Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,304 Members 41,147 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Does "Clean ESN" matter with newer phones

Tip us?

mexiking713
Old
Thanks Meter 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by _u2pop_ View Post
hey guys i got that exactly problem on my s5 verizon and i put a gsm of another carrier (viva) and show up that notification... for that signal work it (mobile data) with your SIM CARD you have to add your carrier APN in the settings>more networks>mobile network>access point names> and touch + and there will add your APN configuration and save it and done be sure you have your WI-FI OFF for show your 4G or H+ or Edge be in white color and enjoy it

the only issues i don't know how to remove the notification permanently
Use titanium backup to remove the setup wizard

Sent from my Galaxy Note S5
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (Black)
Rom: JasmineROM
Recovery: SafeStrap
Memory: 32GB internal + 64GB Sandisk MicroSDXC
Case: UAG Navigator, Trident Aegis (Black) & Otterbox Commuter (Black)
Screen protector: Nillkin Tempered Glass

The Following User Says Thank You to mexiking713 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

_u2pop_
Old
(Last edited by _u2pop_; 22nd July 2014 at 11:26 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexiking713 View Post

thanks bro is working!

_u2pop_
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexiking713 View Post

hey dude another question please.
i want to be sure if is the slot of the microsd is not working on ir the software have issues cause i re-installed 2 times with odin, and i was looking on the terminal ssh about the microsd is inserted the kernel said me is reading it. but into the software option> storage is not displaying nothing, i tested with 3 microsd with 2GB, 4GB and 8GB, i dont know if is one the pin in the slot is not reading completely on the microsd, or is the android software.. is a galaxy s5 by verizon, thanks.

Hobson318
Old
Thanks Meter 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
As for the original question in this thread - yes, "clean ESN" definitely still matters (although it's technically now the IMEI rather than an ESN).

In fact, it matters even more now than it used to. Previously, if you were talking about a Verizon phone, it only mattered for people wanting to use the phone on Verizon. But now there is a shared IMEI blacklist that Verizon is a part of, so a phone with a blacklisted IMEI on Verizon may not work on any major U.S. carrier.

---------- Post added at 10:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 PM ----------

Nope. Activated it on Verizon first when it was brand new.

After starting the phone with the T-Mobile SIM inserted, did you make sure the phone was in Global or GSM/UMTS mode and then select T-Mobile under Settings -> More Networks -> Mobile Networks -> Network operators?
I have to ask. When using the phone with T-Mobile or AT&T, are you getting 4g speeds or are you stuck on edge or 2g? My understanding was that you could not get 4g speeds from a Verizon device on a US GSM network.

bsweetness
Old
(Last edited by bsweetness; 23rd July 2014 at 02:53 AM.)
Thanks Meter 139
Default Does "Clean ESN" matter with newer phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobson318 View Post
I have to ask. When using the phone with T-Mobile or AT&T, are you getting 4g speeds or are you stuck on edge or 2g? My understanding was that you could not get 4g speeds from a Verizon device on a US GSM network.

Yes, I get 4G. I'm currently getting HSPA+ in my area (which AT&T and T-Mobile like t call 4G). 12 Mbps down, 7 Mbps up. LTE pops up from time to time as well depending on where I'm at.

It's not true that you can't get 4G speeds from a Verizon device on a US GSM network. What data speeds you're able to get depend entirely on what GSM and LTE bands are supported by the Verizon device you have (it can differ from device to device) and on having the appropriate APN settings.
Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014), iPad Mini

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: Note 8, Nexus 7, TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, TF101, Thrive, gTablet