Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,603 Members 41,356 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Fix][N9005][ExtSdCard Write Issue][Kitkat 4.4.2][NA6] - Rooted

Tip us?

garcianacho
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Smile Works perfectly

Thanks mateenf, your hack works perfectly on a SM-P905 spanish version. I can now write the microSD from any application (including AirDroid, and windows explorer).
After a long search, and many people who talk but have no idea, glad to find a simple, quick and effective solution. Thanks and congratulations!

didimas
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have some big xls files in the sd card. I can edit them from my android but not from the windows pc witch is much more convenience.
They are "only for read" from windows. Can I change the permissions of the files so "others" can edit them? if so, how?

AlsoI have done the fix for the sd and some apps can see my sd and some othes don't.

Michele31415
Old
(Last edited by Michele31415; 21st July 2014 at 07:01 AM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Well after spending all weekend figuring out how to get it to root, now I'm up against this extSdCard nonsense. I did the platform.xml edit from the OP and rebooted. Now the phone goes through the Samsung boot logo and then hangs on the Verizon logo with the blue LED on. And it's hung hard - it takes a battery pull to turn it off. I tried booting again (twice), same thing.

For the record, Verizon Note 3, N900VVRUCNC4, OS 4.4.2, rooted with TowelRoot, 64 GB Samsung micro-SD card in the slot.

I've already tried removing the SD card and rebooting - didn't help, and a factory reset - didn't help.

Can someone help me get out of this jam, pretty-please? I'm getting ready to run this phone down the garbage disposer.
This is my Note 3. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

andrewilley
Old
Thanks Meter 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele31415 View Post
Well after spending all weekend figuring out how to get it to root, now I'm up against this extSdCard nonsense. I did the platform.xml edit from the OP and rebooted. Now the phone goes through the Samsung boot logo and then hangs on the Verizon logo with the blue LED on. And it's hung hard - it takes a battery pull to turn it off. I tried booting again (twice), same thing.
Sounds like you've messed up that file somehow. I assume you made a backup before making any changes? If you did a full Nandroid backup, just try resorting that from Recovery. If just a file backup, can you get as far as getting adb file access (for root files) and put the original file back into place?

Andre
Current Phone: Samsung Galaxy Note 3, 32GB (Stock ROM/kernel; rooted ; Nova Launcher) 64GB SDHC card
Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, Wi-Fi, 32GB (Infamous AOKP JB 4.2.2 ROM; Nova Launcher)

Previous:
Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB; 32GB SD card
HTC Desire Z 16MB SD card
T-Mobile MDA Vario III 8GB Sandisk SD card
T-Mobile MDA Vario

Michele31415
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Yeah, something's messed up, that's for sure. I did back up the original platform.xml file but I don't have a nandroid backup. I had barely finished getting root before running into this problem so even if I have to reflash the stock ROM, I'm not losing any important data (aside from the time I'm wasting on this thing). But you have an excellent idea of trying ADB - I hadn't thought of that. I'll let you know how that works. Thanks.

If I can't get the extSdCard to be writable, the phone's going back. I have a bunch of very large databases and I was running short of space on my Note 2. They won't all fit on the Note 3's internal storage.

Michele31415
Old
(Last edited by Michele31415; 22nd July 2014 at 07:08 PM.) Reason: Added solution.
Thanks Meter 1
Nope - ADB didn't work. ALthough the PC gave the USB connected ding sound when I plugged in the phone, "adb remount" returns "device not found" and "ad shell" just hangs without returning a prompt.

So it looks like we're back to square one. Time to Odin the stock ROM ... again. Grrr.

UPDATE

Reflashed the stock NC4 and that worked. But when the phone booted, I started getting all these odd errors like "NFL Mobile has stopped", "Google Services has stopped", and on and on - in fact all the bloatware apps I'd frozen earlier. When that finally ended I discovered I couldn't sign into Google (to download my backups). I finally had to boot into Recovery, wipe the cache and do a factory reset. What a pain.

SOLUTION

I can now confirm that this method does in fact work perfectly on the Verizon Note 3 4.4.2 NC4 with 64 GB external micro-SD card, purchased in mid-July, 2014. I still don't know why my first attempt at this bricked the phone since I was never able to view the file and when I redid the stock ROM it wiped it away. I'm sure I was very careful, but who knows.

But this time I decided to use the FixSD app from the Play Store. One click seemed easier than doing the edit by hand. Rebooted, and I now can access the external SD card. I have successfully written files both large and small (up to 500 MB so far) using apps that perviously complained about not being able to access the external card.

campotino
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I have a N7100 Galaxy Note 2 with the latest official firmware 4.4.2 stock.

With ES File Explorer I edit "platform.xml" to fix writing permissions on the microsd and I added "<group /> gid="media_rw" />" under "WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"

After reboot problems begin, all apps are unusable, inaccessible internal and external memory.

With ES File Explorer I restore "platform.xml" as the original file but problems persist.

Now, only sms and phone work.

Please, help me! My thread here

Michele31415
Old
(Last edited by Michele31415; 25th July 2014 at 08:00 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
Well, it looks like I spoke too soon. After rebooting, I found that my entire mp3 directory on the extSdCard somehow mysteriously vanished. The directory is still there, but it's completely empty.

Then I found that my Slingplayer app doesn't work - the audio comes through but the video shows just one frozen image.

That's the last straw. I'm taking this POS phone back to Verizon tomorrow for a refund. It's a shame too because the hardware is a nice improvement over the Note 2. But this Kit Kat Krap makes it completely unusable. I've wasted more than enough of my time trying to get it to do what I need. Foo.

UPDATE

I believe I found the problem with the SD card. Acocording to another thread here http://www.discussny.com/technical-s...64gb-card.html, someone claims:
Quote:
Samsung Tech Support told me that the Note 3 will not accept Class 10 SDHC cards. I decided to keep the card because it does work in my ancient I book G4.
So I looked at my card - sure enough, it's SDHC. Who knew? So I just ordered an SDXC card. Hopefully that will resolve this issue.

vidmas
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by campotino View Post
I have a N7100 Galaxy Note 2 with the latest official firmware 4.4.2 stock.

With ES File Explorer I edit "platform.xml" to fix writing permissions on the microsd and I added "<group /> gid="media_rw" />" under "WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE"

After reboot problems begin, all apps are unusable, inaccessible internal and external memory.

With ES File Explorer I restore "platform.xml" as the original file but problems persist.

Now, only sms and phone work.

Please, help me! My thread here
You need rootexplorer not es file explorer, because you need to change permisions. Its not enoigh to edit xml file bro
SM Galaxy Note 3
Asus ME371MG 16Gb

Tags
externalsdcard, fix sdcard, kitkat, sdcard