[APP][2.3+] Lux Auto Brightness

Search This thread

jasonsf

Oct 27, 2008
Tucson, AZ
What is the difference between CF. Lumen and Lux Auto?. Sorry to ask.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 4 mediante Tapatalk

Cf. Lumen handles the night mode (reduced blue light) and astronomer mode (only red light). It doesn't do brightness adjustments. When used as a plug - in for lux, it handles those color adjustments at night for lux.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sir_gpm

Sir_gpm

May 27, 2011
Managua
POCO X4 Pro
But in my N4 case, Does it makes sense to have the n4 plugin & cf. Lumen driver?..looks like one disable the other.

Jan 17, 2014
transparent notification ad

I apologize if this has been asked & answered already. I am new to Lux and loving it so far.

Is there anyway to implement transparency within the notification control?

Thanks you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-20-09-30-42.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-20-09-30-42.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 260

jasonsf

Oct 27, 2008
Tucson, AZ
But in my N4 case, Does it makes sense to have the n4 plugin & cf. Lumen driver?..looks like one disable the other.

From what the OP has said, the device-specific plug-in is better than cf.lumen. I have a LG G2 and have no plug-in available, so I'm using cf.lumen. Well, I was, but it is a bit too buggy right now. Seems to flicker a lot and get way too bright sometimes.

Reactions: Sir_gpm

Sir_gpm

May 27, 2011
Managua
POCO X4 Pro
So @jasonsf thanks for being nice and answer my question. it means is better to have te n4 plugin that lumen driver that is for those phones that does not have specific plugin.

niphoet

Jul 14, 2007
Amazon Fire TV
OnePlus 6
Hi, I'm using Lux on the latest CM11 nightlies (Galaxy s3). I have enabled "long press back button to kill app." If I'm at my launcher (Nova) and I long press Back, it will kill Lux. I even converted Lux to a system app and it's still happening. Is there someway I can make sure this is always running in the background regardless of pressing Back? Tasker, My Data Manager, and GSam Battery Monitor also always run in the background and none of them are killed like this. Thanks for any help!

Atharkhan101

Account currently disabled
Buggy and won't work fully on many devices which has Capella light sensor.

Buggy and won't work fully on devices which has Capella light sensor model cm36283. Please check the attachments.

Attachments

• 2014.07.21-10.33.40-picsay.jpg
    2014.07.21-10.33.40-picsay.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 391
  • 2014.07.21-11.20.40-picsay.jpg
    2014.07.21-11.20.40-picsay.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 413
Last edited:

Atharkhan101

No it didn't worked in latest version too.

I tell you something important. Light sensors are made by some manufacturers. For example, if you have Samsung phone, the light sensor is not made by Samsung itself, it will be some other company. In my case its 'Capella Inc.' made light sensor and my phone is Micromax canvas 4 A210. You can find the manufacturer of the light sensor in the app called 'Android Hardware info'. If it is Capella then you'll find lux annoying.

I reported this issue to the dev 'Vito cassisi' he always blame the sensor or rom while it is not true because he himself did not tested Lux with the phone having Capella light sensor. This app is not made compatible with the light sensors which are made by Capella inc. I compared with my co-workers, some of them have phones with capella light sensor and lux never works fully. But on light sensors whose manufacturer is not capella-- like samsung devices, they work fully. I'm sure that the developer made this app and tested with only Samsung phones which does not have capella light sensor.

Last edited:

Cyb3rGlitch

Apr 12, 2011
No it didn't worked in latest version too. I reported this issue to the dev 'Vito cassisi' he always blame the sensor or rom while it is not true. This app is not made compatible with the light sensors which are made by Capella inc. I compared with my co-workers, some of them have phones with capella light sensor and lux never works fully. But on light sensors whose manufacturer is not capella-- like samsung devices, they work fully. I'm sure that the developer made this app and tested with only Samsung phones which does not have capella light sensor.

I am the developer. The problem you describe has nothing to do with Lux. If the debug page shows limited values then that's simply what your sensor/ROM/kernel provides. This isn't something I can fix because the values are coming directly from Android.

Atharkhan101

Hmm nice to know you are the Dev. Who is Vito then ? Lux is heart of my phone and currently it is having heart attack. When I see lux working perfectly on my friends devices I feel jealous. They have samsung phones mostly like grand, quattro, grand 2 etc. Apart from Capella light sensor, my hardware is much better than their's.

