Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,360 Members 48,997 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Signal reception: M8 vs S4

Tip us?

rushless
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper Thorn View Post
Just chiming in here to say that I've noticed the same thing with my HTC One max. My DNA was an absolute champ, and very possibly my favorite phone I've ever owned. The reception was fantastic, I don't recall seeing 3G on that for the entire year that I used it as my daily driver.

Moving to the metal One max, however, I am dropping into 3G on a daily basis. I contacted HTC support about it, and they said it shouldn't be happening that frequently where I live (Chicago suburbs) so they sent me a warranty replacement. It behaves the same way. I've tried replacing the SIM card as well, and nothing has improved the data reception.

My wife still uses her DNA daily, and she doesn't experience the same issues that I do, so I have to assume it's the metal case on my One max, or something else hardware-related.

The device is all aluminum with little non metal area for the antennas. Not seeing how it would not have better signal without the unibody aluminum. iPhone is metal, but has plastic window areas for the antennas.

M8 to me is style over functional substance due to the metal. That said, no denying it has a lot of style.

replica9000
Old
Thanks Meter 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushless View Post
The device is all aluminum with little non metal area for the antennas. Not seeing how it would not have better signal without the unibody aluminum. iPhone is metal, but has plastic window areas for the antennas.

M8 to me is style over functional substance due to the metal. That said, no denying it has a lot of style.
I've always found HTC devices to have better reception than Samsung devices. My M7 and M8 signal is just as good if not better than my Incredible and Rezound were.
Audiovox CDM-9000
LG VX10
Audiovox CDM-9500
Motorola V710
Motorola E815
Motorola Q Black
Samsung Omnia SCH-i910 w/Adrynalyne's WM-6.1 v1.6
HTC Incredible ADR6300VW2 [S-Off] w/ CyanogenMod 7 & IncrediKernel
Samsung Galaxy Nexus [returned]
HTC Rezound ADR6425LVW [S-Off] w/ Beanstalk and Hiro Kernel.
HTC One M7 HTC6500LVW [S-Off] [sold}
HTC One M8 HTC6525LVW [S-Off]
Kein Mitleid Für Die Mehrheit!

eikast
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushless View Post

Not to nitpick but the iPhone has glass not plastic for signal I think that you were talking about the original iPhone

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

T4rd
Old
(Last edited by T4rd; 12th June 2014 at 01:58 PM.)
Thanks Meter 35
I came form a Note 2, and I think my M8 gets slightly less reception than it, esp in terms of holding onto 4G signal. Because I work in a basement of a building, where my Note 2 was usually able to hold onto a bar or two of LTE like 90% of the time. Now my M8 constantly flips between 4G and 3G, usually sticking to 3G when I go to actually use the data connection.

I've done a few dB comparison tests between my M8 and my wife's GS4 side by side and the GS4 seems to always be about -5 dBs lower/better than my M8 as well. This is really the only area (besides the camera) where I'm somewhat disappointed in the M8s performance. I'm hoping a baseband update will be able to improve this connection stability.

I've noticed a lot of times too, where I'll have a data connection, say a few bars of 3G, but the phone will not acknowledge that it's connected. So when I try to use any app requiring network access, it immediately tells me I don't have a connection and to try again later. Has anyone else seen this?

On the flip side though, WiFi reception seems to be better on my M8 than my Note 2, as I can go further away from my house and maintain connection (like when I'm mowing) on my M8 than I could with my Note 2.
Sent from hardware running software.

DrGlitchyPhD
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I just got a replacement m8 after mine had worse 4g reception than my galaxy nexus. It also hated reconnecting to 4g after going to 3g. I always had to use airplane mode or restart to get 4g again. The new one is working good so far.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

AlexGMC
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Default The HTC Radio is great!

I get much better reception with my M8 than with my GS3. The signal cannot go through the metal back of the phone so the antenna is in the black HTC bar.

Dark Reality
Old
Thanks Meter 200
Another vote for the M8, though I've never used an S4, nor any Samsung on Verizon. I come from an S3 on US Cellular. With the S3, and with my prior Samsung, I had to leave my phone in the window. I thought it was just US Cellular, but my wife got the Moto X (still on US Cellular) and got great signal! I switched to Verizon for the M8 and I get great signal now too.

I've always heard Motorola has the best signal, too. There's an old saying that "You can't outrun Motorola" that predates phones, referring to radios in cop cars. Motorola know what they're doing (more so with radios than smartphones). Samsung is dead last. They're more concerned with copying Apple than anything else. Android has supported soft keys for how long? Since 2011? But until Apple does, Samsung won't get on board with that. I just think Samsung is cheap all around. I strongly considered switching to iPhone after two Samsung phones. The One M8 makes me glad I didn't.
HTC One M8 / Verizon / CleanROM