Anyone on T-Mobile US have success S-OFF

OP epsix

8th July 2014, 03:01 AM   |  #381  
Flag Chico, CA
Thanks Meter: 51

442 posts
More
Hey I don't know if this is the right place for this question but I don't want to start a new thread about it. I just bought my m8 (first HTC phone, have been rooting and flashing for years) and I was immediately prompted with an update. I didn't install it cause I didn't want it to mess up my root or soff potential. Here is my current software setup in the picture. Let me know if I can update and still root/soff or if I should do it and not update
8th July 2014, 03:32 AM   |  #382  
Thanks Meter: 72

355 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj8600

Hey I don't know if this is the right place for this question but I don't want to start a new thread about it. I just bought my m8 (first HTC phone, have been rooting and flashing for years) and I was immediately prompted with an update. I didn't install it cause I didn't want it to mess up my root or soff potential. Here is my current software setup in the picture. Let me know if I can update and still root/soff or if I should do it and not update

Aj,

Your Build # is 1.12, so I know you haven't downloaded the update yet. I would recommend turning on the "Update over Wi-Fi only" option in Software Updates, and turn Wi-Fi off until you're COMPLETELY done. This way, your phone can't force a download like mine was trying to. lol

Take it from someone who just had to get their phone REPLACED b/c of not knowing about the "don't d/l updates until AFTER rooting and doing s-off" golden rule....... you DO NOT want to d/l that update until after you've done both rooting and s-off. Trust me. lol

If you're looking a great unrushed instructional on unlocking, rooting, and doing s-off, and also how to d/l updates on a rooted phone (which is good to know b/c it requires extra steps), I highly recommend these videos, which are all customized FOR the M8 (I used them myself):

Unlocking: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEVS...TiEo3F&index=3

Rooting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuHF...TiEo3F&index=4

S-OFF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Hl...TiEo3F&index=2

How to d/l OTA updates on a rooted M8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPPT...iEo3F&index=15

Follow those videos IN ORDER, and you should be JUST fine!

P.S. Make sure you are NOT using the USB 3.0 port on your computer. I had problems getting S-OFF with my first phone, and I'm sure the 3.0 thing was at least partly to blame. After I switched to 2.0, it finally worked.

Good luck!

RockStar2005
Last edited by RockStar2005; 8th July 2014 at 03:34 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RockStar2005 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th July 2014, 09:37 PM   |  #383  
Flag Fairchild AFB, WA
Thanks Meter: 4

17 posts
More
Tutorial
Quote:
Originally Posted by epsix

I've read Tmobile version can't get soff ? Anyone else try it?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

I have three (T-Mobile M8) variants: unlocked, rooted and S-OFF(ed). These are the links I used to do it. This guy is extremely simple, slow & methodical in his videos. Check them out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuHFcGvUjwA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Hlms1BuPg

Good hunting!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to theob_gyn88 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th July 2014, 10:31 PM   |  #384  

355 posts
More
S-OFF
Hey guys........ if I was to do a full factory reset on my phone, and my phone is unlocked/rooted/S-OFF'd, does that disable S-OFF or no? I know it'll stay unlocked/rooted, but not sure about S-OFF.

Thanks,

RockStar2005
26th July 2014, 11:10 PM   |  #385  
Flag Beirut
Thanks Meter: 296

506 posts
More
No success here, firewater says that my M8 is not supported
26th July 2014, 11:15 PM   |  #386  

355 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karim Kahale

No success here, firewater says that my M8 is not supported

What do you mean? I have the M8 and used Firewater to do S-OFF, and it worked. If the phone was properly unlocked & rooted, then in MOST cases it will still work. It didn't work for me at first b/c my last M8 I f'd it up by taking the OTA update BEFORE rooting. But then I learned my lesson and my current phone's unlocking/rooting/S-OFF went fine. Just have to avoid taking the OTA before unlock/root/S-OFF (and also AVOID using USB 3.0, only 2.0), and you're good to go.

