Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 42,349 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

JakeDHS07 and Ohmster's CyanogenMod Q&A Thread

Tip us?

juzerali
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Why is video performance bad in Kitkat based roms? is there a way to fix it?

My HD movies played flawlessly on the stock 4.1.2 ROM, but ever since upgrading to 4.4, some of the MKV files lag using the hardware decoder in MX Player.

Any tips?

Thanks!

davidjumani
Old
Thanks Meter 66

DONATE TO ME
Hey guys, I just wanted to thank you for creating and maintaining this awesome rom. Its really cool and I've used it as a base to port other roms to the razr Without you guys nothing would have been possible
Thanks for everything guys and keep up the amazing work

IkerW
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hello,

I hope someone could help me with my problem. I installed the lastest milestone M8 for in motorola XT910 (umts_spyder) and I can't get internet connection over 3G. My network operator is Euskaltel which is a MVNO from Orange and I always get Orange bars. I recognises thats EUSKALTEL, but I have no Internet connection.

When I boot on the stock rom (ICS 4.0.4) I put the following values in the APN settings and the work perfectly:

Name
Euskaltel Internet

Apn
internet.euskaltel.mobi

Username
CLIENTE

Password
EUSKALTEL

MCC

MNC

Authentication Type
PAP

APN type

APN Protocol
IPv4

Conection Type
Not specified

And the rest of the values I live them as default.

And this configuration works.

I made a clean install of the cyanogenmod 11 M8 with safestrap. I put the values above and didn't in the APN setting and I never got Internet connection. It says EUSKALTEL and I got orange bars. No Internet connection.

I read the where problems loosing signal and so on, and to correct that was supposed to delete CellBroadcastReceiver.apk from the installation package and flash it again. I did it and it didn't work either.

I read in this thread how to backup and restore APNs from the stock rom and I restored them to cyanogenmod. It didn't worked. The restore was succesfull it takes, the apns configured in the stock rom but it doesn't backup all the values correctly either (authtype for example was missing).

Looking for the values for EUSKALTEL in google, I found the following values for the apns-conf.xml:

<apn carrier="Euskaltel Internet"
mcc="214"
mnc="03"
apn="internet.euskaltel.mobi"
user="CLIENTE"
password="EUSKALTEL"
authtype="1"
type="default,supl"
mvno_type="imsi"
mvno_match_data="2140359"
/>
<apn carrier="Euskaltel MMS"
mcc="214"
mnc="03"
apn="euskaltelmms.euskaltel.mobi"
user="MMS"
password="EUSKALTEL"
authtype="1"
mmsc="mms.euskaltel.mobi"
mmsproxy="172.16.18.74"
mmsport="8080"
type="mms"
mvno_type="imsi"
mvno_match_data="2140359"
/>

So I tried to put those values manally in the APN settings y mvno_type and mvno_match_data fields. I reebooted and it doesn't work either...

I have no clues of what I'm doing wrong... Any clues? How do I get traces of the exception that is giving? Maybe that would through a little light to the problem...

Thanks in advance for help.

IkerW

BakemonoImo
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default USSD Code not responding.

Hey everyone. Before I begin, I'd like to thank anyone who reads this post in advance, mainly because someone might be able to eventually help me. I've been a droid user for some time, and I do grasp the concepts of rooting and like fairly well..

My problem is that I recently got the Verizon XT912, and I flashed the CM11-M7 for spyder. After a week of debugging, editing the build.prop file and getting my phone stuck in a bootloop a few times, I still haven't been able to make the USSD Code run more than a few times. Codes like *124# or *200*9# etc.

I tried the patch found here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2394689

I'd appreciate any help you can give me.

Current Config is CM11-M8, Rooted, SS 6.35. I've even attached my build.prop if that would help anyone.
Attached Files
File Type: zip build - copy.zip - [Click for QR Code] (4.2 KB, 0 views)

lovetatfitties
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Hey @Ohmster and @JakeDHS07 I have a couple of questions that maybe your experience (and long answers) can resolve:

1.- Have you ever tried something like [SCRIPTS][MOD] PROJ£CT MOD BOOST Nitro X.2 ?? OP assures that "This engine improves performance and battery saving." and the requirements/features are:

Quote:
FEATURES :

Less battery consumption
Improved management of the RAM
Graphics Enhancement
Network improvements
Sqlite optimization
Improved build.prop
Optimized overall performance
Zipalignage self at every boot
AdBlocking Blocks Malware Spyware Bloatware
Entropy engine
Works on any devices with any rom,
and more...

