Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,274 Members 45,752 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[KERNEL] Alucard STweaks settings shared for i9505

Tip us?

Ky0sHiR0
Old
(Last edited by Ky0sHiR0; 6th July 2014 at 09:22 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Yeah, Stats are okay. Im not using my phone like normal (weekend time. I Just dont understand what is wrong when i wanna browsing.
1 % per minute is okay ? Can You browse webs for 15 minutes (via 3g and via WiFi) and write % per minute ? Which browser do You use ?
I will try your setting after i update kernel and settings because I wanna check my whole cycle ( is it kantjer settings + ur changes ? ).
BTW. I know that modem will do nothing about WiFi but i was talking about browsing via 3g.
In addition can i greenify apps like GSAM and battery guru ?
Tapatalk - Poland
Thanks

-Mindroid-
Old
Thanks Meter 45
Default Fluid gaming

Alucard is hands down the best kernel for SGS4! Thank you OP for starting the thread!
I have different priorities than most users and the Alucard kernel with the flexibility provided by STweaks is just incredible.

I make light use of my phone during the day but I oftentimes play games till battery drain in the evening.
Particularly ShadowGun: DeadZone.
It's a demanding 3D shooter game where speed is a great advantage. I've suffered stutter since day 1 on my SGS4(T-Mobile). Interestingly my old phone - Nexus 4 was very fluid but had a slow touchscreen making gaming unpleasant in a different way. Since the SGS4 uses the newer generation Qualcomm SoC (Snapdragon 600 vs S4 Pro) I suspect that Samsung may be using slower Flash memory on the Galaxy S4, at least the M919 T-Mobile variant or maybe just my particular device.

I've tried every tweak there is but so far the only thing that has helped eliminate stutter is using a "deadline" IO scheduler on the Internal Flash. If I understand correctly deadline ensures time slots which helps synchronize repeating events such as video.

Other thoughts on optimizations:
Undervolting
Each SoCs is made differently but generally you should be able to undervolt -10%. STweaks plays it safe and allows undervolting only about -5% from stock. Go ahead and pull your CPU Voltage sliders all the way to the left!
Note that at 378kHz the CPU can run @825mV. 702kHz needs 850mV. 3% more power will allow you to finish your task almost twice as fast!!!
It doesn't makes sense to run your phone below 702kHz ever. Be aware that this logic only plays true if you have proper cooling. The battery drains much faster as heat builds up. I'm not a fan of CPU speed scaling because it only helps save a little power when there is no activity, for example during reading. Limiting the max CPU frequency to a point where the SoC can cool itself efficiently is another strategy for power saving. I find that my phone is still very fast @ 1.3GHz while higher frequency steps can make it very hot. Thermal protection is very bad for performance so ideally you never want it to kick in. I think the 702-1350kHz window is the sweet spot for performance/battery as it gives you almost double the performance at about 10% extra power.

GPU
I can play demanding 3D games with the GPU @128kHz without problems. However I see no heat issues with the GPU at higher clock rates so I have it at:
GPU GOVERNOR performance
GPU MAX FREQ 320
GPU MIN FREQ 320
GPU THERMAL 450
The Following User Says Thank You to -Mindroid- For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jimsilver73
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 868
Hey @-Mindroid- I think you make some good points there regarding keeping CPU high to get tasks done quicker.

AFAIK performance governor either CPU or GPU sticks at to frequency period, so the only frequency that will makea doyenne is the top, and lower is irrelevant.

It'd be really interested on seeing your complete profile posted here asa file for others to try
S4 i9505
My setup + links to very cool stuff

DualBootPatcherAndroid-7.0.0.r133 snapshot (link to latest)
(sharing1 set of apks between all ROMs)

Primary -
ROM: Shostock 8

Secondary -
ROM: Dandvh GPE
Kernel: Googymax3

Multi slot 1- (daily driver)
ROM: SlimSaberKat
Kernel: Alucard

Multi slot 2 -
ROM: MIUI KK

Multi slot 3 -
ROM: Merk ROM

Modem: XXUGNE8
Recovery: TWRP

ART vs Dalvik VM
Alucard kernel settings sharing thread

The Following User Says Thank You to Jimsilver73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

-Mindroid-
Old
(Last edited by -Mindroid-; 22nd July 2014 at 12:38 AM.) Reason: Uploaded wrong file. Look below.
Thanks Meter 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsilver73 View Post
Hey @-Mindroid- I think you make some good points there regarding keeping CPU high to get tasks done quicker.

AFAIK performance governor either CPU or GPU sticks at to frequency period, so the only frequency that will makea doyenne is the top, and lower is irrelevant.

It'd be really interested on seeing your complete profile posted here asa file for others to try

The performance governor is regrettably missing from the Alucard kernel. Currently I have the Min and Max CPU frequency both at 1.2kHz to discourage CPU freq. scaling. I can't claim that my settings are well optimized because I don't think I understand all of the options but I will post my current profile if you guys want to try it out for fun. If I find other significant tweaks I will share them in this thread.

- Fluid gaming and UI
- Heat stays in low 60s under high stress
- Decent battery life
- OK performance (3Dmark score: 9415, high performance profiles score 11500)

a103
Old
Thanks Meter 144
Hi,

I've just flashed this kernel and using battery profile. How do I make sure that the profile I'm using is stuck? Also what's the configuration of the profile I.e. min-max CPU MHz etc?

Any help is appreciated.

Jimsilver73
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by a103 View Post
Hi,

I've just flashed this kernel and using battery profile. How do I make sure that the profile I'm using is stuck? Also what's the configuration of the profile I.e. min-max CPU MHz etc?

Any help is appreciated.
I'm not actually sure but if you use a root browser to go into sd0/root/data/.Alucard then open 'battery profile' you can see for yourself the changes (if there are any, I remember a while back users reporting this profile was the same as default)
S4 i9505

Primary -

Secondary -

Multi slot 2 -

Multi slot 3 -

ART vs Dalvik VM

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimsilver73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Jimsilver73
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Mindroid- View Post
The performance governor is regrettably missing from the Alucard kernel. Currently I have the Min and Max CPU frequency both at 1.2kHz to discourage CPU freq. scaling.
That is exactly what performance governor does, simply sticks at the highest permitted CPU frequency
S4 i9505

Primary -

Secondary -

Multi slot 2 -

Multi slot 3 -

ART vs Dalvik VM

-Mindroid-
Old
(Last edited by -Mindroid-; 22nd July 2014 at 12:48 AM.)
Thanks Meter 45
I'm an idiot and uploaded the wrong file. Sorry about that!
This one should work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip fluid1.zip - [Click for QR Code] (1.3 KB, 10 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to -Mindroid- For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Kiboi
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Which ia the best extreme battery profile?
Samsung Galaxy SIV i9505
ROM:
Android: Carbon ROM 4.4.3
Kernel:
Alucard kernel: AOSP 2.6.7la

Jimsilver73
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiboi View Post
Which ia the best extreme battery profile?
Kantjers post #7
S4 i9505

Primary -

Secondary -

Multi slot 2 -

Multi slot 3 -

ART vs Dalvik VM

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimsilver73 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
alucard kernel, aosp/ge/tw, awesome!!, i9505, stweaks