Need help unrooting M8

Search This thread

CavyS

Jul 1, 2013
So I have read multiple articles on how to unroot and have tried 2 of them with no avail. Can anyone explain to me or point me in the right direction on to a "How to unroot for dummies" or something!? I tried getting a nandroid backup and putting in in TWRP/backups/ but for some reason when I boot into recovery and select "Internal Storage" it doesnt show anything! Then I tried to flash the stock recovery from the toolkit and I get an error. Any help would be appreciated.

scott500

Aug 26, 2007
Cape Cod, MA
So I have read multiple articles on how to unroot and have tried 2 of them with no avail. Can anyone explain to me or point me in the right direction on to a "How to unroot for dummies" or something!? I tried getting a nandroid backup and putting in in TWRP/backups/ but for some reason when I boot into recovery and select "Internal Storage" it doesnt show anything! Then I tried to flash the stock recovery from the toolkit and I get an error. Any help would be appreciated.

There is a step by step guide to do this under the General section of this forum.

Here is a link...

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2751011

Reactions: CavyS

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
I would ask why you want to unroot? Unless you are selling/trading the device, its my opinion that once you are rooted, there are few other valid reasons to go back.

CavyS

Jul 1, 2013
There is a step by step guide to do this under the General section of this forum.

Here is a link...

Yeah that might as well have been written in Arabic. I think that might be one of the methods I tried though?.. Except when I put the Nandroid backup in TWRP/backups then rebooted my phone into recovery the backup wasnt showing in there no matter what I did, and the other way just got an error.

CavyS

Jul 1, 2013
I would ask why you want to unroot? Unless you are selling/trading the device, its my opinion that once you are rooted, there are few other valid reasons to go back.

I want to unroot to get the OTA update. And I'm sure I could probably flash the new update or whatever, but I would rather just get the OTA. Just my OCD I guess?..

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I want to unroot to get the OTA update. And I'm sure I could probably flash the new update or whatever, but I would rather just get the OTA. Just my OCD I guess?..

I can never ever understand folks that root, than want OTA. As you suggested, the ROM is already available (stock rooted) in a custom recovery-flashable form, supplied graciously just days after the OTA started rolling out. And if you are referring to an upcoming OTA, the same will probably be true; or it will be available earlier for the international version (and isn't that one of the reasons we root?).

If you want the firmware package that came with the OTA, that is available to flash on modded phones, as well.

CavyS

Jul 1, 2013
I can never ever understand folks that root, than want OTA. As you suggested, the ROM is already available (stock rooted) in a custom recovery-flashable form, supplied graciously just days after the OTA started rolling out. And if you are referring to an upcoming OTA, the same will probably be true; or it will be available earlier for the international version (and isn't that one of the reasons we root?).

If you want the firmware package that came with the OTA, that is available to flash on modded phones, as well.

Lol I know, idk why I have to have to OTA either. Its just an OCD thing. I think its because I know that what I'm getting from OTA is clean and is a 100% working squeaky clean release by Android. Opposed to a ROM that someones put together themselves. I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the ROM or that there is any kind of malware or viruses in it. But its just an OCD thing were I would never stop thinking about it. And first thing my phone crashes or runs into a bug regardless of the problem I would blame it on the ROM. Lol now I sound like a sociopath

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
now I sound like a sociopath

Haha, not really.

If a clean, bugfree OS is what you crave, than I would actually strongly disagree with the notion that an OTA is the way to do that. OTA is often a mess, as it only updates some things, and not other (not a complete image) and also keeps user data; which if you will see from any forum thread (here or other places) about bugs after OTAs, keeping user data is often the cause of many issues.

Factory reset plus OTA is one way around this. But if you really are OCD about a "clean" stock install, I would run the RUU. Either get S-off, or relock bootloader beforehand; and backup user data as this will be wiped. RUU is a complete factory released image.

CavyS

Jul 1, 2013
Haha, not really.

If a clean, bugfree OS is what you crave, than I would actually strongly disagree with the notion that an OTA is the way to do that. OTA is often a mess, as it only updates some things, and not other (not a complete image) and also keeps user data; which if you will see from any forum thread (here or other places) about bugs after OTAs, keeping user data is often the cause of many issues.

Factory reset plus OTA is one way around this. But if you really are OCD about a "clean" stock install, I would run the RUU. Either get S-off, or relock bootloader beforehand; and backup user data as this will be wiped. RUU is a complete factory released image.

Quick question. I put the Nandroid backup in the TWRP/backups/ folder. It doesnt show up in "Restore" but it shows up in "Install" in TWRP Recovery. When I click on it in "Install" it asks me "Swipe to Confirm Flash" Is it okay to flash Nandroid backup from the "Install" location or does it have to be done through "Restore"?

twiggums

Oct 6, 2007

I unrooted ?. Main reason for me was to use ISIS and be able to play a game me and some buddies play. I had root and ISIS didn't like it, so grabbed rootcloak but game disliked xposed

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

CavyS

Jul 1, 2013
I unrooted ?. Main reason for me was to use ISIS and be able to play a game me and some buddies play. I had root and ISIS didn't like it, so grabbed rootcloak but game disliked xposed

Yeah I just updated with RUU, I'll re-root again once 4.4.4 gets pushed out.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Here is a link...

now I sound like a sociopath

Haha, not really.