Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,696 Members 37,413 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sony Xperia Z Ultra LTE vs Google Play Edition...which is more preferable?

Tip us?

zchen
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Maybe I'm dense, but what makes the Sony version w/GPE rom superior to the GPE w/GPE rom? I ordered the GPE version from expansys not realizing they had the Sony version, is it worth to exchange it for the Sony?

adfurgerson
Old
(Last edited by adfurgerson; 22nd July 2014 at 09:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by zchen View Post
Maybe I'm dense, but what makes the Sony version w/GPE rom superior to the GPE w/GPE rom? I ordered the GPE version from expansys not realizing they had the Sony version, is it worth to exchange it for the Sony?
The GPe ROM runs the same on either device, but the Sony port is buggy on the Gpe. There are more custom ROMs for Sony.
The Sony port is only 4.4.3 and nobody is working to fix or update it. Also there is the issue of camera breaking when bootloader is unlocked, which can probably worked around now by backing up ta after rooting with towelroot. But needing to restore ta to go back to Gpe would mean you couldn't just Nandroid back to Gpe ROM from custom.

jimmyjoebob
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
I ordered the GPE version from expansys not realizing they had the Sony version, is it worth to exchange it for the Sony?
If you're looking for the US version this applies...
Expansys only offers the US version C6806 in the GPe version, not the Sony version.
If you want the US Sony version of the C6806, then get it from the Sony site.

zchen
Old
(Last edited by zchen; 22nd July 2014 at 09:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjoebob View Post
If you're looking for the US version this applies...
Expansys only offers the US version C6806 in the GPe version, not the Sony version.
If you want the US Sony version of the C6806, then get it from the Sony site.
Yes, I'm in the US. it'll have to be exchange for the C6833 version at $10 more (and doesn't have 700 lte). So I think I'll be good just with the GPe version because I don't plan to change the rom. Just going to root it, install xpose framwork, perapp change dpi, and install the stock sony walkman and album apps....

jimmyjoebob
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Yes, I'm in the US. it'll have to be exchange for the C6833 version at $10 more. So I think I'll be good just with the GPe version because I don't plan to change the rom. Just going to root it, install xpose framwork, perapp change dpi, and install the stock sony walkman and album apps....
I use Cricket (AT&T) Wireless, so the C6833 wouldn't get the LTE 700 Mhz for my carrier.
I get the GPe version today too from Expansys.

blueether
Old
Thanks Meter 968

DONATE TO ME
For those getting the GPe read this thread before doing anything to it
Charles
Alcatel One Touch "easy" -> Nokia 1110i -> Alcatel ame-408 -> Motorola Razr v3 -> Huawei u8100 -> Sony Xperia Z-Ultra

ROM:- Carbon
Kernel:- Pimped Kernel

Thankyou to all those that have donated to me over 2014.