Root Sprint S5....Step-by-Step

Search This thread

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
Great job on the OP, I have had no issues backing up and restoring using the latest TWRP but I have seen others report issues. If it helps, I do not use compression or MD5 checks and also turned off the screen saver option.

If possible maybe expand upon option #2 for rooting without a PC (include the Mod Strings used within TowelRoot as well as Mobile Odin). I made a post a page back with links for all of that.

Also, maybe a disclaimer noting that flashing a custom recovery will trip Knox security and increase the Knox counter, which is non reversible (as of right now anyway) and voids the warranty of the phone. I know it's plastered everywhere but since this is the standardized thread for rooting and flashing a custom recovery that info may be helpful/important.

Thanks again for gathering all of the pertinent info

Good feedback. I will get the additional info into the OP. Thanks.

Reactions: fergie716

burowyako

Sep 12, 2007
I'm rooted with the stock ROM and am on ND2. I want to get the latest update, but I'm sure it will break root. How do I gain root after an update breaks it? I've always been curious about this.

Thank you for your help!

Sent from my SM-G900P using XDA Free mobile app

burowyako

Sep 12, 2007
I'm rooted with the stock ROM and am on ND2. I want to get the latest update, but I'm sure it will break root. How do I gain root after an update breaks it? I've always been curious about this.

Thank you for your help!

Anyone?

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
root work on the newer sprint s5 active?? i cant deal with stock look

I changed the OP because the information being reported on towelroot is that it will not work on Kernels dated newer than June 3rd, 2014. Others have reported that towelroot is not working with the SM-860P (S5 Sport). Users were instructed to put in a request to CF to create an auto root compatible with the Sport and supposedly have done that.

I do not know if there is any current root procedure that will work on the SM-860P. Will update the OP when more information becomes available.

eric46201

Jul 30, 2014
I changed the OP because the information being reported on towelroot is that it will not work on Kernels dated newer than June 3rd, 2014. Others have reported that towelroot is not working with the SM-860P (S5 Sport). Users were instructed to put in a request to CF to create an auto root compatible with the Sport and supposedly have done that.

I do not know if there is any current root procedure that will work on the SM-860P. Will update the OP when more information becomes available.

Its not working for me. Is there a new way yet? My kernel shows to new.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

It is easy on my old s2. Why they make it so hard for us?

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
Its not working for me. Is there a new way yet? My kernel shows to new.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

It is easy on my old s2. Why they make it so hard for us?

Which version are you on? The SM-860P? If so, I have not heard of a new method for this device yet. Give it some time and hopefully one will be out that works. Mostly will depend on how much demand there is for it, how popular the device is, and who takes interest in getting it rooted.

As for the standard S5 (900P) both towelroot and auto root work fine. Root in less than a few minutes.

eric46201

Jul 30, 2014
Which version are you on? The SM-860P? If so, I have not heard of a new method for this device yet. Give it some time and hopefully one will be out that works. Mostly will depend on how much demand there is for it, how popular the device is, and who takes interest in getting it rooted.

As for the standard S5 (900P) both towelroot and auto root work fine. Root in less than a few minutes.

Yes the 860p. Will we ever be getting root? Maybe I should sell and get 900p?

zmag

Jan 25, 2011
Option 2: **According to the latest info from towelroot thread, this will only work with Kernels dated prior to June 3rd, 2014. May work on newer but chances are not good due to Google supposedly patching the exploit**

---

According to Root Explorer, some folder and file dates are dated April 04, 2014 - My build is KOT49H.G900PVPU1AND2

I'm wondering if I can run towelroot? and if so, should i run it without the modstrings for "Newer Samsung phones"?

FWIW: I did NOT accept any System or Software OR Security updates. I have used Turn Off on all the apps I could so far (which I believe is everything BUT the Security updates) but ATM there are no notifications popping up on me every 5 min. like before. And I just received this phone via Ting.com/Fed Ex. As like my HTC Evo 4G LTE, I followed the same rules and did NOT accept any updates after activation. (I assumed the newest updates would patch any root methods, that's why I didn't apply them) I believe the Software update (140 mb) was downloaded automatically when I turned on Wi-Fi, but I did not apply it. I have not Powered Off/Rebooted my phone since, in fear that if I do, it will apply the Software update. Am I wrong? Do I manually have to press the Apply Software Update button (or w/e it is called in the Software Update app) ? Sorry, I just wanted you to know what steps I have taken as much as possible.

I would rather not have to use the CF-Auto-Root method, my desktop (Windows XP Pro SP3) didn't always play well with my HTC Evo 4G LTE... (but it -did- allow me to root it and install TWRP)

I just don't like attempting root without being very, very sure of what I'm doing!

Any input is greatly appreciated! - zmag

Last edited:

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
Option 2: **According to the latest info from towelroot thread, this will only work with Kernels dated prior to June 3rd, 2014. May work on newer but chances are not good due to Google supposedly patching the exploit**

---

According to Root Explorer, some folder and file dates are dated April 04, 2014 - My build is KOT49H.G900PVPU1AND2

I'm wondering if I can run towelroot? and if so, should i run it without the modstrings for "Newer Samsung phones"?

FWIW: I did NOT accept any System or Software OR Security updates. I have used Turn Off on all the apps I could so far (which I believe is everything BUT the Security updates) but ATM there are no notifications popping up on me every 5 min. like before. And I just received this phone via Ting.com/Fed Ex. As like my HTC Evo 4G LTE, I followed the same rules and did NOT accept any updates after activation. (I assumed the newest updates would patch any root methods, that's why I didn't apply them) I believe the Software update (140 mb) was downloaded automatically when I turned on Wi-Fi, but I did not apply it. I have not Powered Off/Rebooted my phone since, in fear that if I do, it will apply the Software update. Am I wrong? Do I manually have to press the Apply Software Update button (or w/e it is called in the Software Update app) ? Sorry, I just wanted you to know what steps I have taken as much as possible.

I would rather not have to use the CF-Auto-Root method, my desktop (Windows XP Pro SP3) didn't always play well with my HTC Evo 4G LTE... (but it -did- allow me to root it and install TWRP)

I just don't like attempting root without being very, very sure of what I'm doing!

Any input is greatly appreciated! - zmag

File dates do not matter. Just the kernel date. ND2 was released before NE5. Towelroot should work on both builds without issue or use of strings.

You can do one of two things.....

1) Take the official update to NE5 and then run towelroot to obtain root. Unless Sprint has done something to the kernel in this build we don't know about since everyone else has updated then towelroot should work fine.

2) If you are worried about taking the OTA and then not being able to get root just root your ND2 build and then update to a rooted NE5 build manually. Just check the thread HERE or flash one of the many custom roms.

Really there should be no problem with obtaining root going either route. The only version I know of having issues currently is the Sport S5 because the kernel has been patched.

The OTA update you downloaded is on your phone and you can just go and delete the files it downloaded if you want. Can't remember exactly which folder it downloads to but might check the /cache folder.

Just make sure you download towelroot from the link in the OP and not from the towelroot site.

Last edited:

zmag

Jan 25, 2011
Thank you CCallahan, I feel confident about running towelroot now knowing a little history about the builds and build names

And you're right about going by file/folder dates (newb move on my part)

One more question: I was talking to another xda member, and was told if I try and install a custom recovery, I will trip Knox - and I should just leave the stock recovery; is this true? (Edit: I also just saw the giant red Disclaimer in your OP)

I ask because I read that SuperSU has an "Uninstall Knox" feature - just wondering if that works?/any new news on the subject?

I would prefer to install TWRP, as I am familar with it already from using it on my HTC Evo 4G LTE - but I saw the post saying I can use Mobile ODIN to install a recovery, and i dont think it mentioned anything about Knox...

Anyway, I am going to charge my phone fully then try and run towelroot (which I downloaded from the OP after seeing the post about towelroot.com's version not working with any build anymore.) Thanks for that btw, I would've never known! I noticed that the two versions have totally different md5s/sizes so it seems totally possible!

I will post later if towelroot worked or not. Thanks again! - zmag

P.S. I was shocked to find out that since Android 4.4, the external sd card is read only. WTF GOOGLE! I was happy with my oldschool JB Rom I ran, because I read so much crap about the early KK builds. I have to root to fix this anyway, but it just made me think that Google is trying to "dumb down" newer builds. (Sounds like something Apple would do!) *frustrated grunt* lol

---

Edit 2: SUCCESS!

