitkat.

alexmadrzyk

Jun 5, 2013
Ya, that was my post. It seems that Android, as of 4.3, is incorrectly detecting various bluetooth keyboards(all?) as "Broadcom Bluetooth Device", with keyboard type "KEYBOARD_TYPE_NON_ALPHABETIC", which is typically used for bluetooth game controllers(verified programmatically in the code for a game I'm working on).

For those looking to fix it: Renaming the file above requires root access. It's probably possible using a root file explorer, but I used a root terminal(specifically, terminal emulator logged in as root). I'll post here some instructions on how to accomplish it if you're using a terminal:

Note: first line is only needed if using a shell that doesn't automatically log into root. For example, it's unnecessary if using "adb shell" from a remote computer

Code:
su
cd /system/usr/keylayout

After that, reboot and you *should* be golden(I take no responsibility if this in some way breaks your device or generally doesn't work; this is just what worked for me).

I honestly haven't tried using a root explorer, but in theory that would just involve navigating to /system/usr/keylayout in said explorer and renaming the file from the GUI. Assuming, of course, that the explorer knows to remount /system as read/writable(or has a function to do so, in which case: do that first)

Is there a slight change this is possible without root? I have a Dell Venue 8 running 4.3, and ever since this update from 4.2.2 I lost root access... Just bought a new keyboard and it won't work :(

mtnduh

Aug 27, 2013
I have also been having trouble using my apple keyboard with my nex10 since the update, but for different reasons. I seem to be missing the vendor_0a5c_product_8502.kl file that everyone keeps talking about, have used the app on this post, and manually replaced the file, much to no avail. I can connect the keyboard via bluetooth, but it does not seem to work once connected. I am running CM10.2 and Gapps 4.3, if anyone knows how to fix this, much help would be appreciated.:D

hey i was also missing this file on a nexus 7 -- did you ever figure out what to do?

Medici87

Jul 26, 2014
hey i was also missing this file on a nexus 7 -- did you ever figure out what to do?

I'm also experiencing the same problem, there's no way I am able to to use my bluetooth keyboard under 4.4.2. I've searched for the Vendor file, but it doesn't exists on this version.. I don't know what else to do..

Reilly1812

Nov 23, 2011
West Long Branch, NJ
Had same problem with bluetooth headphones and kitkat. firmware update of headphones fixed the issue. any chance keyboard can be firmware updated? just a thought.

josemata00

Aug 19, 2009
Yaracuy - Venezuela
I have a Bluetooth Keyboard and he works perfectly if im using the 4.2.2. Now only the letters work, no Space, no enter, no backspace and nothing more... Anyone have this problem too?

(Sorry for my poor English)

========== UPDATE ========
Based on Google Code Forum users, I developed the app to solve this problem:

Bluetooth Keyboard Bug Fix:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.heightdev.ganhou

Tested on my Nexus 10 and work perfectly.
Need Root! Use at your own risk.

Gracias! Funcionó en Samsung S4 con rom Stock 4.4.2

Thank you! It worked on Samsung S4 with Stock rom 4.4.2

RedFodex

Oct 21, 2015
bump. 5.1.1 same problem. There is no vendor_0a5c_product_8502.kl file in system/usr/keylayout. please help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok - I renamed my /system/usr/keylayout/Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl to /system/usr/keylayout/Vendor_0a5c_Product_8502.kl.old and rebooted.

Paired my keyboard and everything worked flawlessly. Since I'm from Germany I wanted to switch to a german layout. You can switch from the generic layout to the german by choosing the appropriate layout on Language and Input. Not all keys are working (like the mute button or the current apps running button) but I can finally type.

Code:
    su
    cd /system/usr/keylayout

Based on Google Code Forum users, I developed the app to solve this problem:

Bluetooth Keyboard Bug Fix:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.heightdev.ganhou

Tested on my Nexus 10 and work perfectly.
    Need Root! Use at your own risk.
    My Apple bt keyboard works just fine. Hilarious, eh?
    My Apple bt keyboard works just fine. Hilarious, eh?

It's the future alliance? hahahahahaha
    However, nothing works. I would be in a notepad page, long press to get the "select input device" and nothing but the Google-touch-screen keyboard was shown (choose languages, etc).

AFAIK, that's expected. Bluetooth (and I assume USB ) keyboards don't show as a different input method. When I use mine, SwiftKey stays active, though it changes its UI. It continues to suggest word completions, etc.

Of course, when I hit "a" on my keyboard, "a" shows up on the tablet....