Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,072 Members 45,218 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Xperia Z1 working with USB DAC :)

Tip us?

ferx1
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Could you please contact me at mendozas@gmail.com?
I need to know how to enable audio USB via Sony DAC in my Z2 ; I work in Sony too
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by XP-Audio View Post
As product owner for USB Audio in the Z2, I would like to explain about our USB support.

In the 2013 mid- and high-end products (Z, ZL, ZR, Tablet Z, Z Ultra, Z1, Z1 Compact) we support USB Audio from the Android Audio framework, which means that all audio is resampled to 48kHz/16 bits, and mixed in with notifications etc. This means that we have "bit-perfect" reproduction only for tracks with this sample rate originally (and such are not very common) and turn off all system sounds and all sound enhancements (and even then, I cannot guarantee that we are 100% bit-perfect).

In Z2 and T2, however, we have introduced a new mode, "High-res audio over USB", where the audio stream is sent directly to USB after unpacking/decoding (actually, when selected, this applies to all audio data, no only high-res, so internally it is called "Direct" mode).

The only exception is if a DAC does not support a particular sample rate, in which case it is sent to the audio framework in the previous manner - for instance, some DAC's which support 96kHz do not support 88.2kHz, strangely enough.

Anyway, in this feature we support 44.1kHz, 48KHz, 88.2kHz, and 96kHz in either 16 or 24bits using USB Audio Class 1, and also 192kHz and 176.4kHz using USB Audio Class 2 in Asynchronous mode. The file formats can be either WAV or FLAC for lossless compression, or MP3 or AAC (which decompresses to either 44.1 or 48kHz at 16bits). I guess other generic Android audio formats should work too but they are not in scope since I have never seen these at download stores.

One caveat with 192 and 176.4kHz files is that the Android downsampler does not handle more than 96kHz, so if you get such files, they will only play in High-res mode to a capable DAC, not in any other circumstances.

In this mode, since we bypass the mixer, ring signals and notifications etc are not passed to the USB DAC. If you want these in headphones connected to a portable DAC, you will need to turn off HigH-res mode and everything will then work as in the 2013 products.

I will be present in this forum for questions and problem reports when these devices are released. Currently we are testing with a limited number of DAC' and I will post a list of these soon.

KBEscalona
Old
Thanks Meter 5
I guess this will work on my Logitech Audio Hub. Thanks.
NOKIA LUMIA 1020

gewgaw
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Hello, thank you for such an insightful post.

I wonder though how well does the XZ1 handle the M50s. I have been wanting to purchase a set myself but the audio in my XZ1 is disappointing although I hear it is a general issue, the volume is a little lower than expected.

How does you XZ1 drive the M50s? How does it perform when going through the USB DAC?

Any pictures of your set up would be appreciated as well.

Thanks and let's keep this "underdog" of a phone alive!

raginginferno
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewgaw View Post
Hello, thank you for such an insightful post.

I wonder though how well does the XZ1 handle the M50s. I have been wanting to purchase a set myself but the audio in my XZ1 is disappointing although I hear it is a general issue, the volume is a little lower than expected.

How does you XZ1 drive the M50s? How does it perform when going through the USB DAC?

Any pictures of your set up would be appreciated as well.

Thanks and let's keep this "underdog" of a phone alive!
For me personally it's hard to say now. My original post was way back when the phone first came out. Now I've left stock firmware ages ago and am now running Cyanogenmod. Cyanogenmod has also lost USB DAC support... due to the fact that when the magnetic charge cable is connected, there's no sound at so the FXP team had to disable USB DAC in order for it to work correctly...

So with Cyanogenmod, volume is actually worse than stock. So I had to add this volume boost mod:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2476498
With this mod and Cyanogen, I'd say the Z1 can drive the M50s headphones just fine. The volume boost does help I believe. M50s are not a hard headphone to drive but it's harder than normal earbuds.

How does it sound? Um.... good I guess. It's a phone... not much I can say. I don't even have test it, I know a decent DAC with a portable amp will automatically sound better than the Z1. I've tested back when I was able to and there was just so much for life in the music when you have a nice DAC Amp attached to it.

gewgaw
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by raginginferno View Post
For me personally it's hard to say now. My original post was way back when the phone first came out. Now I've left stock firmware ages ago and am now running Cyanogenmod. Cyanogenmod has also lost USB DAC support... due to the fact that when the magnetic charge cable is connected, there's no sound at so the FXP team had to disable USB DAC in order for it to work correctly...

So with Cyanogenmod, volume is actually worse than stock. So I had to add this volume boost mod:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2476498
With this mod and Cyanogen, I'd say the Z1 can drive the M50s headphones just fine. The volume boost does help I believe. M50s are not a hard headphone to drive but it's harder than normal earbuds.

How does it sound? Um.... good I guess. It's a phone... not much I can say. I don't even have test it, I know a decent DAC with a portable amp will automatically sound better than the Z1. I've tested back when I was able to and there was just so much for life in the music when you have a nice DAC Amp attached to it.
Yeah I see what you mean. I briefly used CM for a little while but it was "too nightly" for my taste so I went back to stock. With the recent Walkman updates it is visually awesome. I can't think of any other better Music Player besides iTunes for iOS. But maybe this is just a personal opinion or taste. Sound quality is O.K. but the volume is still lacking I think. I just recently listened to both a Note 3 and a G3 and man did they kick ass in Volume dept. Don't know why Sony made it so low, waterproofing maybe?

Fiio recently launched the E18 specifically designed for Smartphones. I will give it a try when I get the chance but if only the Visuals of Walkman matched the Volume Level.

thanks!

raginginferno
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by gewgaw View Post
Yeah I see what you mean. I briefly used CM for a little while but it was "too nightly" for my taste so I went back to stock. With the recent Walkman updates it is visually awesome. I can't think of any other better Music Player besides iTunes for iOS. But maybe this is just a personal opinion or taste. Sound quality is O.K. but the volume is still lacking I think. I just recently listened to both a Note 3 and a G3 and man did they kick ass in Volume dept. Don't know why Sony made it so low, waterproofing maybe?

Fiio recently launched the E18 specifically designed for Smartphones. I will give it a try when I get the chance but if only the Visuals of Walkman matched the Volume Level.

thanks!
Well finally Z1 is part of the stable snapshots builds now, so we have more stability. You can get the walkman app back in to cyanogen, search through the forums for that. If you want the walkman widget you have to use the sony launcher as apposed to the cyanogenmod launcher. So FYI is you want to go back to cyanogenmod.

But try the sound mod I mentioned. It only changes a few values in one settings file. No actual major file swaps. It may push the headphones volume to the levels you may actually want. I only picked the "boosted" level, the other "higher" volume choices are way too distorted.