Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 52,481 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Camera Lens Scratches

Tip us?

deeznuts
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafy186 View Post
It is a known issue. Huge thread (http://goo.gl/Ll7b49). I spoke with HTC and they wanted me to send my device or use the HTC Advantage. I chose send it in but then I read the thread in AndroidCentral and used toothpaste with a Q tip and that has fixed my issue.
Exactly! People complaining must be their first HTC device here. This has been an issue for like 4yrs now on HTC devices and since the simple trick is toothpaste and a Q tip. Rub it in, clean it off, simple. Like waxing a car almost. Even my old iPhone 4 has this issue so I'd say it's almost an issue with any phone over time. Obviously this coating HTC used makes the issue happen sooner than later as this phone hasn't been out long.

Common sense though for me if I'm going to take an important picture I first wipe the lens with my shirt to be sure. Or maybe it's the OCD? Haha.
Device: Verizon HTC One (M8)
Current Rom: Stock

hdjoe
Old
Thanks Meter 33
Just get a magic eraser and wet it with windex.. Rub the lens for a minute or so and it's clear!
Htc one m8 verizon..
Viper 1.6 - amazing!!!

iPhone 5.... Which I hate...and it's gone!

IPad mini retina 64gb.... Which I love.. Go figure

w4itg
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Glad I found this. The camera is better but not very good for taking pictures if like let's say the moon or lights. Very blurry and glarry. The camera is definitely the biggest and only downfall in my opinion.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Free mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1402885486976.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	2800742   Click image for larger version

Name:	1402885504896.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	2800744   Click image for larger version

Name:	1402885514963.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	2800746  

nabbed
Old
Thanks Meter 198
No case, no scratches either.
When I put the phone down on an unknown surface, I swipe away any dust first.

jdavis2037
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Got it guys!!!!!!!!!

I noticed my M8 had some scratches also on the main Lens, and I read the thread in android central , and turns out the scratches on the lens are not scratches! The lens is coated! Just use a Colorox wipe and a toothbush and BAMM! no scratches! Your Welcome! Laters!

---------- Post added at 07:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:21 PM ----------

I noticed my M8 had some scratches also on the main Lens, and I read the thread in android central , and turns out the scratches on the lens are not scratches! The lens is coated! Just use a Colorox wipe and a toothbush and BAMM! no scratches! Your Welcome! Laters!

BadUsername
Old
(Last edited by BadUsername; 13th July 2014 at 06:29 AM.)
Thanks Meter 636
Wanted to verify that the original Mr clean magic eraser with water (not windex) worked fantastic. Used it on every lens, even the front one, even though my main lens was the only scratched one. Made all the blurring in my photos go away completely and didn't harm the glass at all.

I'd pick this over using toothpaste, works faster, has no abrasive material, and no chemicals. I put a camera protector on it immediately after cleaning it. Very pleased with the results.

Not the same time of day, but you can notice the edges of the photograph aren't blurry at all in the night photo. I think the flash makes imperfections more obvious anyway. My front facing camera was way worse than that, but now it's crystal clear.

Lost Dog
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadUsername View Post
I'd pick this over using toothpaste, works faster, has no abrasive material, and no chemicals. I put a camera protector on it immediately after cleaning it. Very pleased with the results.
I don't want to be pedantic however a "Magic Eraser" is nothing but an abrasive material. It's melamine foam which when solidified in to the sponge like form because nearly as hard as glass. The micro-structure is so fine that it acts like an incredibly high grit sandpaper. When you rub the camera lens you are simply polishing the scratches away (removing a thin layer of the lens thickness).

The front glass of the phone is harder than the melamine so you won't remove any scratches from that surface (but you may remove any coatings).
The Following User Says Thank You to Lost Dog For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

BadUsername
Old
Thanks Meter 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Dog View Post
I don't want to be pedantic however a "Magic Eraser" is nothing but an abrasive material. It's melamine foam which when solidified in to the sponge like form because nearly as hard as glass. The micro-structure is so fine that it acts like an incredibly high grit sandpaper. When you rub the camera lens you are simply polishing the scratches away (removing a thin layer of the lens thickness).

The front glass of the phone is harder than the melamine so you won't remove any scratches from that surface (but you may remove any coatings).
Wow, great information. That makes really good sense actually.

Learn something new everyday. That would explain how it works, to me I guess it just felt really soft so I didn't really think of it as an abrasive.

I didn't use it on the front glass, just the camera lens. I don't want to lose any coating on the touch screen.

jskolm
Old
Thanks Meter 135
Awesome.. thanks for this fix! I should have searched for this sooner.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	2868629   Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	189.4 KB
ID:	2868630  

gregory_classy
Old