Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,384 Members 43,887 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can't boot into Recovery, Bootloader, Download, or Fastboot! Why?

Tip us?

ibub
Old
(Last edited by ibub; 20th July 2014 at 08:36 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1322
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevotdo View Post
I built a 56k/130k/910k Factory cable yesterday for one of my Fuels that's in bootloop. I tried the key presses shown in the bootloader image but no dice. Any suggestions that you can think of. I tried getting it into any of the other modes but nothing works. I've got firmware for the verizon variant and I was going to try and flash it to the phone.
When flashing firmware to my previous LG p500, I didn't need a special cable. As I recall, the LG update tool was able to put the phone into download mode. But the drivers need to be installed to computer first. To use KDZ, I think I had to hold key combinations for the p500, but not power button, while plugging into computer. This would set download mode. But with this phone...I'm stumped.
Edit:
What is the function of this cable?

Sent from my LGL34C using XDA Free mobile app

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxinburn View Post
Hey yackaroo I have recovered mine from softbrick a couple times now, i can try to help you out but first of all your gonna need to get linux on your comp, thats the only way I know to help you.
Please document any successful methods here on the thread, for the benefit of everyone here. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of bricks here.

toxinburn
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibub View Post
When flashing firmware to my previous LG p500, I didn't need a special cable. As I recall, the LG update tool was able to put the phone into download mode. But the drivers need to be installed to computer first. To use KDZ, I think I had to hold key combinations for the p500, but not power button, while plugging into computer. This would set download mode. But with this phone...I'm stumped.
Edit:
What is the function of this cable?

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:22 PM ----------

Please document any successful methods here on the thread, for the benefit of everyone here. I have a feeling that there will be a lot of bricks here.

Okay so this is actually fairly simple for once, I will cut out all the useless info and only post the stuff relative to the optimus fuel..if you have softbricked your device or maybe your not sure yet, first things first you need to plug it up to the pc in windows it will mount the phone like it would a thumbdrive, instead of showing the phone name under my computer it will now show it as a drive open that up and you will see two folders image and verinfo, if that is the case then you are ready to attempt to un-softbrick it.

The second thing you are going to have to have is a copy of linux installed, I use a dual boot of mint and win 8.1, I tried this on a virtual machine as well and it did not list things properly..so I cannot say whether a vm will work for sure.

So boot into your linux os on pc and plug the phone to usb to pc.

Now open up console

type in ls /dev/sd* -----press enter

This will show you a big list of partitions, whichever partition you see with the highest number for instance sdf32 then take note of it as it is where your device is being detected.

now with the result of the last command you typed from console enter gdisk -l /dev/sdf <----i am using sdf because that is what mine listed, i assume it will be the same, let me know if for some reason it is not, but would probably work anyway press enter and you will get a big list of the partitions, with numbers associated with them it will look something like this below

Number Start (sector) End (sector) Size Code Name
6 229376 231423 1024.0 KiB FFFF aboot

but with many more numbers listed pay attention to those numbers, especiallly to the ones associated with the .img you may have altered to brick your phone in the first place, because you will be wanting to replace those .img with the originals.

So....if you have messed up any of those partition images listed for instance the aboot is listed under sdf6 in the above example then you first need to be root in the console by typing sudo -i and enter your admin pw press enter to run console as root.

now lets fix out aboot with none other than dd commands in the console you enter
dd if=/path/toyour/aboot.img of=/dev/sdf6 and then press enter and it should push the image back.
Once you have pushed all the images back that you need/want then simply hold power button down til the phone reboots and hopefully you see the logo again, i have recovered my own from messing with aboot twice, as far as the other partitions I cannot say as I have not messed with them much, i can say that abootb modifying it does not softbrick or do anything that i can tell, unless i type adb reboot recovery after changing it i get a security error instead of the regular booting right into the os.

so just make sure to use sdf6 instead of most of the time you would use of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/aboot but since it is in bulk mode it changes to /dev/sdf6 and the gdisk -l /dev/sdf will give you the list of them all so you will know which # the img should be associated with hope that helps someone out there, I used the following post to figure all this out on my own for this device, i used all that info just simply modified it to fit my own needs, so if any thanks is given give it there.

