Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

A question about upgrading stock rom on a rooted phone.

OP Astralogic

23rd June 2014, 11:05 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

84 posts
Hi, If I have a rooted phone, how do I update the rom? I have the stock rom. I guess you have to download the update and install it like you would any rom, but would this format my phone?
23rd June 2014, 01:20 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 19

55 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astralogic

Hi, If I have a rooted phone, how do I update the rom? I have the stock rom. I guess you have to download the update and install it like you would any rom, but would this format my phone?

If you have a rooted stock rom, you will be able to receive update notifications from Sony and you can update using the offical methods.
However, the update will install the new stock rom without root, as this is not supported by the manufacturer.

There are some tricks to maintain root during an update, but there is no guarantee it will work.
(search xda forums)

FYI, for the current 4.3 stock release for V and T, there is a "one-click" root method.
Check this .

The Following User Says Thank You to arturiu For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd June 2014, 01:31 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

84 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arturiu

If you have a rooted stock rom, you will be able to receive update notifications from Sony and you can update using the offical methods.
However, the update will install the new stock rom without root, as this is not supported by the manufacturer.

There are some tricks to maintain root during an update, but there is no guarantee it will work.
(search xda forums)

FYI, for the current 4.3 stock release for V and T, there is a "one-click" root method.
Check this .

I can't update whilst rooted, the update fails to install. I would need to unroot before updating via the official method.
23rd June 2014, 01:36 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 19

55 posts
Quote:

I can't update whilst rooted, the update fails to install. I would need to unroot before updating via the official method.

SuperSU has an option to remove root from your rom.
You can try that and see if the rom update works.
24th July 2014, 09:09 AM   |  #5  

21 posts
updating rooted phone
Quote:

sir
get any required stock ftf files from xda link and flash that on flash tool to your rooted phone
there must be no problem.try
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread