Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,749 Members 49,399 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[SOFTWARE] [GUIDE]***Odin Back To Stock*** Retail Verizon S5

Tip us?

Misterxtc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCJC View Post
Has anyone else continued to see the Custom Lock on the boot screen when they boot up after going back to stock using ODIN?
Look four posts up, your answer is there.
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterxtc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

landshark68
Old
Thanks Meter 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterxtc View Post
Look four posts up, your answer is there.
Wow, nobody bothers to do any reading of threads any more before posting questions. And don't expect anyone now to actually go searching for the answer when you direct them to it. You could tell someone their answer is in the OP of the first pinned thread in the Q & A section and they will respond with, "Link please." People have gotten so lazy, they can't even be bothered to follow those simple directions and instead want a direct link so they won't actually have to make the effort to go find the thread. SMDH.
Shouldn't we treat this world like the garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus.......sometimes the circus comes to you

RockyCJC
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark68 View Post
Wow, nobody bothers to do any reading of threads any more before posting questions. And don't expect anyone now to actually go searching for the answer when you direct them to it. You could tell someone their answer is in the OP of the first pinned thread in the Q & A section and they will respond with, "Link please." People have gotten so lazy, they can't even be bothered to follow those simple directions and instead want a direct link so they won't actually have to make the effort to go find the thread. SMDH.
I would say the reverse of this....everybody is so quick to jump down other people's throats without any understanding of their situation. Is so easy to insult others on a message board post. I did read the thread and ran multiple searches across various sites but did not understand why after an ODIN restore and multiple reboots, the unlock symbol was still showing. Subsequently, after I posted the question, I had done another reboot the unlock symbol disappeared. What I was trying to ascertain was whether or not anyone had experienced persistent unlock symbol.

Also, not to pile on but something to consider before you electronically b-slap someone, searching on tapatalk is not always simple and its easy to tell someone to read a thread that is multiple pages and hundreds of posts long. I always have to laugh when people say, read the thread, and the thread is 300 + posts, half of which is full of people's brain farts. Not that this thread was that long, but I am just making a point.

There is an old saying to think before you speak and I think many XDA members need to translate that across to think before you type.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RockyCJC For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Misterxtc
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 609
Quote:
I would say the reverse of this....everybody is so quick to jump down other people's throats without any understanding of their situation. Is so easy to insult others on a message board post. I did read the thread and ran multiple searches across various sites but did not understand why after an ODIN restore and multiple reboots, the unlock symbol was still showing. Subsequently, after I posted the question, I had done another reboot the unlock symbol disappeared. What I was trying to ascertain was whether or not anyone had experienced persistent unlock symbol.

Also, not to pile on but something to consider before you electronically b-slap someone, searching on tapatalk is not always simple and its easy to tell someone to read a thread that is multiple pages and hundreds of posts long. I always have to laugh when people say, read the thread, and the thread is 300 + posts, half of which is full of people's brain farts. Not that this thread was that long, but I am just making a point.

There is an old saying to think before you speak and I think many XDA members need to translate that across to think before you type.
Not to throw fuel on the fire but I have to agree. It's a royal pain using the phone with the XDA app to search. I have it installed on the phone for when I run out of thanks on the computer and that's about it. As for my post I didn't feel like typing the explanation again, it wasn't meant to insult anyone. Not saying anyone is accusing me either, just saying to clear things up. No big deal.

ezas
Old
Thanks Meter 291
Yeah but when the answer is 4 answers up? I'm not for the full blown B-slap but it did deserve a call out on it. I wouldn't think of typing one letter of a question without reading back two pages. If that takes more than two minutes you stopped to get a beer. (My rule is 5 pages)

And on the other hand etiquette would be to say I tried searching and if I missed it I apologize. . . But can you tell me. . . Tada misunderstanding avoided.

And it is XDA if you are bothered by a fairly polite reminder of the written and generally understood rules. There are other forums to get android help where they are more forgiving.

