Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,086 Members 54,454 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Steps I took to get KitKat on my New Nook HD+

Tip us?

atisha
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD Dad View Post
I think mine bricked itself this morning. Has been running great and I have charged it twice so far. Plugged in charger this morning and ran errands. Got home and its turned on with the Nook logo screen up. Buttons unresponsive, nothing works. I rebooted holding down n and power to get into recovery - no go. All I get to is the cyanoboot universal bootloader logo and it freezes. I reboot again and I get the nook logo and freeze. Tried to boot from SD card and I get the bootloader logo and freeze.

I dont get it. Ran great up until then. I installed very minimal apps since the flash. Just tried charging and now this. I am out of warranty so its trash if I cant get it going.
Mine reboots every so often. My nook simple touch is able to return to stock if things gets horribly wrong, I wonder why no such measure being built in with cm11.
I heard cm10 is more stable. I'm thinkin of flashing this to avoid what CHD Dad encountered. Should I just download cm10.2 zip file or do I have to start from scratch? Any guide on this? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Free mobile app

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3568

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by atisha View Post
Mine reboots every so often. My nook simple touch is able to return to stock if things gets horribly wrong, I wonder why no such measure being built in with cm11.
I heard cm10 is more stable. I'm thinkin of flashing this to avoid what CHD Dad encountered. Should I just download cm10.2 zip file or do I have to start from scratch? Any guide on this? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using XDA Free mobile app
The Nook HD/HD+ does have the same ability to repair itself if things go wrong. But that capability is defeated if the user replaces the stock recovery with either CWM or TWRP.

And CM10.1.3 does have a better reputation of not bricking your device. Even better than CM10.2.

Go to the dummies guide for installing CM10.1 linked in my signature. Wipe your device with CWM and follow the guide.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
See my Nook Color Tips Thread here,
and my Nook Color EMMC Partition Repair Thread here,
and my Nook Color Updated CM SD Installation Instructions here,
and my Nook HD/HD+ stock tips thread here
and my Nook HD/HD+ CWM Root Tools thread here
e.mote's Nook HD/HD+ Dummies Guide for installing CM10.1/CM10.2/CM11 here
The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

atisha
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
The Nook HD/HD+ does have the same ability to repair itself if things go wrong. But that capability is defeated if the user replaces the stock recovery with either CWM or TWRP.
My nook simple touch is rooted as well but I was able to do factory restore should things go wrong. Just thought this should also built in on rooted nook hd. But maybe nook hd is far bigger factory restore file to keep than nook simple.

leapinlar
Old
(Last edited by leapinlar; 23rd July 2014 at 07:47 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3568

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
My nook simple touch is rooted as well but I was able to do factory restore should things go wrong. Just thought this should also built in on rooted nook hd. But maybe nook hd is far bigger factory restore file to keep than nook simple.
It is not the rooting or installing CM that destroys the ability of the HD/HD+ to repair itself, it is replacing stock internal recovery with internal CWM or TWRP that does it. If you skip that step in installing CM11, the self repair ability is still intact. If you have already done it I have a zip in my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature that allows stock recovery to be put back. See item 5. But be warned, it needs to be flashed with an older CWM version.

The Following User Says Thank You to leapinlar For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

atisha
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Can I flash cwm10.1 with the same recovery as that used to flash cwm11?

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leapinlar View Post
It is not the rooting or installing CM that destroys the ability of the HD/HD+ to repair itself, it is replacing stock internal recovery with internal CWM or TWRP that does it. If you skip that step in installing CM11, the self repair ability is still intact. If you have already done it I have a zip in my HD/HD+ CWM thread linked in my signature that allows stock recovery to be put back. See item 5. But be warned, it needs to be flashed with an older CWM version.
Rereading your post, does it mean if I flash back stock Rom, don't do factory wipe before installing cm10.1.3, I'd be able to restore to factory setting by pressing the eight times Home power button?

leapinlar
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3568

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Can I flash cwm10.1 with the same recovery as that used to flash cwm11?

---------- Post added at 02:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 AM ----------

Rereading your post, does it mean if I flash back stock Rom, don't do factory wipe before installing cm10.1.3, I'd be able to restore to factory setting by pressing the eight times Home power button?
No that is not what I am saying. Restoring your stock backup is not enough. You must actually flash the stock recovery zip in my thread I referenced above. And I did not say anything about not factory wiping when you install CM10.1.3. I said do not flash the internal CWM recovery (one of the three files used as part of the installation). Then if you interrupt the boot 8 times in a row by hard powering off (hold the power off button until it turns off, 8 times in a row), it will reset itself to pure stock like it came out of the box.

And you cannot use the same CWM to flash CM10.1.3 that you used for CM11. If you want to know how to install CM10.1.3 follow the dummies guide linked in my signature. And in fact you cannot flash that stock recovery zip with the CM11 CWM either.