Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,985 Members 41,284 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

SD card, moving apps and writing

Tip us?

Felborn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Default SD card, moving apps and writing

So I just installed a brand new SanDisk 64Gb SD card to my Z2, but seems KitKat changed alot on how work with external card. From what I have found true Google, third party like ES file Explorer can no longer write files to my SD card, so I'm forced to stick with the stock file browser? Seems very odd to me I got to admit, even tho I read a long story of why this was a good thing as fare as security goes. No way around it?

Secondly, I only have the 16GB version, and that's a fairely low storage capasity in 2014. I see I can move music, pictures and movies to my SD card, but can I move whole applications, or am I stuck with around 12GB application capasity for the next years? Seems to me that's a limit I will reach pretty soon. Is it possible to move application, or are media files all I can store on my SD card?

hasenbein1966
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Unlock and root, then you can fix the problem and access the Sd card normally from all apps.
(For instance, with "SD Fix" in the playstore).
The Following User Says Thank You to hasenbein1966 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Felborn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenbein1966 View Post
Unlock and root, then you can fix the problem and access the Sd card normally from all apps.
(For instance, with "SD Fix" in the playstore).
Do I need to unlock to root my device? Atleast on my old Asus TF700 unlocking spoiled any and all warranty, and I rather not go down that route with a 1 month old tablet if it could be avoided. That said, living with this huge clamp around my tablet's foot does not sound very tempting. Thougth this was the kind if crap I got away from when I gave my kid the Ipad and bought Android instead...

hasenbein1966
Old
Thanks Meter 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felborn View Post
Do I need to unlock to root my device? Atleast on my old Asus TF700 unlocking spoiled any and all warranty, and I rather not go down that route with a 1 month old tablet if it could be avoided. That said, living with this huge clamp around my tablet's foot does not sound very tempting. Thougth this was the kind if crap I got away from when I gave my kid the Ipad and bought Android instead...
An unrooted Android device is not the way to go, anyway.

When unrooted, you have to live with all this bloatware and unwanted background processes and ads and and and...

For me applies: Either I really like the device and I want to keep it, then it will be rooted, period. Or I don't, then I return it.
The Following User Says Thank You to hasenbein1966 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

namitneil
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felborn View Post
So I just installed a brand new SanDisk 64Gb SD card to my Z2, but seems KitKat changed alot on how work with external card. From what I have found true Google, third party like ES file Explorer can no longer write files to my SD card, so I'm forced to stick with the stock file browser? Seems very odd to me I got to admit, even tho I read a long story of why this was a good thing as fare as security goes. No way around it?

Secondly, I only have the 16GB version, and that's a fairely low storage capasity in 2014. I see I can move music, pictures and movies to my SD card, but can I move whole applications, or am I stuck with around 12GB application capasity for the next years? Seems to me that's a limit I will reach pretty soon. Is it possible to move application, or are media files all I can store on my SD card?
Download this from the amazing Jrummy Team.. From the creaters of rom toolbox..

Sent from my GT-N7100
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1399046887021.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	2721630  
The Following User Says Thank You to namitneil For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Felborn
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasenbein1966 View Post
An unrooted Android device is not the way to go, anyway.
When unrooted, you have to live with all this bloatware and unwanted background processes and ads and and and...
For me applies: Either I really like the device and I want to keep it, then it will be rooted, period. Or I don't, then I return it.
I agree with that, but in this case it seems rooting means unlocking bootloader and this again cancels my 5 years warranty as messes with the DRM keys... If there was some easy way of rooting without unlocking, I would do it, but at this point I'm not willing to unlock a 32 days old device. Shame I missed this until today, as the 30 days return policy just closed, if not it would most likely be going out the doors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by namitneil View Post
Download this from the amazing Jrummy Team.. From the creaters of rom toolbox..
Looks good, but sadly also requires root :/
The Following User Says Thank You to Felborn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

namitneil
Old
Thanks Meter 54
What i think is that if you have paid a heavy amount on warranty then one should not root.. while rooting can be a Liability as well as an Asset.. for a device of low range specifications rooting and increasing the performance of the device is an Asset.. while if you will root devices like Note 3, Galaxy S5, Xperia Z2.. It will be a Liability.. Because these devices already on peak of their performance cant be changed much even after rooting.. while greed has no end.. still people sacrifice their warranty of costly flasgship smartphones and root them..

Sent from my GT-N7100

DrearierJester1
Old
Thanks Meter 133
I just got my Z2, went home updated to .402 firmware and rooted it using EasyRootToo and installed SD Card Kitkat Fix but unfortunately I still couldn't see the Move to SD Card option from the App Info, is there something that I missed?

hasenbein1966
Old
Thanks Meter 153
"Move to SD card" is not a standard Android option, it's only implemented by certain manufacturers, especially Samsung.

Hhunted
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Hi guys,

Dont want to create a new topic and since this fits my issue so I'll ask in here.

I have a LTE 16GB version SGP521 with KK 4.4.2. I also have the latest firmware 402 installed.

I have bought a 64GB Class 10 ; 90MB/s read and 45MB/s write SD Card.

I was dreading that the 16GB internal is not enough and it is becoming a problem. I have been searching online for options to swop Internal and external sd cards.

I found this program https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....int2ext&hl=en , Root External 2 Internal SD, which apparently will trick android to think the external SD card is your internal and vice versa.

Question:

1. Did anyone try this one their Z2 Tablet?
2. Does it work with KK?
3. What settings other than "The original internal mounting point" and "The original external mounting point" must one change under the app setting to get this to work?

Like mentioned I found a few threads about this, but since it appears to different for devices I would like to first check with someone who already did this.

Any help?

Cheers