It's like going to Walmart and expecting to get good service and a short line at checkout.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Nexus 7 2013 - Mahdi/Elemental
Note 2 - Jett ROM 3.0/ Agni

Retired:
Nexus 7 2012 - Droid Charge - Samsung Fascinate - Galaxy Player 5.0 - Droid Charge
The Following User Says Thank You to ezas For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

landshark68
Old
Thanks Meter 473
Quote:

To reiterate what was just posted by ezas, your post didn't say anything about having read the thread and already tried rebooting several times. Had you done that to show you already put the effort in and were just looking for additional information or clarification, I would not have posted anything. But you didn't, so your post appeared to be asking a basic question that was just answered three posts before yours.

And please don't put words into my mouth. I did not say anything about searching as I know how ineffective the search function can be. I would never tell someone to read an entire 300+ post thread to find an answer but like you said, this thread is not that long. I have only ever suggested people should read at least the OP and the last few pages of a thread before posting a question.

I did think before I typed. Unfortunately, your post did not contain all the pertinent information to allow me to make a fully informed reply.

I am always helpful around the forums, but people need to make some kind of effort as I feel people learn the information much better that way rather than being constantly spoon fed information. And to clarify, the "link please" rant was not directed at you. I just sort of went off on a tangent while I was posting, so I hope you didn't take offense at that.

I have said my peace on this and will not comment further as I don't want to further clutter this thread with off topic discussion.
Shouldn't we treat this world like the garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus.......sometimes the circus comes to you
The Following User Says Thank You to landshark68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DarkMidnight
Old
Thanks Meter 19

DONATE TO ME
Question Odin & Windows 8.1 Professional

Good Evening everyone,

I have looked literally for hours to find some solution to my problem and it looks like flashing with Windows 8.1 Professional just isn't going to cut it.

Basically, I followed the instructions in the OP to the letter. When Odin gets to the "system.img.ext4" part, Odin crashes with a "stopped unexpectedly" message and then dies which has left my poor VZW Galaxy S5 in a distraught state.

The only solution I could come up with was using a machine with something other than Windows 8.X on it so I'm trying a Windows XP machine when I get home tonight.

I was just curious if anybody else has Windows 8 and if there is a trick I'm missing or if the majority of peeps in the thead have a different OS they are using.

Kies3 Is installed on my machine and is confirmed to not be running in any degree when attempting to flash.

Misterxtc
Old
(Last edited by Misterxtc; Today at 02:24 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkMidnight View Post
Good Evening everyone,

I have looked literally for hours to find some solution to my problem and it looks like flashing with Windows 8.1 Professional just isn't going to cut it.

Basically, I followed the instructions in the OP to the letter. When Odin gets to the "system.img.ext4" part, Odin crashes with a "stopped unexpectedly" message and then dies which has left my poor VZW Galaxy S5 in a distraught state.

The only solution I could come up with was using a machine with something other than Windows 8.X on it so I'm trying a Windows XP machine when I get home tonight.

I was just curious if anybody else has Windows 8 and if there is a trick I'm missing or if the majority of peeps in the thead have a different OS they are using.

Kies3 Is installed on my machine and is confirmed to not be running in any degree when attempting to flash.
Sorry to hear that. I'm running it fine on Windows 8.1 Pro, I do everything on this machine for the phone. As far as I know there aren't any tricks to running Odin on Windows. I have ADB and Android-SDK installed if that matters any but I'm pretty sure there are people without those installed. I would say check the MD5 on the tar file and if it doesn't match re-download it.

Edit: I had a Note 3 before this phone and I used Odin at least 50 times with zero problems while running Windows 8 and 8.1.

DarkMidnight
Old
Thanks Meter 19

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterxtc View Post
Sorry to hear that. I'm running it fine on Windows 8.1 Pro, I do everything on this machine for the phone. As far as I know there aren't any tricks to running Odin on Windows. I have ADB and Android-SDK installed if that matters any but I'm pretty sure there are people without those installed. I would say check the MD5 on the tar file and if it doesn't match re-download it.

Edit: I had a Note 3 before this phone and I used Odin at least 50 times with zero problems while running Windows 8 and 8.1.
Odd, I'll try checking the MD5 and see what happens. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. I'll report back with results.