Once y

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

Also i found a post that tells you how to get into stock recovery if that helps or not i dunno, but it does work.

the first is a way to run it in a script i had probs with it.

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

cd /cache/recovery

echo "--show_text" >> command

chmod 644 command

reboot recovery

Now This is what I used thru adb and it works, however it doesnt stick for next time i have to enter this again just to get into stock recovery.

Code:
adb shell
su
cd /cache/recovery
chmod 644 command
reboot recovery

this info came from androidarea51.com/lg-ortimus-fuel-lgl-l-35c/all-things-fuel/58/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to toxinburn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ibub
Old
Thanks Meter 1322
I see that /dev/sdf6 for aboot corresponds with/ dev/ block/ mmcblk0p6 that I've used to dd the partition. Thanks for all this. It'll be very useful.

FlyingPoo
Old
(Last edited by FlyingPoo; 21st July 2014 at 01:29 AM.)
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
Quote:

Now This is what I used thru adb and it works, however it doesnt stick for next time i have to enter this again just to get into stock recovery.

Code:
su
cd /cache/recovery
chmod 644 command
reboot recovery
I tried to get this to "stick" by creating a script (ex, recoverytxt.sh) to drop in /etc or /system/etc and even tried /system/bin.

I think my root access has gotten messed up because I cant seem to modify anything in those folders.

Confirmed it DOES work tho to get menu text in recovery.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingPoo For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ibub
Old
Thanks Meter 1322
@FlyingPoo This is a copy of my post at androidarea51
So I copy/pasted that script to a text file, and renamed it as recscript.sh,* fired up terminal emulator and typed su >enter <br />sh /storage/external_ SD/recscript.sh>enter, and yeah, it works like a charm. The easier method, which also works, is to open the text file, select all, and copy/paste it into terminal, after su of course<br/>

sent from my towelrooted LG L34C using tapatalk

toxinburn
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPoo View Post
I tried to get this to "stick" by creating a script (ex, recoverytxt.sh) to drop in /etc or /system/etc and even tried /system/bin.

I think my root access has gotten messed up because I cant seem to modify anything in those folders.

Confirmed it DOES work tho to get menu text in recovery.
Even with root their has been a few files I had to chmod 777 to open but afterwards I could.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

I wanted to ask a question to my fellow fuel owners please get usb drivers and lgmobile support tool and plug in your device mine is shown as LG v-500 with lgl34c software the v500 is the g pad so that's strange but their is a workin cwm and twrp Loki for that and it seems to have same hardware furthermore I have noticed if you soft brick it by messing with the aboot plug it up to pc while it's in bulk mode with lgmobile support tool click options update recovery and enter the imei it starts a download so maybe their is a way to figure out how they sign their files or some other exploit there just thought I'd throw this out there.
The Following User Says Thank You to toxinburn For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ibub
Old
Thanks Meter 1322
So I tried again to make a small flash from external sd using stock recovery. This time I copied update.zip to sdext2 ext4 partition (just to see if it was recognized). Unsuccessful. Tomorrow will try with sd formatted as primary ext4.

sent from my towelrooted LG L34C using tapatalk

yackaro
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
[/COLOR]Also i found a post that tells you how to get into stock recovery if that helps or not i dunno, but it does work.

the first is a way to run it in a script i had probs with it.

Code:
#!/system/bin/sh

cd /cache/recovery

chmod 644 command

reboot recovery

Code:
adb shell
su
cd /cache/recovery
chmod 644 command
reboot recovery

this info came from androidarea51.com/lg-ortimus-fuel-lgl-l-35c/all-things-fuel/58/
so we finally have access to recovery, now we need an image rip of the stock rom..... i didn't quite understand what you were doing with the unbrick thing before the quoted text, don't really have access to my softbricked Fuel right now i'm not currently home and i thought it was useless to take something that doesn't work.... we need to get some kind of flashable rom available so we can unbrick this thing asap when problems occur instead of... well... abandoning use until a solution is found... and my brick has nothing to aboot or the like, i was daring enough to find out that custom boot anim's didn't work....anyone got a backup of the stock boot animation? i could use it if there's a way to get to it on the device without actually having access to the OS... or whatever... end of post cause i'm confusing myself with my own words.