REQUIREMENTS :

- Rooted phone
- Android ICS/JB/KK
- Kernel/ROM with init.d support
- 5mb free in system
- Custom recovery
- Busybox https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ricson.busybox
- Universal init.d https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...iversal.init.d

2.- What advantages/disadvantages has something like this over of lets say, dtrail's kernel?? (leaving behind the fact that dtrail's kernel is optimized for our RAZRs and that this MOD is for every android out there)

3.- If you see any advantages using this MOD, do you think that's "ok" using it alongside dtrail's kernel?

4.-How about AC!D Audio Engine and Viper4Android?? Do yo think it's worth the hassle?? Some guys swear by it but I don't know..

Thank you for your time guys, really appreciate it!

Ohmster
Old
Thanks Meter 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetatfitties View Post
Hey @Ohmster and @JakeDHS07 I have a couple of questions that maybe your experience (and long answers) can resolve:

1.- Have you ever tried something like [SCRIPTS][MOD] PROJ£CT MOD BOOST Nitro X.2 ?? OP assures that "This engine improves performance and battery saving." and the requirements/features are:

2.- What advantages/disadvantages has something like this over of lets say, dtrail's kernel?? (leaving behind the fact that dtrail's kernel is optimized for our RAZRs and that this MOD is for every android out there)

3.- If you see any advantages using this MOD, do you think that's "ok" using it alongside dtrail's kernel?

4.-How about AC!D Audio Engine and Viper4Android?? Do yo think it's worth the hassle?? Some guys swear by it but I don't know..

Thank you for your time guys, really appreciate it!

Well, I am glad you like long answers because I cannot give you a good answer in a few entrances on this one.

Oh boy! I have been distant, too many home issues to deal with and I do not have the time that I once had to put into my phone. Ultimately, I want a phone that is fast, works good, everything works, and "touch screen to app ready" time is very short. We had performance like that. I always had CM10 on my phone and followed the OTA updates until they would go to next version, then clean install and keep trucking, until, (and I almost missed this.) the OTA said the next update would be CM11.

Wow, I knew better than to try and OTA a total new version, CM11 would have to be a clean install and would require some investigation and prep work so I landed in the main thread. So, I installed CM11 plus the patches for WiFi and camera, and gapps and it worked, really well, and the phone was really fast again. More CM11 updates and finally, no more patches or anything, CM11 could stand on it's own 2 feet. OTA works quite well.

The Android apps were becoming exponentially unruly. Instead of apps opening to serve the user and then exiting gracefully to return system resources, they were now finding reasons to run all the time, creating terrible memory issues. Facebook now runs all the time with it's companion messenger program. Many apps and games do not have Exit or Quit buttons. You could go back to the Home screen but you could not stop the app. If you killed the app in a task killer, it would re-spawn immediately. Play "Let's Golf 3", a free, gorgeous high res graphic game, and it never quits and uses memory forever! Same thing for 7 Slots, and other games. Regular apps like picture viewers are now "media suites" that do everything imaginable to a picture, eat all the memory, and find reasons to keep themselves running.

Kit Kat helped to curb this abhorrent app behavior under control. But CM11 is not "Stable" yet. It has bugs that continuously get fixed and improved, more bugs get introduced. People started experimenting with custom kernels like JBX. Yes, these kenels do give improved performance, at a cost. Battery saving means a cutback on performance and power. Overclocking to 1.3 MHz is a nice boost, but it runs the battery down fast. Using the governors are equally tricky. I had the phone OC'ed to 1.3 MHz and the phone was fast, trying to get more performance by moving the governor to "Performance" made the phone a rocket. That would scream on the benchmarks and would lockup the desktop, reboot the phone, or just lock up the phone totally. Then, anytime you update CM11, and there were/are many updates, would require you to reinstall the JBX kernel again. All of this on top of the unstable nature of CM11 was too much to manage. I want a good phone that works for me, I do not want to become a slave to my own phone. I stopped with the custom kernels. CM11 became updating the OS, for me by OTA, or just CM11 and gapps to go clean.

Some guys like Jake eat, sleep, and breath technology. Jake does install and use the JBX kernel and he is very happy with it. He is also very experienced and has a good idea of what settings go together and what not to mix. He puts a lot of time and work into running and maintaining that JBX kernel, I do not have that kind of time.

I am very good at watching the main thread for build install reports and I look to see if they are good. People will install the new build, report anything good or bad they find, and then post in a day or two if there is really something wrong. All of the builds for over the past month have been garbage. Lockups, APN loss, signal loss, screen lags to wake up, rebooting, black screens. In over a month, there has been nothing to update to but bad roms. I tried some myself, Early July, July 15th, and these were horrible roms, only a good backup saved my phone. There still are no good downloads.

