Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,779,915 Members 37,397 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

PHOTON Q extended battery MOD

Tip us?

Morecrabs
Old
(Last edited by Morecrabs; 17th June 2014 at 02:48 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Lightbulb PHOTON Q extended battery MOD

Ok heres the deal

This is not a HOW to but More of its, Possible and How i did it, My Mod is very raw, and ugly, but it is sturdy and Functional so I felt it was worth Posting

Materials Used

I had several things Lying around that aided this Mod Greatly First was a Dead droid razer Maxx someone gave me that did some time swimming when he fell off his boat

So I used the Eb40 3200 Miiliamp battery as the base for this Mod

I pillaged the Following from the razor Max board

the Power Connection

i used baking soda and super Glue to secure it into place into a hole I cut into the Photons Back cover after securing the new power connection I wired the new battery to the photon Q board, on this part I soldered the Data wires very gently using the Hard won skills I earned while doing the sim card mod on the same phone, this connections are done very lightly with very thin wiring, leaving it reverseable if i so chose todo so..

the EB41 battery and the eb40 battery have mirror image connections to each other so when wiring up the eb40, remember to arrange them in the correct order, which is Opposite the eb41

now i built a harness for the eb40 battery using a cheep 3 dollar rubber coated case off amazon using the same baking soda and super glue trick to build the pocket to hold the battery, then doing a wee bit of finishing using JB weld

Im not sure how to attach photos here but will give this a shot, enjoy and I wish you Luck if u wish to attempt this yourselves using what I have Pioneered
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140616_210351[1].jpg
Views:	304
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	2802515   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140616_210455[1].jpg
Views:	292
Size:	251.1 KB
ID:	2802516   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140616_212147[1].jpg
Views:	305
Size:	248.4 KB
ID:	2802517   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140616_212217[1].jpg
Views:	316
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	2802518  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Morecrabs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

CornholioGSM
Old
Thanks Meter 209

DONATE TO ME
...it looks crazy

unfortunately this is not save for charging ic inside phone

My SIM card mod for Photon Q users:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=32616234
My SIM card mod for Optimus G LS970:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...8#post35347358

Morecrabs
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CornholioGSM View Post
...it looks crazy

unfortunately this is not save for charging ic inside phone
how so? hopefully not something i missed the orginal eb 41 is gone are u speaking of a resistance issue with the new wiring? i guess im a bit confused how does any other phone accept an extended battery if not in this fashion?

the mod basically just provides an external jack on the back of the phone to accept the eb40 the unit has been charging fine

but if there is potential for damage please elaborate

Skrilax_CZ
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 1,342

DONATE TO ME
The mod is nice but your phone looks like crap now
PRIVATE MESSAGES regarding firmwares / support will NOT BE ANSWERED!

Motorola Photon Q
Bootloader: 10.9B
Firmware: CM 11.0

Motorola Droid MAXX
Bootloader: 30.B0
Firmware: Stock 4.4

Acer Iconia A500
Bootloader: V9 0.03.14-MUL (dualboot + recovery + extfs boot + bootmenu)
Android: TegraOwnders JB-MR1 v13
LUbuntu: 13.04

2nd-init for Locked Bootloaders

Acer Iconia A500 / A501 Patched Bootloader Thread

Motorola Phones Stock Firmwares

You may donate me if you like my work.

Morecrabs
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilax_CZ View Post
ill post updated pics i have done some painting and sanding on the battery hoslter its alot cleaner now

Morecrabs
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrilax_CZ View Post
ill post updated pics i have done some painting and sanding on the battery hoslter its alot cleaner now
also a reminder that bbig ugly thing is a modified protective case backing to hold the its not part of the phone

Morecrabs
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
havent much to post about on the cosmetic end of things, but id like to report that still going strong with an average battery life of 2 days between charges or 4- 5 hours of straight ingress play if the mood requires, so id say the mod is an overall success inspite of its socks in sandles cosmetic apperance so i will choose the much extended functionality over the poor cosmetic appearance, but each day this phone sees very hard use as it bascially functions as my first line of use for all my work invoicing and parts researching I do 8 -12 hour days of appliance repair work, and a charge usually lasts an entire day now vs the dead in 3 hours the previous battery offered me, so after all this elapsed time, i can say to anyone else wishing to try this, mine has been a total success, and when i get around to making it pretty ill post pics

Die Bruine
Old
Thanks Meter 21
I applaud any mod. But in this case I am wonderig why you didn't order one of those USB powerbanks on Ebay for $ 10,- and replaced the 18650 internal battery with let's say a decent Panasonic 3600mAh? That's what I did. It can fully charge a Photon Q and is about the size of an oldskool bubble gum pack
Lost my first ID
Canary/Voyager/Magician/Typhoon/Vox/Elf/Raphael/Rhodium/A853/U20i/A953/sk17i/XT894/XT897/HOX+/XT925/D6503
Currently XT897/ D6503