Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,743,029 Members 43,568 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AT&T Asus Padfone X Unlock

Tip us?

DTR204
Old
Thanks Meter 16
Exceptions can be made for certain customers that must travel internationally...specifically for military, or goodwill/missionary work. If your convincing enough you can get it done

b22ri22an
Old
Thanks Meter 20
I had a lengthy conversation with AT&T as well as a BBB complaint filed against them for just this reason.

A subsidy lock is placed on all devices regardless if it is subsidized or not. They will provide an unlock code only if you meet their ransom demand of 3 full months of promptly paid service on the device in question on their network after paying full retail value for the handset. At that point you can request an unlock code and in 5 to 10 business days you will receive the unlock code by email. So basically you can finally migrate to T-Mobile or another carrier with the device after about 100 days of ownership of a device with an average expected usage of only 365 days.

when speaking to a representative from the office of the president of AT&T Mobility in regards to the BBB complaint I was told this and I quote verbatim what was told to me "If you don't like our terms for sale of an AT&T branded headset you can always choose to buy from another company with terms more favorable to you."
The Following User Says Thank You to b22ri22an For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ed_istheword
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Is unlocking going to be very effective on other US networks?
I mean, if it can barely call/text and would have poor to no LTE/usable mobile data, is it really going to be worthwhile to unlock? That's been the problem with importing previous Padfone models, and I find it hard to believe that an AT&T-exclusive device would be much different...

Granted, I hope that's not the case, because my AT&T contract is almost up and I really need a device upgrade...

Twotems
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed_istheword View Post
Is unlocking going to be very effective on other US networks?
I mean, if it can barely call/text and would have poor to no LTE/usable mobile data, is it really going to be worthwhile to unlock? That's been the problem with importing previous Padfone models, and I find it hard to believe that an AT&T-exclusive device would be much different...

Granted, I hope that's not the case, because my AT&T contract is almost up and I really need a device upgrade...
It should work perfectly on other US networks. Imported models don't have the necessary data frequencies for all US networks (especially Tmobile). I'm buying the padfone e (dual sim, quadband wcdma) and using it as my backup phone and primary tablet. I'll use my K910 as a hotspot if I really need mobile data but my tablets are primarily used on wifi.
Lenovo K910
The Following User Says Thank You to Twotems For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ed_istheword
Old
(Last edited by ed_istheword; 15th July 2014 at 05:38 PM.) Reason: typos, some sentences weren't very clear
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twotems View Post
It should work perfectly on other US networks. Imported models don't have the necessary data frequencies for all US networks (especially Tmobile). I'm buying the padfone e (dual sim, quadband wcdma) and using it as my backup phone and primary tablet. I'll use my K910 as a hotspot if I really need mobile data but my tablets are primarily used on wifi.
But how do we actually know if it'll work well? Do we have access to the white sheets, or some other listing of it's supported frequencies?
It just seems like, if it's only on AT&T in the US, then it's probably built for AT&T and less compatible than we'd like.

italk
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default any hope for non at customers?

I just padfone x and I'm looking for a way to unlock it. I'm not an art customer (T-Mobile). I ve tried unlocking websites but no one has been able to do it. Help!?

hpcorona
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by italk View Post
I just padfone x and I'm looking for a way to unlock it. I'm not an art customer (T-Mobile). I ve tried unlocking websites but no one has been able to do it. Help!?
I could only find Unlookitnow, but dont' Know if it works... l ended up ordering a Padfone S instead

Sent from my ASUS_T00N using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ohsirus
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
As previously advised I am a Tmo customer I used a friends ATT account as a means to get around the unlocking. After about a 1 1/2 months of having ATT open cases and reviewing the account to have it unlocked, it did get unlocked.

This was not an easy feat at all. Literally took calling in almost every other day, speaking with "supervisors/managers" making many complaints to have it resolved.

The concept is annoying that I have to but the device full price and cant do what I want with my device. Glad the unlocking bill was passed even though there will still be a lot of red tape from carriers to get codes.

I am using Tmo LTE and havent had any data issues w/ us bands. Again it was a process, however I ddnt have to spend anymore than what I paid for the device and grateful for my friend for helping me with that.