Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,130 Members 52,721 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Kindle "Tate" & OFFICIAL CyanogenMod 11.0 for the Kindle Fire HD 7"

Tip us?
 
Maxxgold
Old
(Last edited by Maxxgold; 31st May 2014 at 06:11 PM.)
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: May 2014
Default Kindle "Tate" & OFFICIAL CyanogenMod 11.0 for the Kindle Fire HD 7"

Just wanted to post this for anyone looking to do this. I have the Tate Kindle Fire HD and as we all know there have been no updates to the OS and there probably will not be any. Most of the people here like to play with things to see how they work and see what they get away with. I'm no different.

Not being able to use all of the Android apps can be frustrating especially when there is an app that can play on your device but it's not on the Amazon app store yet. Every Kindle owner secretly dreams of being able to use the Google Play Store.

So I did what a lot of us have done and I rooted my Kindle Tate and installed the Google Play Store. I was checking out some apps and then I went to purchase Grand Theft Auto and I got a this version is not supported on your device warning. It would not let me purchase this app while rooted with the Google Play Store. Apparently the services that it checks for are not available on a rooted tablet. Plenty of other apps let me install them but I realized that the good apps all had hardware requirements.

After this happened I was thinking that rooting your Kindle Fire HD is just a waste of time if I'm limited to only the generic apps. Grand Theft Auto runs on my Kindle Fire HD from the Amazon app store just fine in case anyone is wondering.

So after seeing that rooting your Kindle Fire HD is really a waste of time if you're just going to put the Google Play Store on it. Especially for people that want everything. If you only want generic apps then you might as well just stay with Amazon. So that's what I was thinking. Then I said well maybe I can just install Android 4.4 with theCyanogenMod

So I got everything I needed and proceeded to put CyanogenMod 11.0 on my Kindle Fire Tate. First impressions I was like YEAH, this is hot. You could configure it and change the wallpaper and it just looked great. I was thinking that I definitely made a good decision and that I would be able to enjoy my Kindle Fire HD more.

Then after playing around with it for a while and trying lots of apps for it I started to realize that yeah it looks good but compared to the Generic Amazon OS it ran like crap. I could install Grand Theft Auto on my device once I put the CyanogenMod on my device but it ran like crap so I installed Magic 2014 on it, a game that I had played on this Kindle for many hours. It was choppy and laggy. You would press the screen and nothing would happen. It was playable but it was bad compared to playing on the Amazon OS. I tried to optimize it and spent at least 3 hours trying to get it to play games smoothly but it just wouldn't. I'm older also and you will notice right away that apps text size is smaller. You can increase the text size for the device in settings but it has no effect on the apps that you run. Text from apps I played on the Amazon OS was very small on Android 4.4. This may not be a big deal to younger people but to me it was noticeable. It was like the text for a phone instead of a tablet.

So then I restored my Kindle Fire HD and then wiped it to factory settings and re installed everything that I was using on the Android 4.4 and wow was it so much better. The Amazon OS while not pretty is fast and responsive compared to this. It felt like a nice tablet again.

I'm just writing this for the average joe. Don't waste your time with your Kindle Fire HD Tate by trying to make it better. Nothing you can do is going to get it how you want it. Just enjoy it for what it is. If you want to have a nice Android device running the latest software then just buy an Android Device that's running he latest software. If you buy a Kindle they you are just locked into what you spent.

My next tablet will be a device that just runs on Android.
 
