Android 5.0.2 Fixes 2012 Nexus 7! Sony’s Making a Google Glass Competitor? – XDA TV

Android 5.0.2 Lollipop is available for the … more

Early Lollipop Ports for Micromax A116 and A117

It feels like it was only yesterday when Google announced the mysterious Android L.After … more

Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Is there a free way to unlock Galaxy S5?

OP yehya elmasry

13th May 2014, 08:38 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2

6 posts
I was wondering if someone came up with a free way to unlock the galaxy s5. It costs around $40 to get an unlock code online!
Last edited by yehya elmasry; 14th May 2014 at 04:07 AM.
19th May 2014, 08:47 AM   |  #2  
Flag Atlanta
Thanks Meter: 40

121 posts
More
Who is your carrier

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
4th June 2014, 06:27 PM   |  #3  
Flag Midgar
Thanks Meter: 1

20 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiane79

Who is your carrier

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

metro PCS
5th June 2014, 06:22 AM   |  #4  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 931

3,139 posts
More
No there isn't. If you've been with your carrier for long enough, they will unlock it for you for free.
25th July 2014, 03:07 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 1

1 posts
Smile Galaxy S5
Quote:
Originally Posted by yehya elmasry

I was wondering if someone came up with a free way to unlock the galaxy s5. It costs around $40 to get an unlock code online!

I am not sure if this works put this is the information I was given

On the downside of things, the S5 will be locked by the carrier. This means that there is no way the user can use other SIM cards on their device. Having a carrier lock S5 also restricts plenty of freedom with the user.

Well, there is now a way to overcome this. A set of unlock codes for Samsung smartphones have leaked on the internet and it will free every Samsung carrier locked devices. To break the chains on your S5, simply apply the following instruction.

1. Insert the foreign SIM card into your Samsung Galaxy S5.

2. Turn your handset off and back on again.

3. On the dialpad on your phone, type in *#197328640#.

4. Then select [1] UMTS > [1] Debug Screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] Network Lock > Options [3] Perso SHA256 OFF.

5. Wait for 30 seconds or so before returning to your main menu by choosing back.

6. In the main menu, you should see a “Network Lock” message, now choose [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ.

Let me know how it worked for you?
The Following User Says Thank You to Chogan5151 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th July 2014, 12:23 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 622

1,978 posts
The above post is an outdated S3 unlock method. It will not work for the S5. Many people have tried and no one is reporting success. And anyone who searched the forum would already know this as there have been many, many threads about it.

No one has found a free method to unlock the S5 yet. Read more here. A minority of carriers will unlock your phone for free if you have been a customer for at least x months. Or for a specific reason e.g. roaming abroad.

Other than that you will have to pay a third party vendor to unlock your phone. Prices vary from $15 - $75, so it pays to shop around. Prices will drop over time as well and no doubt a free SIM unlock method will be discovered eventually.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread