Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,786,281 Members 51,291 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Bricked on Justin's T-Mobile rom? Phone thinks its a D801? Here's how you fix it.

Tip us?

2strokenut
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Bricked on Justin's T-Mobile rom? Phone thinks its a D801? Here's how you fix it.

I figured with the amount of bricked LS980s with Justins rom I've been seeing at my shop I might as well make some sort of tutorial to help some people out. Searching doesn't bring up too many threads but there are a couple and hopefully a few of the guys in those chime in. My goal is to make this visible and save many of you hours of trouble. Many thanks to Justinswidebody for building the rom. I won't post the link as most can use the search to find it just fine.

Why does the LS980 brick with Justins rom?

It updates.

I think the majority of people flash the rom and forget to take the necessary steps to prevent an update and when it does it will try to reboot into recovery and wipe the system resulting in a soft brick. Most of the time TWRP will remain, which is good, but reflashing the rom will do no good.

Right after this happens what do I do?

Imeadiately plug in you usb and adb push the stock ZVA rom onto the sdcard
use this command:
adb push nameoffile.zip /sdcard

It will take a while.

Once it finishes you need to wipe everything but internal and flash. Once done, power off and boot into download mode.
Prepare LG Flasher and correct TOT file with DLL. I may post a link later.

In my personal experience with installing justins rom it's best to start fresh with ZV7, trust me you will have less headaches. Once it finishes you're ready to redo the whole thing.

I dicked around with the phone and now I can't get into recovery?!

You have to have recovery on there.

If you can't get into download mode then your journey ends here, not sure there is a fix for that, however, you probably already have it in DL mode and getting a fail "wrong DLL" or some ****. Your phone now thinks it's a T-mobile D801. Forget the sprint files, you're gonna flash the tmobile files just to get it to boot. I actually had a customer bring me the phone and managed to flash the right combo to get it to boot but he didn't know what he did, I'll have to find them.

Now, once booted up you'll notice wifi and data will not work along with keyboard and other things thus making it impossible to download flashify and reflash recovery. The phone, in some cases, will only stay booted for 20 seconds and then reboot over and over. It's like this phone is actively tying to make your life difficult. Relax, and let the adb drivers install. Test it by opening a command prompt and write: cd/
/adb
/adb devices
Allow the rsa key. You won't have time to transfer the stock sprint ota file so we need to transfer it in recovery.

Download the simpletool flasher by OptimusRS, this will flash recovery to your phone and remember to choose d801 not ls980. Reboot into recovery. Once the adb drivers have installed you're going to adb push the stock zip back onto the sdcard like you did before. Wipe everything and flash, then power off. Once you boot into download mode it should recognize the phone as an LS980 once again and you are free to flash the correct tot and dll files.

Congrats! You did it!

How do I prevent this from happening in the future?

I've been fighting with this for a while and I think finally know how to be 100% successful in turning off the OTA, if anyone has something to add please do
  • Go into the app manager and find google services framework and uncheck or disable or both
  • Use a file manager to go up to CACHE and delete the update that will most likely be hiding in there
  • Go up to system/app and rename any service that looks like it would provide an update- LDdownload provider is one. I wish I had a list of all of them but I really don't know what the exact app is.

Special thanks to all the guys contributing in these threads:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2641831
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2682926
T-mobile Galaxy Note 3
The Following User Says Thank You to 2strokenut For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Anoop S S
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Post Exactly at this point

I am exactly at this point, but not turned on usb debugging, so i don't have adb access to the phone. When I try to flash the phone with ls980 TOT it says, the device is D801 and if I try D801 KDZ file, it shows an error message "previousLoad()". I have both download mode and Recovery mode. I have tried sideloading rom on recovery, but I get an error like "E: footer invalid, E: signature invalid"
What can I do to unbrick it. I am trying desperately for the past few weeks.

2strokenut
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anoop S S View Post
I am exactly at this point, but not turned on usb debugging, so i don't have adb access to the phone. When I try to flash the phone with ls980 TOT it says, the device is D801 and if I try D801 KDZ file, it shows an error message "previousLoad()". I have both download mode and Recovery mode. I have tried sideloading rom on recovery, but I get an error like "E: footer invalid, E: signature invalid"
What can I do to unbrick it. I am trying desperately for the past few weeks.

Honestly, this kind of brick is a bitch. I had a customer bring in one that he actually used Flashtool to put on the original t-mobile dll and tot file, and adb does not work in order to get recovery on. Sucks.

Not many people have experience with this stuff and flashtool is a pain when this happens
T-mobile Galaxy Note 3
Tags
brick, d801, justins rom, ls980, recovery