Skinpipe
Old
#2  
Member
Thanks Meter 27
Posts: 87
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: burntwood,west midlands
hi
what build of cm11 did you use?
Im curious I have just installed snapshot m6 on my kindle but I haven't tested any games or apps at all.
 
stunts513
Old
(Last edited by stunts513; 1st June 2014 at 12:35 AM.)
#3  
stunts513's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 603
Posts: 2,182
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New Braunfels, TX

 
DONATE TO ME
I'm curious how you tried to adjust text size, I just would have tried tweaking the DPI (think it's labeled something like screen density in the build.prop) I believe you could boost your performance more with maromis kernel by setting the clock as high as it can go (not every device can handle the highest setting without locking up) and putting it in performance mode. Remember hashcode is still working on this ROM and has been for a while. Personally my kindle runs much faster on cm 11 than it did on stock, but I dont use it for gaming, I find most android games annoying once they bring in 3d games that look like ps1 era graphics. I prefer 2d games on android like beat hazard or angry birds.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
 
Maxxgold
Old
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinpipe View Post
hi
what build of cm11 did you use?
Im curious I have just installed snapshot m6 on my kindle but I haven't tested any games or apps at all.

I tried the build from the 29th and the 30th and it was the same with both builds. I also read through the development thread and I noticed that playing games was an issue.

If you're not playing games then it would probably be fine. All the normal apps ran good enough that I could live with the performance but I want my device to be able to do everything.
 
Maxxgold
Old
(Last edited by Maxxgold; 1st June 2014 at 07:35 PM.)
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 3
Join Date: May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by stunts513 View Post
I'm curious how you tried to adjust text size, I just would have tried tweaking the DPI (think it's labeled something like screen density in the build.prop) I believe you could boost your performance more with maromis kernel by setting the clock as high as it can go (not every device can handle the highest setting without locking up) and putting it in performance mode. Remember hashcode is still working on this ROM and has been for a while. Personally my kindle runs much faster on cm 11 than it did on stock, but I dont use it for gaming, I find most android games annoying once they bring in 3d games that look like ps1 era graphics. I prefer 2d games on android like beat hazard or angry birds.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using Tapatalk
Yeah I think the issue is gaming. It ran fine while doing normal things. It was just when I put games on it that it had major problems. I know everyone doesn't play games but a lot of us do. It's a deal breaker for me. I just went into settings and made the text size large which was fine but in apps I noticed that the text was small. I mainly noticed this in Magic 2014. The text is already small in this game but running the Cyan-Mod it was unbearably small for me. Some people would probably be ok with it. I'm 48 and my eyes are not as good as they used to be.
 
wire55
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 283
Join Date: Feb 2013
This tablet only has a dual core processor, it would run games a lot faster with a quad core processor.

Sent from my Amazon Tate using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
\
 
LinearEquation
Old
(Last edited by LinearEquation; 2nd June 2014 at 06:52 AM.)
#7  
LinearEquation's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 399
Posts: 1,669
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Midwest

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxgold View Post
Yeah I think the issue is gaming. It ran fine while doing normal things. It was just when I put games on it that it had major problems. I know everyone doesn't play games but a lot of us do. It's a deal breaker for me. I just went into settings and made the text size large which was fine but in apps I noticed that the text was small. I mainly noticed this in Magic 2014. The text is already small in this game but running the Cyan-Mod it was unbearably small for me. Some people would probably be ok with it. I'm 48 and my eyes are not as good as they used to be.
I have a KFHD7 and a Nexus 7 and the both game fine. My Kindle is the tablet I have set up for gaming using the HDMI cord and my six axis app because the Kindle natively maintains a charge while using HDMI. That means I game all day if I want. I play emulators, GTA, Modern Combat, Max Payne and a slew of other games. The Kindle games great and the majority of my games are from the Play Store. Sorry your luck is not so good with the Kindle. It's not as snappy as my Nexus 7 Flo but it's much faster with CM on it. My opinion.

Edit: About GTA from Amazon App Store - Some apps sold there are Kindle editions and are not completely compatible for other tablets. GTA from the Play Store works on my Kindle with CM on it while the one I bought from Amazon is not compatible with either my Nexus or Kindle because it's a Kindle app. When you put CM on your Kindle, your tablet is no longer recognized as a Kindle. I bought it because I got half coins back plus $20 buck worth of coins free.


Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running CM 11 4.4.2 with ElementalX Kernel using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
[ROOT] 2013 KFHD7 Soho firmware 11.x.x.x (no camera)
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...44736&page=101 If needed contact @GranPC for an updated Firerooter.
[Root] 2012 KFHD7 Tate http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1886460
2nd [Bootloader]/[TWRP] KFHD7 Tate
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2128848
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2271909
KFHD7 Tate System Restore Tool http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1951254
 
Miskreant
Old
#8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 4
Join Date: Mar 2014
After reading your post I felt compelled to reply, as my own experiences installing and using CM11 on the KFHD "Tate" have been nothing like what you have described. It is unfortunate that you were not able to get things working the way you wanted them to...that being said, the decision to switch from the stock Amazon ROM to CM11 has transformed my Kindle from a glorified e-reader/24 hour Amazon advertisement to a fast and reliable full-function Android tablet. I can say this without reservation. There is nothing that a Nexus 7 or other comparable tablet can do that I can't do just as well on my KFHD. 100% of the credit for that goes to CyanogenMod. Thanks to CM11, my KFHD is currently overclocked to 1728.0MHz max frequency, which is a 42% increase in clock speed over Amazon's kernel. The GPU is similarly overclocked. This has come, at least in my case, at no cost to stability. Prior to switching from the stock Amazon ROM I sideloaded Antutu benchmark. With the stock ROM installed the highest score I ever saw was around 9500. After switching to CM11, the same exact device managed a score of 15485. There is simply no comparison. CM11 > Amazon ROM. Any day of the week.
 
Mr. Xplosion Man
Old
#9  
Mr. Xplosion Man's Avatar
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 79
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miskreant View Post
After reading your post I felt compelled to reply, as my own experiences installing and using CM11 on the KFHD "Tate" have been nothing like what you have described. It is unfortunate that you were not able to get things working the way you wanted them to...that being said, the decision to switch from the stock Amazon ROM to CM11 has transformed my Kindle from a glorified e-reader/24 hour Amazon advertisement to a fast and reliable full-function Android tablet. I can say this without reservation. There is nothing that a Nexus 7 or other comparable tablet can do that I can't do just as well on my KFHD. 100% of the credit for that goes to CyanogenMod. Thanks to CM11, my KFHD is currently overclocked to 1728.0MHz max frequency, which is a 42% increase in clock speed over Amazon's kernel. The GPU is similarly overclocked. This has come, at least in my case, at no cost to stability. Prior to switching from the stock Amazon ROM I sideloaded Antutu benchmark. With the stock ROM installed the highest score I ever saw was around 9500. After switching to CM11, the same exact device managed a score of 15485. There is simply no comparison. CM11 > Amazon ROM. Any day of the week.
I think the guy ****ed up somewhere. Never had issues besides rooting. Not even gonna lie when I rooted my device was fine but when I tried to install boot loader it never completed properly but I got lucky and our worked. ROM's never had issues with device besides allowing my device to run faster. Amazon os seems good because their is literaly nothing but the app drawer and store on it.
 
Dr. Drax
Old
#10  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 3
Posts: 28
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miskreant View Post
Thanks to CM11, my KFHD is currently overclocked to 1728.0MHz max frequency, which is a 42% increase in clock speed over Amazon's kernel. The GPU is similarly overclocked.
What tool or kernel are you using for overclocking? I'm running CM11 M8 on my Tate, and the built-in performance settings only let me go to 1500MHz for the CPU and I don't see any GPU overclocking options.

Although I will say that even just running CM11 at 1500MHz seems substantially faster than running Amazon's stock at 1200MHz, including for games, so I don't know what OP is talking about. Granted, he was running a nightly from several weeks before the M8 snapshot, so he could have just been running into some bugs.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Cast Your Device Screen the Way it Was Meant to be with Second Screen

Not too long ago here on the XDA Portal, we covered how Google had made … more

Samsung Gear Live Unboxed the XDA Way – XDA Developer TV

XDA Developer TV Producer AdamOutleris known for his XDA Unboxingseries where … more

Make Your Own DIY Capacitive Stylus

The XDA Portal is a place where we like to talkabout things that are interesting, fun, and sometimes … more