SCL22 AU - Got Root. I'll help if I can ....
The long story that is my SCL22 (AU) successful root. I’ve been trying for months and doing lots of reading but I did not want to trip the Knox fuse so I kept waiting. Last weekend I went at it hard. I blended a couple of threads together and will try to explain below so the rest of you can try it.
1) I tried lots of ROM downloads but some were broken and some were for the SC-01 (Docomo) which I was reluctant to try. I also installed and reinstalled SU several times but I think I could have just installed it early and left it.
2) I downloaded the “make_rooted_system-rara7886-master” and figured it out. I eventually had to correct line 274 of the .sh file where the word "install" was spelled wrong. I got the system.img.ext4 and cache.img.ext4 output in a nicely wrapped .tar file named . (See step 8) I ran it in Ubuntu 14.04 but it took a little doing. You will need to SUDO it and when it is working you will see the BusyBox and other files copying. When there are no errors, you’ve got it. Link is
3) Next I flashed this ROM with Odin. Easy. But I could not install SU. I thought I failed.
4) So I tried another downloaded file named SCL22KDUBNB1_SCL22KDIBNB1_SCL22KDUBNB1_HOME.tar
This flashed the ROM perfectly and the phone was working fine but once again I couldn’t get root.
5) It seems as long as I am only writing the two .img files, Knox is not tripped. So I think I can keep trying with different versions in the .tar file indefinitely. I must have flashed it 6 or 7 times. (Can anyone confirm this?)
6) I finally ran out of patience and decided to try the SC-01F rooted ROM called
7) This flashed fine but when the phone booted (complete with DOCOMO logo) I kept getting a message “MMBPROCESS stopped unexpectedly” every 10 seconds or so and this made the phone unusable. I wasn’t even able to check for root but I wonder if this was when I actually got root (or later with GNT3eXT?)
8) Then I flashed back to my own custom made .tar.
Again this was easy with Odin. My system was back to normal but when I tried su I got an error. Then I tried GNT3eXT again and was careful to check the boxes. (I had missed this before because they are not worded very clearly) and suddenly I was done. Then I tried su again and it searched for administrative rights and I knew I was good. Rootchecker is fine, RootFTPServer works as does TB. Bluetooth is also fine.
I was working off of a number of explanations but I think this one is pretty close to how I did it.
I did not need to do anything with Busybox and I haven’t installed Xposed either. If I had checked the boxes in GNT3eXT earlier, this may have taken WAY less time. My bad but I got it in the end and I didn’t trip Knox and FeliCa works in case I want it in the future.
So, long story short
1) Get the latest ROM from Samsung. Extract the system.img and cache.img and run it through system-rara7886.
2) Try flashing it and then enabling su in GNT3eXT first. THEN check SU. If this doesn’t work you may consider flashing a ROOTED version of SC-01F and then immediately flashing the ROOTED SCL22 ROM from rara. Then enable GNT3eXT and you’re golden.
Let me know how it goes for you.
Bad quality Youtube video is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LfzWOxcwrQ