Phones with Capella sensors (Lux wont work well):

-HTC hero
-Micromax Canvas turbo A250 (light sensor model- Capella cm36283) -- Personally checked
-Nexus one
-Micromax Canvas 4 A210 (light sensor model- Capella cm36283) -- Persnoally checked

Have you tested Lux with the above devices ?

Non capella light sensor devices (Lux works great):

-Micromax Mad
-Most Samsung devices

Could you release a patch or something to make lux work well on my phone ? LUX not working is the only thing I regret about the phone I own. I love your great work. Hope you'll do something to fix this.

Please answer the question with the question mark :)

Last edited:

Cyb3rGlitch

Apr 12, 2011
Hmm nice to know you are the Dev. Who is Vito then ? Lux is heart of my phone and currently it is having heart attack. When I see lux working perfectly on my friends devices I feel jealous. They have samsung phones mostly like grand, quattro, grand 2 etc. Apart from Capella light sensor, my hardware is much better than their's.

Phones with Capella sensors (Lux wont work well):

-HTC hero
-Micromax Canvas turbo A250
-Nexus one
-Micromax Canvas 4 A210

Have you tested Lux with the above devices ?

Non capella light sensor devices (Lux works great):

-Micromax Mad
-Most Samsung devices

Please answer the question with the question mark :)

I am Vito, this is just the handle I use on XDA.

I haven't tested on those specific devices (they're quite old), but I have tested on devices like the SGS3 which also has a Capella sensor. I think this has more to do with the device developers than it does the hardware.

Reactions: Atharkhan101

Atharkhan101

Thanks for your reply Vito. However, my heart is broken into thousand pieces. I love my Canvas 4 very much like a baby, baby got partially blind :.( Every app works perfectly well except Lux autobrightness. Its ok if it is beyond your reach to fix this. I have more 2 suggestions for lux, request you, please implement.

1. Latest version is not as good as 1.95
2. When we touch the stars in lux notification, it toggles to Astronomor mode and Normal mode. Can you make it to toggle 3 ways: Astronomer mode - Night mode - Normal mode, if I touch those stars every time?

Cyb3rGlitch

Apr 12, 2011
Thanks for your reply Vito. However, my heart is broken into thousand pieces. I love my Canvas 4 very much like a baby, baby got partially blind :.( Every app works perfectly well except Lux autobrightness. Its ok if it is beyond your reach to fix this. I have more 2 suggestions for lux, request you, please implement.

1. Latest version is not as good as 1.95
2. When we touch the stars in lux notification, it toggles to Astronomor mode and Normal mode. Can you make it to toggle 3 ways: Astronomer mode - Night mode - Normal mode, if I touch those stars every time?

Can you expand on 1?

As for 2, the next update will allow you to choose between toggling night mode or astro mode.

Atharkhan101

Thanks for taking point 2 into consideration. Expanding point 1: I found latest LUX a bit uncomfortable, brightness increases much, previous version 1.95 was comfortable.

One more request, Lux has very vast settings, could you please include user guide or pdf document explaining each settings in much details. I work in Amazon.com tech support, even I at some point unable to grasp few settings what they are meant for, normal people will surely have difficulty.

egore93

Jul 20, 2012
Thank you.. May God keep you healthy always... Keep up the good work. That's all for now.

---------- Post added at 08:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:33 PM ----------

Nice question, exact question I have. As per my common sense, if it adds overlay then there is no battery saving. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Have you thought about flashing a different rom or kernel? You would need to be rooted and have a custom recovery to do so. This may be a fix for your lux lighting problem. Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Atharkhan101

Thank you so much for the idea. I'm rooted and have custom recovery. It would be great if you suggest any kernel. Its better to go with the kernel first then as a last resort, different rom.

Frankly, I don't know how to deal with Kernels. Please give me the kernel and step by step instructions so that i can get rid of the lux problem.

egore93

Jul 20, 2012
Thank you so much for the idea. I'm rooted and have custom recovery. It would be great if you suggest any kernel. Its better to go with the kernel first then as a last resort, different rom.

Frankly, I don't know how to deal with Kernels. Please give me the kernel and step by step instructions so that i can get rid of the lux problem.

Okay let's start with the phone you have, model, make, and carrier. Now what rom are you running? Link to the rom your running also please. What version of rom? You can PM me this information so we don't hijack this thread.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    unnamed.png

Lux - The Original Android Auto-Brightness App

So I thought I should make an XDA thread for Lux, over a year after releasing it to the Play Store!

