[MOD][GUIDE][12-17-14]MenuBeGone - Lollipop-remap menu button to recent apps

Search This thread

RK

Feb 8, 2012
Disclaimer: This is not my original idea. I searched a lot to find ways to do this without xposed and found one. Unfortunately I cant find the xda post now to give credit.

Edit: Added flashable zip for lollipop stock GPe

This mod will remap the menu button on the S4 to recent apps button like the S5, and force all apps to show a 3-dot (action overflow) menu.

The point is that I don't like Xposed and that this works with ART.

Tested on google edition ROMs. May work on others.

Remap:

Open /system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl and change

Code:
key  139[COLOR="Red"]  MENU[/COLOR]

to

Code:
key  139  [COLOR="Green"]APP_SWITCH[/COLOR]

Force 3-dot menu in all apps:

1. Decompile framework-res.apk
2. Open /res/values/bools.xml and change

Code:
 <bool name="config_showNavigationBar">[COLOR="red"]false[/COLOR]</bool>
to
Code:
 <bool name="config_showNavigationBar">[COLOR="Green"]true[/COLOR]</bool>

3 Open /res/values/dimens.xml and change

Code:
<dimen name="navigation_bar_height">[COLOR="Red"]48.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>
<dimen name="navigation_bar_height_landscape">[COLOR="red"]48.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>
<dimen name="navigation_bar_width">[COLOR="red"]24.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>
to
Code:
<dimen name="navigation_bar_height">[COLOR="Green"]0.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>
<dimen name="navigation_bar_height_landscape">[COLOR="green"]0.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>
<dimen name="navigation_bar_width">[COLOR="green"]0.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>

This works in google edition ROMs and may work in others.

I have attached a flashable mods I made for KANGAKAT 7.0, 8.0, Jamal's 4.4.4 ROM, Danvdh pure nexus and custom ROM, and Stock 4.4.4.

Download (Only the stock zip is tested but they should all work fine. The zip names are "[ROM Name] - MenuBeGone.zip"

http://www.androidfilehost.com/?w=files&flid=16975

Last edited:

DFerb

Mar 30, 2014
Hanoi
Thanks for your work. I love this mod. :good::good:
But can you tell me which application I can use to do this?
I couldn't find the location mentioned in Forced 3 dot menu.

My phone is i9500 using touchwiz based rom.

Reactions: murat_

RK

Feb 8, 2012
I will take a look at TW to see if this is possible. The mod as is only works on AOSP- based Roms.

You can use the xposed module menubegone in the meantime. The xposed module is more powerful any ways..

I use this because I use ART. But there is no ART on touchwiz so you can just use xposed..

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: murat_ and DFerb

DJ_Jedi

Jun 10, 2010
Awesome mod, was looking for it for ages!
Can you please share the zip to go back to original layout? I just flashed it, wanna try for a couple of days but i forgot to backup my files, so im stucked like this if i dont like the multitasking instead of menu button.
Thanks in advance.

RK

Feb 8, 2012
Awesome mod, was looking for it for ages!
Can you please share the zip to go back to original layout? I just flashed it, wanna try for a couple of days but i forgot to backup my files, so im stucked like this if i dont like the multitasking instead of menu button.
Thanks in advance.
Are you on kangakat 7.0?

DJ_Jedi

Jun 10, 2010
Great, cause im totally lost without menu button, i already modded the button layout and got it back, but i prefer to go back to stock framework too. Thanks.

mzone1510

Jan 2, 2011
Goa\Kuwait
Is it possible to add menu by holding the recents button? Would make it perfect

I second this, it will just make it perfect!

I flashed S4-GPe-Stock-5.0-MenuBeGone.zip in my Danvdh GPE5 rom and happened the same, plus the capacitive buttons doesn't make any sound when touched.

Please could you look into this issue too, as I wanna kill my menu button on 5.0 GPe, it sucks having to long press the home button and I also need my vibrations & sounds :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Disclaimer: This is not my original idea. I searched a lot to find ways to do this without xposed and found one. Unfortunately I cant find the xda post now to give credit.

Edit: Added flashable zip for lollipop stock GPe

This mod will remap the menu button on the S4 to recent apps button like the S5, and force all apps to show a 3-dot (action overflow) menu.

The point is that I don't like Xposed and that this works with ART.

Tested on google edition ROMs. May work on others.

Remap:

Open /system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl and change

Code:
    key  139[COLOR="Red"]  MENU[/COLOR]

to

Code:
    key  139  [COLOR="Green"]APP_SWITCH[/COLOR]

Force 3-dot menu in all apps:

1. Decompile framework-res.apk
    2. Open /res/values/bools.xml and change

Code:
     <bool name="config_showNavigationBar">[COLOR="red"]false[/COLOR]</bool>
    to
    Code:
     <bool name="config_showNavigationBar">[COLOR="Green"]true[/COLOR]</bool>

3 Open /res/values/dimens.xml and change

Code:
    <dimen name="navigation_bar_height">[COLOR="Red"]48.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="navigation_bar_height_landscape">[COLOR="red"]48.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="navigation_bar_width">[COLOR="red"]24.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>
    to
    Code:
    <dimen name="navigation_bar_height">[COLOR="Green"]0.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="navigation_bar_height_landscape">[COLOR="green"]0.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="navigation_bar_width">[COLOR="green"]0.0[/COLOR]dip</dimen>

This works in google edition ROMs and may work in others.

I have attached a flashable mods I made for KANGAKAT 7.0, 8.0, Jamal's 4.4.4 ROM, Danvdh pure nexus and custom ROM, and Stock 4.4.4.

Download (Only the stock zip is tested but they should all work fine. The zip names are "[ROM Name] - MenuBeGone.zip"

I will take a look at TW to see if this is possible. The mod as is only works on AOSP- based Roms.

You can use the xposed module menubegone in the meantime. The xposed module is more powerful any ways..

I use this because I use ART. But there is no ART on touchwiz so you can just use xposed..

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
    I'm running JFLTE-GPE 5.0.1 rom. I changed /system/usr/keylayout/Generic.kl and change key 139 MENU to key 139 APP_SWITCH to switch apps faster like on the S5. Works great! I wanted to know if there was any to change long press home button and long press search?
    Long press home actions are defined in the framework. You will need to modify framework-res.apk for that. As for long press search and menu, I have no idea..

OP updated. Download the appropriate zip for the ROM you are using from here:

Did you get this to work on Danvdh 5.0.1 GPE port? If so can you please share the modded famework-res.apk please!
    I will upload a zip for @Danvdh's current ROM but @Danvdh, being the Dev he is, is going to post lots of updates and I don't have time to keep up..