I have been doing computers for decades and anything related like phones. There have been all sorts of "fix my PC" downloads over the years. All of them promise to "fix everything wrong with your PC and give you speed like you never had before." Clean out dead programs, clean out all the hundreds or thousands of lines in the registry that are dead, wrong, or outdated. Free up memory and give you lot's of free memory. Clean out system library files, old system files, update your current ones, clean your hard drive, defrag it, and give you lots of hard drive speed.

These are all outlandish claims that are not possible with any sort of generic software. Not even paid for commercial software can cure all of your problems. A good antivirus scanner can clean up your computer, but this is only the viruses on the computer, not the files that were damaged by the virus and have to be deleted or are no longer functional. For that, one would need the correct version Windows (Win7 SP-1) disc to scan all system files and replace damaged or missing files. So the one step cure all software does not really live up to it's claim. Worse, many of these "clean up my PC" programs will give false reports of "3,241" viruses, click now to fix all. This report is a lie, you do not have thousands of viruses or maybe none at all. Even worse, some of these programs will jack up your computer, then insist you send $49.95 for the full version to actually fix your PC. Or they do introduce viruses. All bad news.

No, I do not believe that an XDA developer is creating any magic or scamming phone fix programs so exactly what is this [MOD] PROJ£CT MOD BOOST Nitro X.2 Edition? It appears to be a collection of scripts that doe functions that the OS will do anyway. Why do we need scripts to run this stuff then?

Zipalign at every boot. - We have zipalign in SafeStrap that we can do anytime we like. I have never done it and do not have issues with the phone. Seems to be like defragging the hard drive. Since Windows 7, Windows does a great job with keeping hard drive fragmentation minimal. Even if you do it manually, there is very little, if anything to defrag.

Less battery consumption
Improved management of the RAM
Graphics Enhancement

That is like an oxymoron. Less battery and Graphics Enhancement. Reduction in battery usage means everything is cut to battery saving. That means no top performance in anything. Graphics, CPU speed, more sleeping, everything drops down a notch. Running battery saving mode is not bad but this turns off WiFi and GPS until necessary. Run the CPU at less than full speed to save power.

And there is a bunch of other things included in this script.

AdBlocking Blocks Malware Spyware Bloatware
Entropy engine
Network improvements
Sqlite optimization
Improved build.prop
Optimized overall performance

Many of these are extremely vague improvements. Difficult to know what these improvements "are", let alone if there is any measurable improvement and if that is an overall positive thing. "Entropy engine". The link for the play store app to test for entropic issues is dead. The script had no user interface to see if it is working or to change settings. To work with this mod, one must open a terminal window as root and enter commands manually, for everything. All these features and functions must be entered manually in a terminal window and how does one remember these commands?

BOOSTER
CHECKING
UNINSTALL
DASHBOARD
VARIOUS

You might want to play with it and if you do, I suggest you make a SafeStrap backup of the working system you have prior to installing this script and reverting back to this backup if you find that this script is not living up to it's name or is too difficult to manage. Remember, if you install this then expect to see noticeable changes that are improvements, not you having to work this thing very hard to see some "insignificant improvement". To me, this is just another "Fix my PC" app that reports or creates problems that were not there, and then tries to convince you that installing it was the luckiest day of you life. The script is generic and not made to deal specifically with a razr phone. It is spread too thin.

This is another "Ronco kitchen appliance" that does not exist until Ron Popeil decides that you need one. And if you act now, we will send you not one, but TWO pocket fisherman. LOL!

Ron Popeil was an amazing man. One could spend their entire lives without Ronco and their products. Or you could buy the kitchen knives, the rotisserie, the hair in a spray can, the chop-o-matic, the food dehydrator, the 20 Pc. knife set, the Inside-the-Shell Egg Scrambler, the The Cap Snaffler, and any number of "cannot be without it" products. Or, just do without them.

This script seems to be a "one app solves everything" app or script. Such things in my experience never work, or at least not as well as the specific softwares designed to address these issues. I will pass on it, I am trying to get a good, working, simple and easy to use phone. I stopped using JBX because it added another layer of complexity to an already unstable OS. When signal drops, screen blacks out or is to slow to light that I miss incoming calls, where do I begin to look? JBX, other areas of the CM11? It just becomes more difficult, not to mention it must always be reinstalled after a CM11 update. I just keep the CKM11 install as simple as possible to troubleshoot and run optimized and CM11 has not been very stable lately. It has not been stable enough to install and use of over 1 month. I cannot throw experimental scripts on top of something that is already broken and expect good results. And I do not believe that "one script fixes all" claims of the mod you ask about.

