Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 52,569 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

T-mobile Note 3 update June 19th - Baseband NF1

Tip us?

lanwarrior
Old
(Last edited by lanwarrior; Yesterday at 05:26 PM.)
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DITPL View Post
I wanted to take the time to say a huge THANK YOU for your help (I hit the Thanks button too!)

Last night, I just upgraded my rooted N900T from MI7 (JellyBean) to NF1 (KitKat). I had originally rooted my Note3 with the RootDelaVega method and was worried about upgrading to KitKat because of the chance of losing root, tripping Knox and because of the ex-sdcard issues. Thankfully, everything worked out. Just in case anyone else is looking for a step-by-step guide, here is what I came up with by reading all of the posts here.

Updating from a ROOTED (stock) Note3 to the latest version (no warranties, you may mess up your phone, etc.):
  1. Install Mobile Odin and select OPEN FILE. Point to the full firmware "N900TUVUDNF1_N900TTMBDNF1_N900TUVUDNF1_HOME.tar.m d5"
  2. Check the "Enable EverRoot", "Inject Superuser (SuperSU)", "Inject Mobile ODIN" and "Wipe Dalvik cache" boxes.
  3. Click on "After flash ..." box and select to reboot in Download mode.
  4. Click on "Flash firmware" and watch your phone install the update and reboot into Download mode.
  5. Pour yourself some nice bourbon as you pass the time.
  6. Launch Odin 3.09 on the PC. Now that your phone has booted into Download mode, "Added !!" should appear in the Message box.
  7. In Odin v3.09, click on BL button and load the bootloader file that was previously shared by toastido: N900TUVUDNF1_BL.tar.md5 (failure to do this may prevent the keyboard from launching).
  8. In Odin v3.09, click on CSC button and load the csc file that was previously shared by toastido: N900TUVUDNF1_CSC.tar.md5 (failure to do so may interfere will functions like VoLTE).
  9. In Odin v3.09, ensure that only the "Auto Reboot", "BL" and "CSC" boxes are checked.
  10. Click "Start" and watch the two files get installed on your phone.
  11. Once the phone has restarted, do a factory reset of the phone by either booting into Recovery (Home + Up Volume + Power) or through the Settings menu. (This step has to be done AFTER flashing the CSC file. Failure to do so will prevent WiFi calling to work.)
  12. After the phone has rebooted and you've logged in (and stopped the Play Store from installing every app you've had since your Nexus One), install and run the "SDFix" app to allow your apps to read/write from your external SD card.
  13. Sip your bourbon as you enjoy using Titanium Backup to restore your backups and freeze all the bloatware that you forgot was shipped with our phones.
  14. (Optional) Install Xposed and the Wanam module because they are awesome.

Your results may vary, but I did it this way and have a stable, rooted KitKat install that is working great with WiFi calling/text and Knox hasn't been tripped. Take the time to backup with Titanium Backup and do the full factory reset.
Thanks for the detailed instructions.

Since you did the upgrade above, any issues so far?

I.e. flaky Internet, TouchWiz crashing, lag, etc..etc...

FYI, I am on NE6, rooted, KNOX NOT tripped. My Internet is very flaky. I'd have full bar, 4GLTE icon and. ... no Internet. Tried it in various locations. Never had this when I was still have 4.3
Galaxy Note 3 T-Mobile
Stock ROM - rooted
Official Jelly Bean 4.3

Note 10.1 (2014)
Stock ROM - Not rooted since KNOX tripping
Official KitKat 4.4.2

Retired
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013)
Galaxy Note 8.0
Nexus 7 (2012)
AT&T Galaxy Note
AT&T Galaxy S4 Active

aznmode
Old
Thanks Meter 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanwarrior View Post
Thanks for the detailed instructions.

Since you did the upgrade above, any issues so far?

I.e. flaky Internet, TouchWiz crashing, lag, etc..etc...

FYI, I am on NE6, rooted, KNOX NOT tripped. My Internet is very flaky. I'd have full bar, 4GLTE icon and. ... no Internet. Tried it in various locations. Never had this when I was still have 4.3
Internet is still flaky on nf1. Performance is the same. Wifi calling broke on nf1 if you flash through mobile Odin pro which is the only way to flash nf1 and retain root. So I odin back to ne6 since it's more stable. But if you're still curious just try it yourself and Odin back if you don't like it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Don't forget to give thanks if I've helped you in anyway...

lanwarrior
Old
Thanks Meter 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by aznmode View Post
Internet is still flaky on nf1. Performance is the same. Wifi calling broke on nf1 if you flash through mobile Odin pro which is the only way to flash nf1 and retain root. So I odin back to ne6 since it's more stable. But if you're still curious just try it yourself and Odin back if you don't like it.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
Ah, OK. If the Internet is still flaky, I'll hold off on flashing NF1 then.

The NF1 is not an Android OS update and was supposed to "fix" VoLTE stuff only, but I think that fixed the voice comm, not data issue.

FYI, I noticed the flakyness had to do when there is a switch over of the tower. I use Llama, which tracks the tower my N3 connected to and I saw that when the switch happen from one tower to another, the connection "stuck" - no data in and out even though I still have full bar.
Galaxy Note 3 T-Mobile
Stock ROM - rooted
Official Jelly Bean 4.3

Note 10.1 (2014)
Stock ROM - Not rooted since KNOX tripping
Official KitKat 4.4.2

Retired
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 (2013)
Galaxy Note 8.0
Nexus 7 (2012)
AT&T Galaxy Note