FULL or FREE

Issues/Suggestions

If you have any issues or suggestions, please add them to the public issue tracker found here. Be sure to search first, duplicated issues will not work in your favour.

News
    • Update to 1.51 released to Play Store!
      - Profiles. Have different behaviour for day and night!
      - Root plug-ins. Custom kernel with RGB control? Make a plug-in to utilise it!
      - Improved notification
      - Low pass filter
      - Cubic interpolation
      - Polish/French/Russian/German/Italian translation
      - Manual sunrise location input
      - Control Dashboard slider with vol. keys
      - Fade duration/step
      - Reduced battery usage
      - Fixes

• Update to 1.06 released to Play Store!
      - Automatic night mode (uses location for sunset/sunrise).
      - Notification priority
      - Enhanced dashboard and notification UI
      - Enable/disable and refresh Lux via Tasker
      - Bug fixes

• Update to 0.76 released to Play Store!
      - Fixed brightness issues after call

• Update to 0.74 released to Play Store!
      - Fixed max/phone brightness preferences swapped
      - Added ignore 0 lux option
      - Made static phone brightness optional

• Update to 0.70 released to Play Store!
      - New 'ascending' automatic mode for zero jitter!
      - Expandable notification for added control (Android 4.1+)
      - Improved efficiency
      - Install to OS functionality
      - Set min/max brightness bounds
      - Adjustable night mode
      - Improved persistence (Android won't kill it!)
      - Fixed Nexus 7 255 luma bug
      - Fixed Tasker 'on wake' revert bug
      - Compat. mode is now known as 'sleep mode'
      - Night Mode now default Dashboard action (hold for Astro. mode)
      - Misc. tweaks and fixes.

App Description

Lux isn't your ordinary brightness app. It intelligently adjusts the brightness of your display based on the environment you're in. If, for example, you step into a dimly lit room, Lux will automatically lower the brightness of your display to make it not only comfortable to read, but to also preserve battery power.
    Lux provides the option to automatically adjust the backlight at fixed intervals (periodic mode), when a change in environment is detected (dynamic mode), or when the phone wakes from sleep. It's also possible to adjust the backlight manually. Simply disable automatic mode and you can use it like a traditional brightness tool!
    Perhaps the best thing about Lux is that you can teach it how to behave. If the backlight is too bright or dim for your liking, simply open the provided Dashboard, adjust the brightness slider to the level you desire, then hold the link button. Lux will use this new 'link' as a reference in future.

Give it a go! I want you to test Lux for more than the 15 minute refund period offered by Google. I understand that some devices may not have the best quality light sensor, and that you may need more time to play around with settings. If you find that Lux doesn't suit you after the 15 minutes is up, you can request a refund at any time via e-mail - no questions asked.

★FEATURES★
    ■ Custom auto brightness.
    ■ Sub-zero brightness to make reading in the dark significantly less irritating.
    ■ Battery efficient
    ■ Handy brightness widget
    ■ Option to use the camera to read in ambient light.
    ■ Power-user settings such as choice of interpolation, sensor debugging, and linked sample editing.
    ■ Backup to SD.
    ■ 'Ascending' auto mode for phones with inaccurate light sensors.
    ■ Gradual fade for backlight adjustments.
    ■ Astronomer mode adds a red filter to the screen to preserve the eyesight of stargazers.
    ■ Jitter control to prevent constant small changes to the backlight.
    ■ Automatic night mode, to change the colour temperature of the display for comfortable night time viewing.
    ■ Add app specific exceptions via sleep mode
    ■ No ads, or other nuisances.
    ■ Tasker and Locale support!
    Note: Please disable other brightness apps before using Lux. The author is not liable for any issues caused when using this app.

