Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,261 Members 51,953 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Finally Ipad smoothness : Onda V975M Quad Core 2.0GHz 9.7 Inch Retina Screen

Tip us?

RASTAVIPER
Old
Thanks Meter 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikc0069 View Post
Got one of these on its way from eBay, apparently already running Rozak rom.

The seller claims it is a v4 which I haven't seen mentioned on this thread. Can any v3 roms be used on the v4?
You can probably check yourself on the back of the tablet if the serial number mentions v3 or v4.
And custom rom for v3 is the same for v4.

Unleashed by my Nexus 4
Phone 1: NEXUS 4 16GB, Rooted, Stock 4.4.4, Hells core b47
Phone 2: HTC DESIRE HD @1.2Ghz Rooted with JellyTime 4.2 R11 1900mah Anker battery
Tablet 1: TABLET v975m 32gb v3: custom 1.10 Rom
Tablet 2: TV BOX CS968, GEASS custom Rom
The Following User Says Thank You to RASTAVIPER For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

DHeffernan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
This tablet it can be rooted and basically runs the same stuff if you'd root lets say a Samsung Galaxy or Asus tablet?

As in android jelly bean, google play store etc?

Scorp84
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeffernan View Post
This tablet it can be rooted and basically runs the same stuff if you'd root lets say a Samsung Galaxy or Asus tablet?

Just don't buy this tablet. Save your money and get a Nexus or LG G Pad. The software on this Tab is horrible. It's really pitty because the screen is awesome. Unfortunately we won't get a good firmware or custom rom.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scorp84 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RASTAVIPER
Old
Thanks Meter 267
Quote:

You can root it and also install custom Recovery or custom roms.
Latest custom Rom is Kitkat with ability of ocing till 2.0ghz.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorp84 View Post
Just don't buy this tablet. Save your money and get a Nexus or LG G Pad. The software on this Tab is horrible. It's really pitty because the screen is awesome. Unfortunately we won't get a good firmware or custom rom.
No reason to compare.
This tablet is not Nexus or LG pad but costs also almost half money.
And yes its a pity that no custom kernel is out there, but still there are many ways to make this tablet much faster.
For example by using this script.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2630242

Unleashed by my Nexus 4
Phone 2: HTC DESIRE HD @1.2Ghz Rooted with JellyTime 4.2 R11 1900mah Anker battery

Scorp84
Old
Thanks Meter 3
You are right you can't compare it with a good tablet. But my advice was to just skip this thing and spent more money for a better one.
I have already rooted and overclocked mine with Trickster Mod but it's still not usable as daily driver. I bought it in first place for reading PDFs at university, but scrolling in large documents is a pain. Now I only use it for watching some YouTube clips or a movie from my Plex server.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 4 mit Tapatalk

DHeffernan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
You are right you can't compare it with a good tablet. But my advice was to just skip this thing and spent more money for a better one.
I have already rooted and overclocked mine with Trickster Mod but it's still not usable as daily driver. I bought it in first place for reading PDFs at university, but scrolling in large documents is a pain. Now I only use it for watching some YouTube clips or a movie from my Plex server.

So whats the issue with it? With the specs it has shouldn't be a problem reading through documents?

I am not following here especially if you can wipe off all the chinese stuff and run just a stock KitKat version.

Scorp84
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I just wanted to help people avoiding to make the same mistake I did. Of course the specs sound impressive but it seems that the software is not well optimized for the hardware. With a good Cyanogenmod Rom this tab could be a killer.

DHeffernan
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I just wanted to help people avoiding to make the same mistake I did. Of course the specs sound impressive but it seems that the software is not well optimized for the hardware. With a good Cyanogenmod Rom this tab could be a killer.

So then what custom rom does this unit run as the above poster stated?

RASTAVIPER
Old
Thanks Meter 267
Quote:
So then what custom rom does this unit run as the above poster stated?
It's not as optimised as a CM, but Rozak's rom is free from bloatware and has some modifications to increase the responsiveness of the tablet.

Here is Kit Kat version:
http://www.ondaforum.com/index.php?/...-(v2.0.1-based)

Unleashed from Onda v957m on TDT

nikc0069
Old
Thanks Meter 61
The problem with this tablet is mainly the battery drain (it doesn't deep sleep) and the wifi off when screen is off.

I've found running battery doctor pro and ds battery saver help mitigate battery drain a bit.

Rozak's rom is good but until there is proper source there is no hope of CM11 and AMLogic aren't exactly famous for releasing source. And their own kernel seem to suck hard.

I'm tempted to trade mine in for a Cube Talk 9X, running unmolested android apparently.

Anyone fancy buying an Onda 975M for below retail value?