FORUMS

Introducing Voices of XDA: Have Your Ideas Heard

By far the greatest assets we have at XDA-Developers are you, the developers, the eager … more

Unofficial Xposed For Lollipop Touchwiz With Flashable Zip

XDA Recognized Developer arter97 has released an unofficial build … more

YotaPhone 2 Pre-Order, Xperia Z1 Price Cut – XDA TV

Android Wear 5.1.1 OTA downloads are now available. That and much more news is … more

[FTF] Sony Xperia Z Lollipop Release

Sony rolled out a Lollipop update for Xperia Z just yesterday. If you still haven’t gotten … more
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread

PHOTON Q extended battery MOD

17th June 2014, 02:46 AM |#1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 5

More
Ok heres the deal

This is not a HOW to but More of its, Possible and How i did it, My Mod is very raw, and ugly, but it is sturdy and Functional so I felt it was worth Posting

Materials Used

I had several things Lying around that aided this Mod Greatly First was a Dead droid razer Maxx someone gave me that did some time swimming when he fell off his boat

So I used the Eb40 3200 Miiliamp battery as the base for this Mod

I pillaged the Following from the razor Max board

the Power Connection

i used baking soda and super Glue to secure it into place into a hole I cut into the Photons Back cover after securing the new power connection I wired the new battery to the photon Q board, on this part I soldered the Data wires very gently using the Hard won skills I earned while doing the sim card mod on the same phone, this connections are done very lightly with very thin wiring, leaving it reverseable if i so chose todo so..

the EB41 battery and the eb40 battery have mirror image connections to each other so when wiring up the eb40, remember to arrange them in the correct order, which is Opposite the eb41

now i built a harness for the eb40 battery using a cheep 3 dollar rubber coated case off amazon using the same baking soda and super glue trick to build the pocket to hold the battery, then doing a wee bit of finishing using JB weld

Im not sure how to attach photos here but will give this a shot, enjoy and I wish you Luck if u wish to attempt this yourselves using what I have Pioneered
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140616_210351[1].jpg
Views:	619
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	2802515   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140616_210455[1].jpg
Views:	618
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	2802516   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140616_212147[1].jpg
Views:	631
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	2802517   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140616_212217[1].jpg
Views:	662
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	2802518  
Last edited by Morecrabs; 17th June 2014 at 02:48 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Morecrabs For This Useful Post: [ View ]

18th June 2014, 10:09 AM |#2  
Flag Prague
Thanks Meter: 261

Donate to Me
More
...it looks crazy

unfortunately this is not save for charging ic inside phone
18th June 2014, 01:47 PM |#3  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornholioGSM

...it looks crazy

unfortunately this is not save for charging ic inside phone

how so? hopefully not something i missed the orginal eb 41 is gone are u speaking of a resistance issue with the new wiring? i guess im a bit confused how does any other phone accept an extended battery if not in this fashion?

the mod basically just provides an external jack on the back of the phone to accept the eb40 the unit has been charging fine

but if there is potential for damage please elaborate
20th June 2014, 07:11 PM |#4  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 1,769

More
The mod is nice but your phone looks like crap now
21st June 2014, 12:21 AM |#5  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilax_CZ

ill post updated pics i have done some painting and sanding on the battery hoslter its alot cleaner now
21st June 2014, 12:29 AM |#6  
OP Junior Member

More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilax_CZ

ill post updated pics i have done some painting and sanding on the battery hoslter its alot cleaner now
also a reminder that bbig ugly thing is a modified protective case backing to hold the its not part of the phone
26th July 2014, 05:28 AM |#7  
OP Junior Member

More
havent much to post about on the cosmetic end of things, but id like to report that still going strong with an average battery life of 2 days between charges or 4- 5 hours of straight ingress play if the mood requires, so id say the mod is an overall success inspite of its socks in sandles cosmetic apperance so i will choose the much extended functionality over the poor cosmetic appearance, but each day this phone sees very hard use as it bascially functions as my first line of use for all my work invoicing and parts researching I do 8 -12 hour days of appliance repair work, and a charge usually lasts an entire day now vs the dead in 3 hours the previous battery offered me, so after all this elapsed time, i can say to anyone else wishing to try this, mine has been a total success, and when i get around to making it pretty ill post pics
26th July 2014, 08:13 PM |#8  
Flag Delft
Thanks Meter: 31

More
I applaud any mod. But in this case I am wonderig why you didn't order one of those USB powerbanks on Ebay for $ 10,- and replaced the 18650 internal battery with let's say a decent Panasonic 3600mAh? That's what I did. It can fully charge a Photon Q and is about the size of an oldskool bubble gum pack
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread