Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,198 Members 41,110 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[HOW TO] [GUIDE] [Q&A] - Verizon Samsung Galaxy S5 ROOT & Then Some

Tip us?

landshark68
Old
Thanks Meter 481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandroid View Post
All good advice and true, but the S3 bootloader got unlocked. So hopefully it is just a matter of time for the S5.

---------- Post added at 06:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:52 PM ----------

I've decided I don't like "My Magazine" and would like to can it. What's the best / safest way to do that? Can I freeze it with TIBU?

Edit - Looks like I can, and also froze Flipboard. Then I found a My Magazine setting in the Homescreen Settings and turned that off.
The S3 bootloader was only unlocked because someone at Samsung leaked the aboot image, and that was prior to the locked bootloader that was included in the 4.3 and now the 4.4.2 OTA updates the S3 has received. If you had an S3 and took either update, your S3 is as locked down as the S5 is. So neither one is going to get unlocked without a similar leak, and that is not likely to happen.

Sent from the Shark Tank using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Shouldn't we treat this world like the garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus.......sometimes the circus comes to you
The Following User Says Thank You to landshark68 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Zoandroid
Old
(Last edited by Zoandroid; 10th July 2014 at 05:09 AM.)
Thanks Meter 21
Default Safestrap essentially "IS" TWRP.....repackaged

OK, I just installed Safestrap and am currently making my first nandroid backup of the S5. I will attempt to clarify some of the points I found confusing before I tried Safestrap:

Does it make nandroid backups? YES. Safestrap is, for all intent and purpose, TWRP. It is just repackaged to work in an unusual way. But from its user interface, if you are accustomed to TWRP, you will feel right at home.

Installing it was very simple, once I took a shot in the dark and picked the newer of the 2 file versions on Hashcode's Safestrap thread. Neither one appears to match up to any name string I see on my About Phone on the S5, so I had to rely on blind faith that since this all just came together recently, the files (hopefully) would apply to my S5 which I just bought.

The backup went off without a hitch. It creates a new TWRP folder path similar to what one might have seen on other devices. The SD card I am using came out of my S3, so I deleted the TWRP folder it had, which contained S3 nandroids. Although the S5 has a different ID string in the path, I could see were it "could" allow the confused misstep of one trying to restore an S3 nandroid to the S5, which of course would be disastrous. So I am glad I deleted the S3 TWRP folder.

I did not use any compression. The nandroid of my S5 is over 4GB! That is nearly 4 times the size of most nandroids I have made from other rooted/unlocked-bootloader devices. You might want to keep this in mind when selecting the size of an SD card to use.

The nandroid date stamp, as usual in Custom Recoveries, is screwed up. As I understand it, there is no way to fix this issue. So editing the auto-generated nandroid file name and including the true date and time is prudent.

One question still unanswered for me.......aside from using the Safestrap.apk app itself to boot into Safestrap recovery, what button press combination would I use to boot to recovery if something happened and the phone did not boot normally into the system? I've not seen this mentioned anywhere yet. According to another website, from full power off, press and hold VOL UP, HOME, and POWER keys to enter Recovery. That takes me to the STOCK Recovery. There is no option to access Safestrap Recovery from there that I can see. During the normal power off boot process, the option to enter Safestrap appears on an intermediate boot screen. Hopefully that would work even if booting to the system stopped working.
- Zoandroid -

Samsung Galaxy S5 - Rooted / Safestrapped.
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 - Rooted Stock.
VZW Samsung GS III - Rooted JB 4.1.2.
Wife's Kindle Fire - Stock.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zoandroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Zoandroid
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark68 View Post
The S3 bootloader was only unlocked because someone at Samsung leaked the aboot image, and that was prior to the locked bootloader that was included in the 4.3 and now the 4.4.2 OTA updates the S3 has received. If you had an S3 and took either update, your S3 is as locked down as the S5 is. So neither one is going to get unlocked without a similar leak, and that is not likely to happen.

Sent from the Shark Tank using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Thanks for the info. Although I'm not a programmer, I do enjoy learning about how all this developer goodness comes about. For my part, I took the advice provided when learning to do my first Android root years ago, and never considered trying to accept an update from the carrier once rooted. For me it is like a choice between who provides software and updates. Once the dev route is chosen, going back to the other side isn't even a consideration until my next new device.

The thing about locks, especially software ones, is that if Joe A is clever enough to create one, somewhere Joe B is out there clever enough to pick the lock. Time, and the off chance of getting Joe B's attention and interest, are the only barriers to the lock being picked. Leaking things surely made it faster and easier when that happened. But I would not consider relying on leaked info as the absolute only way to achieve success. Guys like Geohot are a good example of my sentiment. If the right minds focus on this issue, the bootloader will get unlocked. Until that happens, we patiently wait. (Less patiently, for some. )
- Zoandroid -

Franzie3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 290

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
There are contradictions all over the original post:

The confusion in this post has caused me to completely frak up rooting of my Verizon S5. Everyone keeps referring to this post, but it's a mess. I continue to post questions in multiple forums all over the internet and still I get no straight answers. Everyone said rooting is easy. Sure, installing towelroot was easy, but all the other stuff - SuperSU, Superuser, KNOX, recoveries, custom ROMs, blah, blah is confusing as hell and there is not place to get straightforward information.
Quote:
Sorry to say, I have to agree. The OP definitely needs to be cleaned up and replaced with the most current (and corrected) information.

My take on the overall situation would be condensed into saying (as I understand it) towelroot is the only current root method for the S5. But that still leaves a locked bootloader, so we can't install any custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP. What we can do is the safestrap method which is a bit confusing all by itself, because it is unusual. I have not tried it, because it is unclear to me if it would allow the creation of a nandroid backup of the rooted stock ROM. That would be the only reason I would want a custom recovery at this time. So if someone can shed light on that, I would appreciate it.

I did the SuperSU and Root Checker installation from the Play Store, but had some issues along the way. I stumbled through it and managed to come out with Root Checker verifying I rooted. I don't recall specific details, just that it wasn't as easy as I expected it to be.

I have no interest in modifying the current ROM, which I believe is what installing "exposed" is all about.

I have done the step for enabling apps to write to the REAL ExtSD card. I believe it works, for "most" apps. However I have seen one app, K9 Mail, claim it could not save a downloaded attachment to the SD card. I switched to GMail and succeeded in saving the very same attachment to the SD card. So I consider this only a "partial" fix until I learn more.

I froze the 2 suggested apps for disabling the security notification, and disabling the Verizon OTA notification, after learning that I was looking for "SDM 1.0", not "SDM Manager".

I've not tried any of this thread's other suggestions.
Sorry work has been uber busy for me so i cant quite monitor everything on a daily basis. I'll try and get the OP updated between today and tomorrow. Next time instead just PM me if you think something should be changed or updated
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Franzie3 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Razzzzer
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergalthema View Post
There are contradictions all over the original post:

The confusion in this post has caused me to completely frak up rooting of my Verizon S5. Everyone keeps referring to this post, but it's a mess. I continue to post questions in multiple forums all over the internet and still I get no straight answers. Everyone said rooting is easy. Sure, installing towelroot was easy, but all the other stuff - SuperSU, Superuser, KNOX, recoveries, custom ROMs, blah, blah is confusing as hell and there is not place to get straightforward information.
Don't think rooting is the way to go for you my friend.
you can do damage...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Razzzzer For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

raico12
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Help

I cant seem to access the play store once everything is said and done.. all i get is a server error. Am i doing something incorrectly?

Zoandroid
Old
Thanks Meter 21
If I install Exposed, will it allow me to run an ad-blocker on the S5?
- Zoandroid -

killa408shark
Old
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
If I install Exposed, will it allow me to run an ad-blocker on the S5?
This is what I been using
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh3sxjadki...AdAway_2.3.apk

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to killa408shark For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Zoandroid
Old
Thanks Meter 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by killa408shark View Post
This is what I been using
https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh3sxjadki...AdAway_2.3.apk

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Free mobile app

THANK YOU!! This version WORKS! Sooo..........why did the other versions I tried downloading from places like the Amazon app store last night, as well as my very own previous 2.3 version backups from TIBU, always fail to complete the host file building process? That was why I was thinking I might need to use Exposed.

I love it when we find a way to foil the mega-corp world domination efforts.

---------- Post added at 03:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by raico12 View Post
I cant seem to access the play store once everything is said and done.. all i get is a server error. Am i doing something incorrectly?
Not sure why that would be happening. I've not had any issue with the Store, aside from its valiant effort to thwart any app that blocks ads.

Have you tried rebooting the phone? Maybe it is a Google Services issue? I know when I got my S5 just a few days ago, I picked it up in person at Verizon. When he set it up for me there were some warning triangles in the notification area, and I think one had something to do with Google Services. I asked him what that was about, and he said that the phone probably needed to download some larger files, and would wait to do so until I was on wifi, to not overtax my cell data quota. (I guess Verizon feels it is counterproductive to provide wifi in their stores. lol )

So if you're not using wifi to access the Store you might want to try that.
- Zoandroid -

The Following User Says Thank You to Zoandroid For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Franzie3
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 290

DONATE TO ME
OP has been updated and the post have been reorganized a little. I've added compatible safestrap rom and where to find them. I'll be away for a few weeks so if there is anything new or such just PM me.