T-Mobile HTC One M8 Gets Selfie-Friendly Android 4.4.4 OTA

The T-Mobie variant of HTC One (M8) just now received an over-the-air update … more

Android L is for Lockdown

Root is, without a doubt, the (un)holy grail of the Android world. Those wonderful permissions that allow you as … more

XDA Xposed Tuesday: XHangouts Will Improve Your Hangouts

Ever since Google started supporting text messaging in Hangouts many people have … more

Shattered Screen? Turn Your Broken Device into a Complete Media Center!

A cracked screen usually means you’ll have to spend a hefty … more

[Q] Bought an S5 on eBay? How to tell if it is a refurb? Does this sound fishy?

OP alex_tytn

18th May 2014, 04:51 AM   |  #11  
Thanks Meter: 875

1,284 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_tytn

Thanks for the updates.

OOOPS!

Now I feel bad about naming the seller -- she was super nice on the phone and the phone was shipped very quickly. That being said it wasn't in new condidition, someone tried to cover that up (on the outside) and I find it odd that customs would have Samsung "DO NOT ACCEPT IF SEAL IS BROKEN" stamps. I wonder who really put the new seal on top of the old seal.

But I still feel bad if I in any way slandered them (which I obviously clearly have). Especially if was incorrect in my reason for doing so.

Still interested to hear more comments about your counts and/or methods for checking a phone and/or what you would do in my case.

What you can do is edit your previous posts - add a note or remove the names...
18th May 2014, 05:02 AM   |  #12  
Flag Oxford
Thanks Meter: 209

240 posts
More
Quote:

Thanks for the updates.

OOOPS!

Now I feel bad about naming the seller -- she was super nice on the phone and the phone was shipped very quickly. That being said it wasn't in new condidition, someone tried to cover that up (on the outside) and I find it odd that customs would have Samsung "DO NOT ACCEPT IF SEAL IS BROKEN" stamps. I wonder who really put the new seal on top of the old seal.

But I still feel bad if I in any way slandered them (which I obviously clearly have). Especially if was incorrect in my reason for doing so.

Still interested to hear more comments about your counts and/or methods for checking a phone and/or what you would do in my case.

looking at my s5 box, which i purchased from my mobile carrier EE (one of the biggest service providers in the UK)
you can see in the picture I've taken I have a second broken seal sticker. nothing to worry about bro, test all the phones features to make sure they work and check for scratches etc.. if all is ok, you have yourself a good 8 core s5, now stop being so paranoid lol enjoy your phone!
IMAGE OF MY BOX
The Following User Says Thank You to stalli0nUK For This Useful Post: [ View ]
18th May 2014, 05:10 AM   |  #13  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakester09

What you can do is edit your previous posts - add a note or remove the names...

DONE in the post and picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalli0nUK

looking at my s5 box, which i purchased from my mobile carrier EE (one of the biggest service providers in the UK)
you can see in the picture I've taken I have a second broken seal sticker. nothing to worry about bro, test all the phones features to make sure they work and check for scratches etc.. if all is ok, you have yourself a good 8 core s5, now stop being so paranoid lol enjoy your phone!
IMAGE OF MY BOX

Wow. THANK YOU!

I guess that I need to stop reading so much conspiracy stuff. Actually I just Google'd "conspiracy theories" and have a lot of studying to do -- there are millions of them!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...iracy_theories

Last edited by alex_tytn; 18th May 2014 at 05:20 AM. Reason: Took advice.
18th May 2014, 04:40 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 11

84 posts
My new out the box s5 had a headphone count of 4

Sent from my SM-G900F using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
18th May 2014, 05:29 PM   |  #15  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 356

1,448 posts
Donate to Me
More
Guys, there are no refurb S5's on the market unless it has been repaired by some seller himself and resold. Refurbed units have not yet had time to go through the refurbishing cycle which takes close to 2 months. If any of you had their phone broken by something covered under warranty, you'd all get a new unit provided by your carrier and not a refurbed unit.

All of you that bought on ebay simply bough a used unit sold as new.
19th May 2014, 12:28 AM   |  #16  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 1

33 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polish_pat

Guys, there are no refurb S5's on the market unless it has been repaired by some seller himself and resold. Refurbed units have not yet had time to go through the refurbishing cycle which takes close to 2 months. If any of you had their phone broken by something covered under warranty, you'd all get a new unit provided by your carrier and not a refurbed unit.

All of you that bought on ebay simply bough a used unit sold as new.

Good points.

One bad thing about having an octacore in the US is that Samsung won't support it. As soon as you tell them the IMEI (required to open a case) they tell you to call someone else.
19th May 2014, 05:11 AM   |  #17  
Flag Montreal
Thanks Meter: 356

1,448 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

Good points.

One bad thing about having an octacore in the US is that Samsung won't support it. As soon as you tell them the IMEI (required to open a case) they tell you to call someone else.

Yeah, it makes sense. But thats not Samsung's fault. The carriers push samsung to act that way. In canada, you never have to deal with Samsung, you simply call your carrier, tell them your phone is not working, and if after their basic troubleshooting steps the phone still doesn't work, they send you a new or refurbished unit with a return box to send back your defective unit. It's much better that way as you have no down time. Also, it means no matter if your phone is rooted and you fried your cpu because you dont know how to overclock, samsung never has to approve of the return. I know that because i fried my s3 by overvolting and overclocking my phone and i still got a unit provided by my carrier.

Sent from my Galaxy S5
19th May 2014, 03:12 PM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 41

142 posts
More
appinfo shows 3 headphone uses on my phone as well and I have never had any inserted

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
26th July 2014, 01:40 AM   |  #19  
Thanks Meter: 96

870 posts
Thanks for the advice about this program.
I got a replacement just today from T-Mobile and wanted to see if it was refurbished or not and my counts are 80 on headset and 260 on charger.
So that answers my question.
So much for the expectation of a new one they told me.
If it don't fix the wifi calling issue that line had it will be going back.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
ebay, galaxy s5, sm-g900h
Previous Thread Next Thread