That is my opinion and the results of decades of experience. I do not install add-ons to my phone unless they are for a specific purpose and really do what they claim to do. I will pass on the script, there are 8 pages on the script and problem reports that are being addressed, and more problems. If this script did all it claimed to without introducing more problems, it's use would be widespread and this simply is not so. Try it. Make your backup first, install it, and see if it is really "all that and a bag of chips" or if you find for the most part, you are getting no benefits from it and it requires more work on your end of the deal. Then revert to your backup and be done with it. Or, report all of these benefits for others to read and follow up on.
~Ohmster

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 WiFi, GT-P5113, rooted on CM11 4.4.3
Motorola Droid Razr Maxx rooted, Verizon XT912, VZW Blur ROM, 4.1.
dual boot to CM11 ROM 4.4.3
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohmster For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brkahughes
Old
Thanks Meter 87
@Ohmster Come on, I'll bet you had some Ktel vinyl in your collection at one time
The thing that never ceases to amaze me is the variability of the user experience: I ran 7/13 and was perfectly happy until I decided I had to try out CMhome, and updated to 7/19. I've had no lag problems and minimal orange icons on either build, and have been very pleased. As usual, all my updates have been OTA over existing cumulative updates... Just lucky in the combination of apps I use, I guess. Motte often than not, I think it's something not playing well in the background that interferes with a build. You never have orange bars, some people never have lag and those with reboot problems seem to have overheating/software issues as well! Unless we all have the same model/build/apps installed, we're all going to have individual experiences. That being said, I haven't seen trouble with the July builds myself. I thought we were approaching maturity...

-Brian

Sent from my continually born again RAZR MAXX!

JakeDHS07
Old
(Last edited by JakeDHS07; Yesterday at 02:04 AM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 462
Hello everyone. You don't know me but my name is Brian. I've been a friend of Shaun's known here as JakeDHS07 for many years. He's been apart of this community and working with the CM ROM for years. I come here regretfully to inform all of you that Shaun has passed away and is no longer with us. I want you all to know that he spoke very highly of his work here and all the people he associated with. I am currently trying to decide what to do with his old account as I do not have a XDA of my own and am looking to help out in his stead. He was a good man and sadly taken from us far too soon. He was only 25. Here's to you Shaun. Anyone is welcome to post any messages they would like and I will be sure to forward them to his family. I'm sure they would love to see how much their son was appreciated. Thank you for your time.

DROID RAZR MAXX CM 11 JBX KERNEL
The Following User Says Thank You to JakeDHS07 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

brkahughes
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Brian, I am so saddened to hear of the loss of your friend! Please express my condolences to his family and other friends. I am known on several other boards as Parson (the name was already taken on xda), and am a Christian minister. I do not know what, if any, faith Shaun's family embrace, but please let them know that I will be praying for their peace in this time.

Shaun will be remembered here not merely for his knowledge and presence, but also for his determination to help as many people as he could; and doing that without hogging the honors or lording it over those who knew less! He always welcomed contributions from others and encouraged a civil thread: not always an easy task. He will be remembered as the man who "made it work", and didn't keep secrets in order to look smarter, or put down those who asked questions. We will miss him.

God bless and be with you all.

-Brian

Sent from my continually born again RAZR MAXX!
The Following User Says Thank You to brkahughes For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ohmster
Old
Thanks Meter 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeDHS07 View Post
Hello everyone. You don't know me but my name is Brian. I've been a friend of Shaun's known here as JakeDHS07 for many years. He's been apart of this community and working with the CM ROM for years. I come here regretfully to inform all of you that Shaun has passed away and is no longer with us. I want you all to know that he spoke very highly of his work here and all the people he associated with. I am currently trying to decide what to do with his old account as I do not have a XDA of my own and am looking to help out in his stead. He was a good man and sadly taken from us far too soon. He was only 25. Here's to you Shaun. Anyone is welcome to post any messages they would like and I will be sure to forward them to his family. I'm sure they would love to see how much their son was appreciated. Thank you for your time.

DROID RAZR MAXX CM 11 JBX KERNEL
I have orange bars, just not APN issues. My issue with July builds are screen lagging. Takes seconds to wake the screen after pressing power. This is irritating and causes me to miss incoming calls. It is not just me, others with APN, signal, and blackscreen are experiencing similar issues.

Out of respect for Shaun (JakeHDS07), I will not get into it here. It is time to pay our respects to Shaun and all the good work he has done. I was notified of this earlier today and was waiting for the formal announcement to recognize it here. I know the story and it is very sad. I was a very good, personal friend of Shaun and I really am sad, and pretty messed up that this had to happen.

Goodnight Brian.
~Ohmster

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 WiFi, GT-P5113, rooted on CM11 4.4.3
Motorola Droid Razr Maxx rooted, Verizon XT912, VZW Blur ROM, 4.1.
dual boot to CM11 ROM 4.4.3