Well, towelroot ran smoothly and has granted root access. Remarkable app, 1 click root; who woulda thunk it? :)

And SuperSU Pro v2.02 detected Samsung KNOX and asked if I wanted to remove it; 1st try, didn't work. After rebooting and starting SuperSU again, same dialog popped up asking if I wanted to remove it: 2nd try it worked.

Took some screenshots for giggles...

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-14-18-29-24.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-14-18-29-24.png
    168.3 KB · Views: 367
  • Screenshot_2014-08-14-18-39-36.png
    Screenshot_2014-08-14-18-39-36.png
    83 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

asd.sparky

Aug 24, 2014
You can actually root using Heimdall, which is essentially the Linux version of Odin(which DOES require PC). It does trip Knox, however, since it's flashing your phone. In the end, you are rooted, which is the most important thing. Just remember, though, if you want to flash ANYTHING, there are two ways, through Odin(or Heimdall), or custom recovery. To get custom recovery, you have to flash through Odin(or Heimdall). Both ways trips Knox. Moral of the story, if you're only using root to use some features on some apps, perfect. If you want to flash mods, tweaks, roms, themes, etc, etc...you have to trip Knox to do so. Just thought I'd point that out. Good luck!

Do I understand correctly, that I can root my phone to use the root-only apps without tripping Knox, as long as I don't flash the custom recovery? I don't necessarily want to void the warranty just yet but I have several root-only apps from my S3 I would like to continue to use now that I've upgraded to the S5.

CCallahan

Oct 20, 2010
Rock Chalk
Do I understand correctly, that I can root my phone to use the root-only apps without tripping Knox, as long as I don't flash the custom recovery? I don't necessarily want to void the warranty just yet but I have several root-only apps from my S3 I would like to continue to use now that I've upgraded to the S5.

Yes. If all you do is use towelroot to obtain root then Knox should not be tripped and device status should stay as "Official". Don't forget to install SuperSU after achieving root.

Last edited:
Reactions: prboy1969

asd.sparky

Aug 24, 2014
Yes. If all you do is use towelroot to obtain root then Knox should not be tripped and device status should stay as "Official". Don't forget to install SuperSU after achieving root.

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and ran towelroot as directed and it appeared to work...until I ran root checker. Root Checker says I am not successfully rooted. I ran SupeSU but could not update the binary without removing Knox. I assume removing Knox will void the warranty. Is there another way around this? Maybe another superuser app that will not try to remove Knox? Any Ideas? Thanks guys.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Root Sprint S5 step-by-step....the following is for the Sprint SM-G900P (S5) and SM-860P (Sport S5) Updated 10/20/2014

*The SM-G900P method has been confirmed to work on the Virgin Mobile branded S5. However, do this at your own risk*

-----> If you would rather watch a video of how to root the S5 check out qbking77's here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52587088&postcount=1

Please thank the owners of the threads in the links for the work put in to post the necessary files to obtain root/hotspot

**As always, I am not responsible for anything that happens to your device. Just follow the easy steps and all will be good.**

*Before you proceed, if you have not taken the official ND2 or NE5 update from Sammy yet and want to then do that now. It is easier to do the update before obtaining root.

STEP 1 - DRIVERS
    Download the Samsung S5 driver and install on your Windows PC: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/SM-G900PZKASPR
    --->If you are using Linux no additional driver download is required.<---

After you install the drivers, plug in your phone to the PC and make sure it detects your device and loads the drivers properly. Should be able to access your storage. If not, don't proceed because chances are Odin will not recognize the device either. If this happens, try a different usb port, re-booting PC, cable, etc.​

STEP 2 - OBTAIN ROOT SM-G900P (S5)
    **Disclaimer.....using CF Auto Root method will trip the Knox counter and can not be undone. This will void the warranty on your device. Towelroot method in itself does not trip the Knox counter.**
    There are 2 options for root. Pick whichever you are more comfortable with (my preference is towelroot because it is a faster and safer one click method):

Option 1: **According to the latest info from towelroot thread, this will only work with Kernels dated prior to June 3rd, 2014. May work on newer but chances are not good due to Google supposedly patching the exploit.**

This can be done without the use of a PC. Go HERE, click the symbol, and download the towelroot apk.
    After download, install and run. Then, go to Play Store and download/install SuperSU. Run to update binary. Done.