RockStar2005
26th July 2014, 11:31 PM   |  #387  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 20

61 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStar2005

What do you mean? I have the M8 and used Firewater to do S-OFF, and it worked. If the phone was properly unlocked & rooted, then in MOST cases it will still work. It didn't work for me at first b/c my last M8 I f'd it up by taking the OTA update BEFORE rooting. But then I learned my lesson and my current phone's unlocking/rooting/S-OFF went fine. Just have to avoid taking the OTA before unlock/root/S-OFF (and also AVOID using USB 3.0, only 2.0), and you're good to go.

RockStar2005

Hmm, I've just bought a T-Mobile M8 recently and never performed any OTA update The radio says 1.16 in the Bootloader and firewater tells me "device was patched by HTC." Does that mean I'm out of luck right now and have to wait for some other tool to come along?
26th July 2014, 11:36 PM   |  #388  

355 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrich

Hmm, I've just bought a T-Mobile M8 recently and never performed any OTA update The radio says 1.16 in the Bootloader and firewater tells me "device was patched by HTC." Does that mean I'm out of luck right now and have to wait for some other tool to come along?

Not sure. Did you root it yet? I THINK you have to unlock/root it before the S-OFF on Firewater will work. Fortunately for you, you HAVEN'T taken the OTA update yet, so unlocking/rooting is still possible. 1.1x can root, 1.5x can't. If you have 1.5x or higher, there may be a way to bring it back 1.1x..... I've heard there is, but can't confirm. You'd have to research it. HTC is totally cool about unlocking your phone, so that Firewater msg may not be true. You may have to research that too. I didn't have any issues with it though, and my replacement phone I have now is only from a month ago.

See my 2 postings on Page 38 of this thread (RockStar2005) to get to where I'm at now. But did u root it?

RockStar2005
26th July 2014, 11:40 PM   |  #389  
Flag Seattle, WA
Thanks Meter: 20

61 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockStar2005

Not sure. Did you root it yet? I THINK you have to unlock/root it before the S-OFF on Firewater will work. Fortunately for you, you HAVEN'T taken the OTA update yet, so unlocking/rooting is still possible. 1.1x can root, 1.5x can't. If you have 1.5x or higher, there may be a way to bring it back 1.1x..... I've heard there is, but can't confirm. You'd have to research it. HTC is totally cool about unlocking your phone, so that Firewater msg may not be true. You may have to research that too. I didn't have any issues with it though, and my replacement phone I have now is only from a month ago.

See my 2 postings on Page 38 of this thread (RockStar2005) to get to where I'm at now. But did u root it?

RockStar2005

Yea, HTCDev-unlocked, rooted, TWRP installed. I tried firewater on a stock ROM and got that message. Currently running ARHD 10.1. Perhaps I could try it on ARHD 10.1.
26th July 2014, 11:46 PM   |  #390  

355 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindrich

Yea, HTCDev-unlocked, rooted, TWRP installed. I tried firewater on a stock ROM and got that message. Currently running ARHD 10.1. Perhaps I could try it on ARHD 10.1.

Yeah I think I used HTC Dev too. And yes TWRP as well. Yeah try it on the new ROM.

Go to Page 38 of this thread and find my postings and see the one about S-OFF. And other stuff. Or here:

S-OFF: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--Hl...TiEo3F&index=2 (very good video)

And remember, to get OTA update (I'm kind of surprised you haven't gotten the recent OTA already, which is 1.5x) if you're phone is rooted, you need to take extra steps. I have this video SAVED in my Bookmarks. I recommend you do the same. You'll need it to get new updates.

Get OTA updates on a rooted M8: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPPT...oy6LpjXrTiEo3F

And also the Harman/Kardon enabler. That will let you upgrade BoomSound to H/K (like the Sprint H/K version). Makes the sound better. (Page 38 2 postings for more info!!) For H/K you need unlock/root, S-OFF is optional but recommended, AND the new OTA, but you get that last after S-OFF. H/K is only available via the 1.5x OTA.

RockStar2005

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread