Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,547 Members 45,778 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

LectureNotes app

Tip us?

nickzeff
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Default Feature Suggestions

Hi @acadoid,

I am a dedicated fan of your application... some of my comments are way back on this thread. I want to say thanks for your excellent app and constant improvements. Can I suggest some feature requests gathered together from my usage over the last year: These are of course completely subjective and selfishly aligned with how I work!

Hide Action Bar Icon

I like the fact you can hide the bar, leaving only the launcher icon. However, when you hit the launcher to make the bar visible, it's a bit tiresome to go through the text menu to hide the action bar again. Having an icon, or a "handle" or some other mechanism to hide the bar with a click would be great.

Different textures for pencils

I do appreciate you can modify the softness of pencils, turn them into highlighters and so on. However, other note taking tools offer a range of pencil types with different textures. Absent from LectureNotes is the ability to choose pencils which look like actual pencils, or crayons. You have pens and highlighters covered, for sure! Have a look at the newly released Bamboo Paper app for some good examples of these.

Export to Evernote features

I know these are on your roadmap, but I would like to put in my vote for some features such as:
  • Resizing of pages before export to Evernote (I'm happy to halve the page size before they get inserted into a note).
  • More flexible tagging of exported pages. This could be adding additional tags at time of export (even a list of recently used tags would be great). Another approach might be simply setting up additional fixed tag rules per notebook (for this notebook, I want to tag it with "Project Victory" and "Meetings" and "Tablet" for example)
  • Assigning title of note automatically from text layer (I use the text layer to title my notes and always end up copying and pasting the text as a note title in Evernote.

Automatic scheduled backup of settings

This would be helpful for me, rather than manually having to backup settings (I like to fiddle around a lot, so my settings change regularly).

Notebook board display - change appearance

Add an option to remove the white rectangle under the notebook name, and change the colour of the notebook name text. This would make them look less "square and clunky". This is of course totally subjective on my part!

Notebook page moving

Love the copy pages to notebook feature, since I sometimes write notes in the wrong notebook and have to migrate meeting notes into a different place. However, the addition of a MOVE to notebook option would be great, since I would not have to go back and delete the pages I have just copied. As an extension of this, it would be good to PRESERVE the original page creation date when copying/moving (instead the destination pages get a new creation date). I have the page creation date automatically displayed at the bottom of my pages using a custom pattern - this helps me update the creation time in Evernote when I do my weekly organising.

acadoid
Old
Thanks Meter 659
@nickzeff: Many thanks for your kind comments.

1. Interesting idea. I am thinking about to optionally allow for a kind of automatic hiding of the action bar after some time of inactivity.

2. To allow for more properties for the custom pencils is on my agenda.

3a./3b. Interesting ideas, I noted them down.
3c. I am not sure whether I understand. With `title of note´ you refer to the title used for Evernote export, right? How should the content of the text layer (which could be a lot) set that?

4. Interesting idea, LectureNotes could automatically created time stamp files.

5. You can set images for notebook and folder icons (long-click on the cover in the new notebook/folder dialog or the notebook/folder settings dialog) and disable the label altogether. To allow to change the text color can be done, I guess it would be sufficient to do that for all notebooks and folders, not independently for each notebook and folder, right?

6. After you copied tagged pages to a different notebook, you can just click on the `trash´ icon, select `delete tagged pages´ in the menu, and confirm, this makes three extra clicks. When you write `I would not have to go back and delete the pages´, it implies that you first check whether the pages correctly appear in the new notebook.

To keep the creation date of pages when you copy them to a different notebook is an interesting idea. The page creation date is currently the moment when a page first occurred in a notebook, and to change that will be tricky. Let me think a moment about that.

nickzeff
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks @acadoid for your fast response, as ever.

Quote:
3c. I am not sure whether I understand. With `title of note´ you refer to the title used for Evernote export, right? How should the content of the text layer (which could be a lot) set that?
Good point. This is just unique to how I use the text layer. I simply use a few words at the top of the page to title the note... the rest is hand written. This probably would not work for people who use the text layer to fill the whole page. Or perhaps the option could be - use the first line of the text layer before a carriage return? I would understand if this is too specific to my needs!

Quote:
5. You can set images for notebook and folder icons (long-click on the cover in the new notebook/folder dialog or the notebook/folder settings dialog) and disable the label altogether. To allow to change the text color can be done, I guess it would be sufficient to do that for all notebooks and folders, not independently for each notebook and folder, right?
I love as much customisation as possible, so if it were up to me the title background colour and transparency would be customisable for each notebook, as well as the font / size / colour / transparency of the title text! I leave it to you to decide which of these functionalities (if any) you decide to implement.