Steps for MMC based devices
Thanks for the info. Don't know why it hadn't occur to me to use dd
for taking the image.
This works great for MTD based devices but does nothing for MMC based devices.
Never fear, I found the answer in an old post from lavero.burgos on repartitioning a Nook tablet.
Turns out if you use the parted
from the CM team you can acquire the partition information you need.
Here is a shorthand of the previous instructions as they apply to MMC devices:
- USB Drivers for your device
- ADB installed and in your path
- Appropriately sized USB cable for your device
- microSD card
- GNU parted
- a rooted device
- make directory "firmware-img" on SD Card
- make directory "tools" on SD Card
- copy parted to tools directory on SD Card
- Remove SD Card safely from PC
- put SD Card into rooted device
Run the commands below (one per line)
- adb shell
- su (if not already root user)
- cp /mnt/<sd card mount point>/tools/parted /system/bin
- cat /proc/partitions
- parted /dev/block/mmcblk0
make note of the partition number and name for the partitions you wish to dump
Run dd as defined below each partition you wan to dump, the <partition path> will be /dev/block/mmcblk0p<partition number>.
dd if=<partition path> of=/mnt/<sd card mount point>/firmware-img/<partition name>.img
---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------
I hope this helps. I'm by no means an expert on this type of thing, so if you have additions or corrections, plz feel free. I've been watching learning and gathering, now I have a chance to give back.
I've gotten this to work on Nook tablet, Atrix HD and gonna test it on my Xoom in the next few days.