---->For More Adventurous Users....if you want to utilize mod strings for towelroot, install recovery without a PC using Mobile Odin, etc. see HERE Courtesy of fergie716

Option 2: Download Chainfire's S5 Autoroot (Odin included in package): http://download.chainfire.eu/408/CF-Root/CF-Auto-Root/CF-Auto-Root-kltespr-kltespr-smg900p.zip
    Then go here and just follow the steps: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51421067&postcount=2

STEP 2 - OBTAIN ROOT SM-G860P (Sport S5)
    **Disclaimer.....using the following method to root (currently the only available) will trip the Knox counter and can not be undone. This will void the warranty on your device.**
    Download Chainfire's Sport S5 Autoroot (Odin included in package): http://download.chainfire.eu/460/CF-...ts-smg860p.zip
    Then go here and just follow the steps: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51421067&postcount=2

STEP 3 - CUSTOM RECOVERY SM-G900P (S5)
    **Disclaimer.....flashing a custom recovery will trip the Knox counter and can not be undone. This will void the warranty on your device.**
    Download the latest PhilZ CWM Advanced Touch .tar.md5 file (custom recovery): http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2706253
    Take this .tar.md5 file and put in your Odin folder. If you don't have Odin yet then download from here: xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1168421

Then just follow the Odin directions on this page under "How to install with Odin". Just remember you are installing PhilZ and not TWRP but steps are still the same: [url]http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51450356&postcount=1[/URL]​

STEP 3 - CUSTOM RECOVERY SM-G860P (Sport S5)
    **Disclaimer.....flashing a custom recovery will trip the Knox counter and can not be undone. This will void the warranty on your device.**

STEP 4 - NANDROID BACKUP
    Don't skip----> Now that you have root and a custom recovery, first thing you should do is make a backup in recovery just in case something goes wrong in the future. (hold press Vol Up + Home + Power when powered off to boot into recovery) **I strongly recommend that you backup EFS as well. Keep the backup in a safe place afterwards** Or, you can go HERE, download the tool, and backup EFS with the app. Make sure you have Busybox installed first and put the produced backup in a safe place such as PC hard drive, cloud storage, etc.​

Optional:
    Now that you are rooted what is a flashaholic to do?
    For a comprehensive list of mods, roms, and add-ons click here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=52456762&postcount=1

Done. Flash away.
    Yea for future use you don't need Windows to root the phone and put a custom recovery on. I used Towelroot with the mod strings for newer Samsung phones then used Mobile Odin to flash my recovery image. Alternatively, you can use dd to flash any recovery.img but you need root first. To dd the recovery image use Terminal Emulator, make sure the recovery image (TWRP, Philz, etc) is on the root of your "Main Storage" (SD, not ExtSD) and rename it to "recovery.img" then enter these commands:

su
    dd if=/sdcard/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/msm_sdcc.1/by-name/recovery

Links:

Mobile Odin (Use to flash recovery.img or recovery.tar, MUST be rooted before using)

Mod Strings for Towelroot and How-To Access It (I used 1337 0 1 7380 4 0)
    Will confirm just received new S5 in the mail yesterday, fired it up installed Towel root and all rooted. Thanks for this simple and easy way. By far the easiest root I have ever achieved, no computer, no cables, no Odin...
    Can't beat that. Thank you for putting this thread together @CCallahan

Have a great day!

+1..fyi, if you're still on NE5 and take the NK4 OTA you lose root, but Tr gets it right back :)

Just upgraded from the s4 and definitely want to get my s5 rooted... The representative at the store automatically did the updates, so I'm curious will the 2nd option (no pc needed) still work?

Sent from my SM-G900P using xda premium

Yes, you should be able to root using towelroot without using your PC even with the latest update.

Does this method trip the Knox counter?

On that note, I'm interested in learning more about Knox. My S5 arrives sometime today, and it's the first Samsung I've had since before Android was around. I'm coming from the Optimus G, which is about as easy as it gets.

I'd like to root the phone ASAP, and though I've googled it extensively, I haven't gotten a straight answer to this question: if the Knox counter is tripped, is the warranty on the phone void? If that's the case, should I wait a couple weeks after getting the phone to root it if it'll trip the Knox counter, just in case something is wrong with it and it needs to be replaced?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions for me!

Towel root does not trip Knox and here's a good read.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2487714