Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,563 Members 44,856 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Changes in Stock 4.4 [Summarized] [My Observations Added on Page 17]

Tip us?

Maris_
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryH_GEG View Post
Can someone on 4.4 test this? It's from the Tab Pro forum and apparently is a way of using the old "Cascade View" feature on the OG Note 10.1 where app windows could float, be moved around, and resized vs. having to always be side-by-side.
Not exactly...tapping instead of dragging quickly loads up to 5 apps in multi window, but no re-sizing is available. There is an icon available by tapping the blue divider that displays the apps loaded to the active window half in cascade, but they do not float. Tapping the top of the app you want to use pulls it to the front, but only two windows are able to be used at one time.
The Following User Says Thank You to Maris_ For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dk206
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProFresh4 View Post
Can no longer download movies with Utorrent! Have a 64gb card and can't use it.

Edit:
Have to download to Tablet and transfer to SD card with my files app. So now ES File explorer is useless at the moment
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
ummm you couldn't do it with jellybean either. Downloading straight to memory card is so slow!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

CM9

BarryH_GEG
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4123
Here's my take on the update. I haven't commented on the things talked about in the first post as it would be repetitive. As always, YMMV.

Performance:

Pretty much night and day. I have a huge number of apps and widgets so I represent the extreme. Someone said 4.4 was N3 fast; not quite but pretty close. Those with less crap than I have should notice a huge difference.

Battery:

Hard to tell. I had a bear of a time getting 4.4 installed via Odin with it failing half-a-dozen times. For some reason my N10.1-14 barely charged last night and stayed at around 35% over about 7 hours. It charged fine and almost fully during the day. I'm using it pretty heavily today and I'd guess my battery is better than before; it's certainly no worse. It's going to take a couple of days for me to get a complete read on where battery life and charging time lands.

Multiview/Pen Window

You can add tons more apps out of the box. Apps available are now common to both multiview and Pen Window. You can now directly open Pen Window apps without using Air Command or having to draw on the screen. You just open the multiview panel from the right and tap an app (vs. dragging it). A box comes up allowing you to open it in traditional multiview mode or floating like Cascade view worked on the OG Note 10.1. Pretty cool.

Tapping the box with the "+" sign shown below opens an app in a floating window, the box below it opens it as a standard multiview window.

Daynote's gone/Trip Advisor wallpaper works:

Daynote no esta aqui, at least on the Panama ROM. The travel lock screen wallpaperís been fixed for the 2,560x1,600 display and it's gorgeous. It used to look funky to accommodate portrait which doesn't exist on the N3 from whence it came.

Lock screen widgets still exist:

At least on the Panama ROM and/or my configuration.

Apps that have been noticeably cleaned up:

Mail - Cleaner, flatter, faster. Push has been added for GMail like on the N3. The new widget sucks. Combined view is the only option and the font used is huge and non-adjustable so in a 4x3 configuration you can see three e-mails.

Browser - Really nicely redone and a lot faster. Headers and controls have been re-worked so there's more browser content and less "stuff." Zoom seems less neurotic with sites opening consistently in the set viewing size (85% in my case). Reader-mode now has a night view and integration with S Note and Scrapbook. The bookmarks widget can't be re-sized anymore it's fixed at 4x2.

Scrapbook - Cleaned up and a lot faster.

S Note - Faster with some additional editing controls I haven't explored yet.

My Files - Better organized with additional filters/options for drilling down to find specific content.

S Voice, S Planner, Video Player, Gallery - Cleaned up and easier to find stuff and navigate

Problems/Issues

None yet. Long pressing the period gives me a question mark, playing with the notification panel while watching videoís fine, and I have no issues playing back video. I had to side load Samsung Video for Hub because my country didnít support and the 4.3 version FCís on 4.4. @nrage23 was kind enough to upload the new version and allís good. So, all-in-all, Iím a happy camper.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BarryH_GEG For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

dk206
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellEstridge25 View Post
Yes there is... SD fix in the play store. I can use utorrent to download movies and TV shows right to an SD card folder.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Isn't the speed really slow though?
I can usually get 2mb max on internal memory,
however SD card = 0.1 kb/s

CM9

BarryH_GEG
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4123
Quote:
Originally Posted by dk206 View Post
Isn't the speed really slow though?
I can usually get 2mb max on internal memory,
however SD card = 0.1 kb/s
Internal top, external bottom. Lots of variables like class and brand of external SD. Mine's some higher-end SanDisk 64GB.

dk206
Old
Thanks Meter 82
Mine is too class 10. However bittorent doesnt really download anything on sd card. Just 0.1 kbs and just stalls

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

CM9

Adalean
Old
Thanks Meter 1
When I updated to 4.4.2 via OTA, the Samsung Video Player app updated also and resembled Note Pro's 12 Video Player (new icon, cleaner layout and no integration with Samsung Hub Video Store), but now when I flashed the same region stock file via ODIN, the old Video Player got restored instead!

Are there different video players in different regions? Have any of you flashed 4.4.2 and received the updated video player?

KiwiBird97
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default New clock widget in Android 4.4.2 (P600UEUCND2)

The clock app has been changed as part of the update.

REMOVED FEATURES
The Alarm and World Clock apps have been removed from the US ROM and replaced with the Clock app that came with the Nexus 10.
The Samsung lock screen clock widget present at the release of this tablet is obsolete and replaced with the stock clock widget that came with the Nexus 10. In addition, the font has been made thinner and your favorite cities' times are shown.

ADDED FEATURES
The stopwatch has been added. You can record up to 100 laps.
The timer tab has been added. You can set as many timers as you want up to 10 hours each.
Samsung really made the clock app better for its US tablets. It is now a fully packaged clock app.

Do you notice the dark theme?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-25-01-08-04.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	267.2 KB
ID:	2869603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-25-01-09-24.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	2869604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-07-25-01-10-34.png