Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,298 Members 42,605 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[ROM][SGH-T399][T399UVUANE4][4.2.2] PreRooted, Busybox & Odin Flashable

Tip us?

@root@
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennhaven View Post
Anyone else tried to download this from the link T399UVUANE4 Firmware in the OP lately?

Running the sght399ne4prerooted.tar.md5.exe that downloads not only fails to extract any tar, it installs a utility called ezdownloader and numerous pieces of adware and/or potential malware. I would not even suggest attempting to test extract/install it without first imaging a clean backup of your OS drive.

Would the OP or anyone else please provide an actual clean copy of what is allegedly offered here?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NN15vBcjdN0&t=0m17s

Quote:
Most users click on an "I agree" or "I accept" button without reading the long and complex license agreement that expresses consent to place the malware onto their systems.

http://www.internetworldstats.com/articles/art053.htm

pennhaven
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by @root@ View Post
I appreciate the reply and I appreciate your sharing the ROM. I finally got it installed, and all seems well so far.

I really wish you had posted it to another host, though, or at least included a warning. I spent quite a lot more time than would have been necessary if I had just installed the OE ROM and re-rooted.
Asus Transformer Prime - AndroWook Hairy Bean 2.31 - hokypoky mod of Hundsbuah F2FS Kernel
HTC Glacier (T-Mobile MT4G) - Radio 12.62.60.27_26.13.04.19 - Sabsa Prime v15 - WIFI Calling - LowMicFix - Still need a screen flicker fix.
Samsung Galaxy Light (SGH-T339) - T-Mobile Android 4.2.2 - T399UVUANE4 Rooted

@root@
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 75
Unfortunately, I could not find a better free file hosting website that allows users to upload large files (Note: ROM's file size is 1.3GB).

WetWilly
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
I really wish you had posted it to another host, though, or at least included a warning. I spent quite a lot more time than would have been necessary if I had just installed the OE ROM and re-rooted.
Sorry I didn't see notifications for this thread earlier or I would have pointed out the checkbox; in fact, on my screen the large arrow next to the "Download" button points directly right at the checkbox. To be fair to the OP many free download hosts have similar pre-checked boxes to download custom extensions/downloaders loaded with adware. As for the lack of a warning, it's a given these days that one has to read the download page carefully before clicking any "Download" button.

pennhaven
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetWilly View Post
Sorry I didn't see notifications for this thread earlier or I would have pointed out the checkbox; in fact, on my screen the large arrow next to the "Download" button points directly right at the checkbox. To be fair to the OP many free download hosts have similar pre-checked boxes to download custom extensions/downloaders loaded with adware. As for the lack of a warning, it's a given these days that one has to read the download page carefully before clicking any "Download" button.
Here is a capture of the first screen presented by the download site on Firefox:

Note there is no warning and no arrow. Only by following the non-intuitive instructions from the video @root@ linked to can you know to avoid clicking on Download Now, which loads this screen:

Once again there is nothing to make clear that clicking Download Now will do something you might not want. Which is in fact what happens.

There may be limited free hosts available to host files of this size, and @root@ may not have intended any harm, but this download host is a bad actor, and should only be used with explicit warnings.
Asus Transformer Prime - AndroWook Hairy Bean 2.31 - hokypoky mod of Hundsbuah F2FS Kernel
HTC Glacier (T-Mobile MT4G) - Radio 12.62.60.27_26.13.04.19 - Sabsa Prime v15 - WIFI Calling - LowMicFix - Still need a screen flicker fix.

WetWilly
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Here is a capture of the first screen presented by the download site on Firefox:
I am using Firefox 24.5.0 ESR and have NEVER gotten that giant "Download Now" button the multiple times I have visited that download site. I literally just visited @root@'s link while typing this reply and I still didn't get it, so I'm assuming there's something with your browser, settings, add-ons, or cookies that's allowing that button to show up.

Regardless, you learned another rule of thumb - when you go to one of these download sites and there are two "Download" buttons, ignore the big one and select the less obvious one.

pennhaven
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by WetWilly View Post
I am using Firefox 24.5.0 ESR and have NEVER gotten that giant "Download Now" button the multiple times I have visited that download site. I literally just visited @root@'s link while typing this reply and I still didn't get it, so I'm assuming there's something with your browser, settings, add-ons, or cookies that's allowing that button to show up.

Regardless, you learned another rule of thumb - when you go to one of these download sites and there are two "Download" buttons, ignore the big one and select the less obvious one.
I'm on Firefox 30.0. Addons, cookies - certainly I have a few of former and plenty of the latter.

You could have stopped after the first paragraph, though.The rest is unnecessary condescension. Yes indeed I have learned something. I've been downloading shareware, utilities and firmware for decades, but it took first time experience with this download host to teach me the lesson.

WetWilly
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
You could have stopped after the first paragraph, though.The rest is unnecessary condescension.
1) It was not condescension - sorry if you took it that way, but other people read these threads and while you posted the helpful screenshots, you never mentioned that the "correct" Download button was the small, innocuous one in your screenshot and not the giant "Download Now" button.

2) Condescension or not, I have to admit I'm baffled as to how someone who's been downloading for decades has NEVER seen a filehoster like this. Almost all of the smaller ones and/or lesser known ones have been doing this for quite a while and, with that in mind, it's unfair to single out and label this host - one of the VERY few that will allow free downloads as large as this ROM - a "bad actor".

Planterz
Old
Thanks Meter 75
I'm using Firefox, and although I didn't download the file (it'd take 3 hours, and I don't need it), it seems like it'll download just fine. 2 clicks. No waiting 30 or 60 seconds either. I really don't know what some of you are bitching about.
Relax, go nutz!