Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,949 Members 43,634 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Is there a free way to unlock Galaxy S5?

Tip us?

yehya elmasry
Old
(Last edited by yehya elmasry; 14th May 2014 at 03:07 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default [Q] Is there a free way to unlock Galaxy S5?

I was wondering if someone came up with a free way to unlock the galaxy s5. It costs around $40 to get an unlock code online!

fabiane79
Old
Thanks Meter 40
Who is your carrier

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If i was able to help you hit the thanks button

***CURRENT DEVICE***
Samsung SM-G900A: Galaxy S5
Samsung SM-V700: Galaxy Gear

***PAST DEVICES***
Samsung SGH-I337: Galaxy S4
HTC Ville: HTC One S
HTC Doubleshot: MyTouch 4G Slide
HTC Pyramid: Sensation 4G
HTC Vision: G2
HTC Dream: G1
HTC Leo: HD2
HTC Rhodium: Touch Pro 2
HTC Herald: Wing

Chinio007
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiane79 View Post
Who is your carrier

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
metro PCS

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 866
No there isn't. If you've been with your carrier for long enough, they will unlock it for you for free.

Chogan5151
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Smile Galaxy S5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yehya elmasry View Post
I was wondering if someone came up with a free way to unlock the galaxy s5. It costs around $40 to get an unlock code online!
I am not sure if this works put this is the information I was given

On the downside of things, the S5 will be locked by the carrier. This means that there is no way the user can use other SIM cards on their device. Having a carrier lock S5 also restricts plenty of freedom with the user.

Well, there is now a way to overcome this. A set of unlock codes for Samsung smartphones have leaked on the internet and it will free every Samsung carrier locked devices. To break the chains on your S5, simply apply the following instruction.

1. Insert the foreign SIM card into your Samsung Galaxy S5.

2. Turn your handset off and back on again.

3. On the dialpad on your phone, type in *#197328640#.

4. Then select [1] UMTS > [1] Debug Screen > [8] Phone Control > [6] Network Lock > Options [3] Perso SHA256 OFF.

5. Wait for 30 seconds or so before returning to your main menu by choosing back.

6. In the main menu, you should see a “Network Lock” message, now choose [4] NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ.

Let me know how it worked for you?
The Following User Says Thank You to Chogan5151 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fffft
Old
Thanks Meter 409
The above post is an outdated S3 unlock method. It will not work for the S5. Many people have tried and no one is reporting success. And anyone who searched the forum would already know this as there have been many, many threads about it.

No one has found a free method to unlock the S5 yet. Read more here. A minority of carriers will unlock your phone for free if you have been a customer for at least x months. Or for a specific reason e.g. roaming abroad.

Other than that you will have to pay a third party vendor to unlock your phone. Prices vary from $15 - $75, so it pays to shop around. Prices will drop over time as well and no doubt a free SIM unlock method will be discovered eventually.