Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,222 Members 45,496 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Remove "What's New" Button

Tip us?

R-I-C-O
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I've got an Z1 compact and wanted to get rid of whatsnew as well.
Since the phone is brand new and for the moment I am enjoying the feeling that everything is working well I don't want to root it.
(had a razr before with different roms and all that stuff but there's something not working a 100% everytime)
On page two it says this method is working without root but when I try to adb my phone it says the phone is offline and in the
adb guides it says adb is for root anyway. Is this true and if not what could it be that I'm doing wrong?

Ambroos
Old
Thanks Meter 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by R-I-C-O View Post
I've got an Z1 compact and wanted to get rid of whatsnew as well.
Since the phone is brand new and for the moment I am enjoying the feeling that everything is working well I don't want to root it.
(had a razr before with different roms and all that stuff but there's something not working a 100% everytime)
On page two it says this method is working without root but when I try to adb my phone it says the phone is offline and in the
adb guides it says adb is for root anyway. Is this true and if not what could it be that I'm doing wrong?
ADB is not for root. You just need to enable USB debugging.
Sony Xperia Z2 - D6503, black
Sony Xperia Tablet Z LTE - SGP321, black
Sony Xperia Z1 - C6903, black, backup

Huge Sony (Ericsson) fan.
J210i, K320i, G705, Arc, Elm, Neo, Arc S, Xperia S, Xperia T, Xperia Z, Xperia Z1, Xperia Tablet Z, Xperia Z2

Kashy27
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by akk2 View Post
I just got my Z2 two days ago and I ran into the same problem : What's New app sucks.

So here is the solution without root

1) run adb (I assume you have a working adb)
2) adb shell
3) pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance
4) reboot
5) Done!

And Please "Thanks" me if this works for you.
That worked Perfectly!! thanks dude.

One question though, what would be the reverse of the "pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance" cmd, so the whatsnew button would re-appear? Just in-case i need to send my phone in for repairs......again

And for those wanting an absolute noob explanation:
1: download adb (I cant post outside links yet, so just google this, there should be 3 files in a zip)
2: store it in the root of C:\
3: go into your phone Settings>about Phone>then click like 10 times on the 'build number' box until you are granted developer privileges
4: go into your phone Settings>Developer Options>and enable USB debugging and connect your phone to the computer
3: open cmd in administrator mode
4: navigate to the folder with adb by typing the following: cd c:\adb
5: type the following then press enter: adb shell
6: type the following then press enter pm block com.sonymobile.advancedwidget.entrance
7: reboot
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kashy27 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

taffypride
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Uninstalled it via Titanium Backup Pro....made no noticeable difference other than only having the Google Now on swipe up now

Sent from my D6503 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app