Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,200 Members 40,833 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

New firmware update for aftv!!

Tip us?

~Craig~
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Ok so I am on the the firmware prior to this with elmerohueso launcher installed and updates blocked,

If I want to update do I just unblock the updates or should I also disable the custom xbmc launcher first?
I assume I would do this by disabling rbox's Xposed module?

Thanks

Spykez0129
Old
Thanks Meter 6
I don't even see the need to block any updates. I got 1 that unrooted me, just ran towel root again and I was back in the game.

mastafunk
Old
Thanks Meter 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykez0129 View Post
I don't even see the need to block any updates. I got 1 that unrooted me, just ran towel root again and I was back in the game.
You will see the need when an update blocks towelroot from rooting..
The Following User Says Thank You to mastafunk For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dbdoshi
Old
Thanks Meter 0
LOL, good advice! I personally think that FTV will shut down root before they shut down the ability to side load, because thats the only way that legitimate developers can develop, debug and push them to FTV and Amazon is not about to kill that. XBMC is a much lesser threat than root file access in ES app or using USB storage with FTV.

ILLESTNOIZE
Old
(Last edited by ILLESTNOIZE; 24th July 2014 at 05:24 PM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Wink New Fire TV update improves XBMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbdoshi View Post
LOL, good advice! I personally think that FTV will shut down root before they shut down the ability to side load, because thats the only way that legitimate developers can develop, debug and push them to FTV and Amazon is not about to kill that. XBMC is a much lesser threat than root file access in ES app or using USB storage with FTV.
Hi,

I was able to update to the "official" Amazon update and I do have to say I have noticed improvements with XBMC. Seems to be faster not laggy when scrolling and looking through content with Fire tv remote. Maybe the remote update goes very well with the official update of the Fire TV. As far as streaming I havent seen any buffering yet. However this is all dependent on your internet speed and the source of the content. 9 times out of 10 it is the source. I will continue to test and report back. Two things I did want to share with the community...

First...

You can install any APK from any source including Drop box and other android markets. You can even install from a website when surfing.
There is a tweak that needs to be performed with one of the "bueller" system apks with assistance from the Settings.apk that can be installed which would allow you to check the "unknown sources" box and with the above mentioned tweak you can install any apk.

Secondly...
I am still experiencing blank screen and green artifacts at top of the screen while in the middle of watching a movie. This typically happens after the first few minutes or so. I have noticed the majority of the time the source is Moviereel. Other than that Im using Elmers XBMC launcher and it works great!! Hoping for a better XBMC apk which would eliminate the blank screen and green artifacts (this does happen all the time with every link). I would also like one that allows us to stream large Remux/DTS HD audio files from UPNP. I belive VIDON who is a supporter of XBMC is working on such a XBMC apk Vidon XBMC for Fire tv. Coming soon also for Android TV. Be on the look out!