★PERMISSIONS★
    TAKE PICTURES AND VIDEOS: Used to read in luma values, if camera input is selected.
    DRAW OVER OTHER APPS: Required for night/astro mode.
    READ PHONE STATE: Required to prevent Lux from interfering with phone controls in Android 4.1.
    MODIFY SYSTEM SETTINGS: Brightness is a system setting, as is toggling the default auto brightness.
    RETRIEVE RUNNING APPS: Required to make the 'sleep list' functionality work, so Lux can disable itself when certain apps are in the foreground.
    COARSE LOCATION: Required to automatically calculate sunrise/sunset times.
    IN APP BILLING: Required for purchasing future device specific root only plug-ins, to enhance functionality.
    Lux Low-Level Plug-ins

Soon Lux will support plug-ins to bypass Android API limitations. These plug-ins serve to replace the overlay system Lux uses to make adjustments for Night/Astronomer modes and brightness in general. The plug-in library is free to use for non-commercial development, and can be found here:

Lux Plug-in Library | Nexus 4 Sample Plug-in Code

How to make a plug-in

There are two approaches to making a plug-in for Lux. The passive and the active method. The former is as easy as providing a set of superuser commands for Lux to interpret and apply. These command correlate to functions such as setting pixel RGB or brightness levels. This is the type of plug-in the Nexus 4 sample linked above takes.
    The active method requires you produce your own code to perform RGB/brightness adjustments. This might include importing a device specific library to do the heavy lifting, and then returning empty superuser commands back to Lux.

Getting Started

Simply import the Lux Plug-in Library source into your IDE as an Android Library Project, and then create a new Android app which extends PassiveDisplay.java.

PassiveDisplay provides hooks into Lux's plug-in framework, which you can use to provide superuser commands for Lux to execute. These commands correlate to functions such as setting RGB values. Take a look at the sample Nexus 4 project to see how it's all done.
    Finally, in your new project's AndroidManifest.xml file, add the following:

Code:
        <activity
            android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.MainActivity"
            android:label="@string/app_name" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />

<category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER" />
            </intent-filter>
        </activity>

<receiver
            android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.LuxBroadcastReceiver"
            android:exported="true" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="com.vitocassisi.lux.plugin.search" />
            </intent-filter>
        </receiver>

<service
            android:name=".[B]MY_PLUGIN[/B]"
            android:exported="true" >
            <intent-filter>
                <action android:name="[B]YOUR_PACKAGE_NAME_HERE[/B]" />
            </intent-filter>
        </service>

Be sure to replace YOUR_PACKAGE_NAME_HERE with the name of your plug-in's package, and MY_PLUGIN with your extended PassiveDisplay class.

And that's it! Now you're ready to test!

Enabling Plug-In support within Lux

To enable plug-in support, you must check 'Enable plug-in support' in the Advanced section of Lux settings. Enabling this option forfeits all responsibility of mine for any issues caused while using Lux. Plug-in's can cause very real damage to your device if they're written incorrectly - don't use plug-ins from sources you don't trust!
    Testing your plug-in
    Testing is critical for creating a good plug-in. You are dealing directly with system files, and can easily cause damage if you do not know what you're doing.

DO NOT RELEASE A PLUG-IN WITHOUT TESTING IT ON THE TARGET DEVICE FIRST!

Ensure that the following work with your plug-in installed:
    • Astronomer Mode
    • Night Mode
    • General brightness adjustment
    • Lux readings functional

BE METICULOUS WITH YOUR IMPLEMENTATION OF isSupportedDevice()!
    Modifying system files on the wrong model/kernel may cause irreversible issues!

Licence
    Code:
    Copyright © 2013 Vito Cassisi

You may not use this library except in compliance with the following:
        - It cannot be used for commercial purposes under any circumstances, unless explicit permission is granted in writing from the author.
        - Modifications to this library may not be distributed.

Unless required by applicable law or agreed to in writing, software
    distributed under this licence is distributed on an "AS IS" BASIS,
    WITHOUT WARRANTIES OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND, either express or implied.
    Lux v1.99.8 released (staged rollout)

- Added CF.lumen support (don't need CF.lumen active, just install the driver). Acts as a plug-in for all Android 4.4+ devices. Please buy the pro version to support his work.
    - System autobrightness enabled during calls
    - Option to shake at lockscreen to increase brightness
    - Option to prevent drop in brightness in landscape
    - Enforced persistent notification, added system removal method
    - Fixed dashboard width issue
    - Fixed notification priority resetting at boot
    - Misc. fixes
    Hey everyone. Sorry to hear that people are having issues with the paid version. I'm working on hotfixes at the moment. A lot of these bugs don't appear on my test devices, which is why regressions happen seemingly randomly. I'm working hard on finding a reliable way to reproduce and test these issues to prevent this happening again.
    Apologies to everyone for not being around lately. I've been answering support via email.

A new release is rolling out on the market to 5% of users. Please use the 'Send Feedback' button in Lux preferences if you experience issues. Also, feel free to email me with any questions or concerns.